How do you leave your 'Defense' Shotgun? - Page 2

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > How do you leave your 'Defense' Shotgun?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-20-2008, 01:43 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

When I did own a shotgun, I liked to keep the mag tube loaded up, empty chamber, safety off, slide forward. All I had to do was rack it and fire. Now that I have kids, I will change that once I get around to purchasing a new shotgun.

Old 10-18-2008, 08:56 PM   #12

I have a mossberg 500 persuader pistol grip forearm n rear. I leave it chambered n fully loaded alternating buck, slug ect. safety on n right next to my bed. not a smart move invadeing my space. /--==- :::::

Old 10-18-2008, 10:01 PM   #13

Default why do you want a shoot that don't make a load boom

if was going to have a shoot gun to protict me i don't care how load it is if i have to shoot it

Old 10-19-2008, 01:17 AM   #14

I keep 2, both fully loaded, safety off.
First is behind the front door, who knows when you'll be sitting outside and get attacked, eh? ;p
The second is in my room, hanging on the wall(bad spot if it falls) fully loaded with safety on.

Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser. Americans despise cowards. Americans play to win all of the time. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost nor will ever lose a war; for the very idea of losing is hateful to an American.

~ George S. Patton (1944)

Old 10-19-2008, 01:37 AM   #15

870 Remington fully koaded,.....safety on.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:43 AM   #16

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

I agree with robocop10mm. "Cruiser ready" is the way to go.

If you're concerned that a full magazine tube will eventually wear out your mag spring, load the tube one shell short of full capacity.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:52 AM   #17

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by MichaelG View Post
I keep 2, both fully loaded, safety off.
First is behind the front door, who knows when you'll be sitting outside and get attacked, eh? The second is in my room, hanging on the wall(bad spot if it falls) fully loaded with safety on.
What if home invaders bust down your front door in the middle of the night, while you're in your bedroom sleeping? The shotgun behind the door won't do you any good when the invaders have it.

Some home invasions occur in broad daylight. If invaders bust in your front door while you're somewhere else in the house, they'll have your shotgun to use against you.

Old 10-19-2008, 12:32 PM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by shnorse View Post
so keeping the magazine full will not dammage the spring?

i know in riffle mags they say not to keep them loaded due to the spring..
If I could list all the "information" in the gun rags that is erroneous, the owner of this board would have to pay extra fees for the disk space it would take up.

The answer to your question is yes and no. If your gun came with cheap springs made is some third world sewer hole with inferior materials, keeping a magazine loaded all the time may cause the spring to take a "set" and you will see reduced performance and functionality - in about 5-10 years.

However, most firearms made to military specifications, and most reputable firearms manufacturers do not use the cheapest springs they can find, and in fact use quality springs which will outlast you and your children without any reduced performance and functionality. If you have any doubts about springs any any of your guns, spend a couple of bucks to replace them quality springs and don't lose any sleep at night. Wolff is a good supplier that most gun people use.

Old 10-19-2008, 09:48 PM   #19

I keep my Mossberg 500 Tactical next to my bed, full tube, one in an open chamber. All I have to do is pick it up by the fore end and the round automatically chambers. First three are #4 buckshot and the last two are K.O. slugs. It help not having kids. I'm pretty sure my dogs aren't gonna start playing with it

In God We Trust. (Everyone else, hands where I can see 'em)

If Obama is the answer, then the question must have been stupid.

Old 10-19-2008, 11:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Defender View Post
What if home invaders bust down your front door in the middle of the night, while you're in your bedroom sleeping? The shotgun behind the door won't do you any good when the invaders have it.

Some home invasions occur in broad daylight. If invaders bust in your front door while you're somewhere else in the house, they'll have your shotgun to use against you.

That is assuming they find the gun, the door opens all the way against the wall. If they were to kick the door open, it would hit the wall and they wouldn't notice the gun there.
Plus the shotgun isn't the only weapon in the house, the only rooms without a gun is the guest room and the restrooms.

Americans love a winner. Americans will not tolerate a loser. Americans despise cowards. Americans play to win all of the time. I wouldn't give a hoot in hell for a man who lost and laughed. That's why Americans have never lost nor will ever lose a war; for the very idea of losing is hateful to an American.

~ George S. Patton (1944)