Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   How do you leave your 'Defense' Shotgun? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/how-do-you-leave-your-defense-shotgun-6970/)

Scare_Rab 09-16-2008 12:48 PM

How do you leave your 'Defense' Shotgun?

I have a Remington 870.

I'm wondering what "state_of_readiness" do people leave their shotguns, generally?

With a shell in the chamber and more in the magazine? & safety on (does having the spring permanaently compressed damage it long-term?)

& if so...

At home, fearing grievous harm---pick weopon up...push safety off * acquire target * ; fire. (no need to rack the slide?)

Or...

With NO SHELL in the chamber rather ...shells in the magazine? [safety on ]

then : at home, fearing grievous harm---pick weopon up, rack the slide...push safety off * acquire target * fire.

I've noticed though that... before the action will rack
Either, ---the gun needs to be dry fired :(

or the slide needs to be 'started_a_touch' by pressing the release button near the trigger....

How do other people leave their home defense shotguns?

robocop10mm 09-16-2008 01:07 PM

Both require fine and complex motor skills that will be absent when the Adrenaline is coursing through the veins. The best way (IMHO) is to keep the pump gun "cruiser ready". Empty chamber, hammer down, full mag tube. With gun clear (empty), pull the trigger. Hold the forend forward (action completely closed, locked) and load the mag tube. When you need to use the gun simply rack the action. DO NOT USE THE SAFETY.
We have shotguns that sit in racks with fully loaded mag tubes for many years and they do not seem to have any issues with mag springs failing.

Jables 09-16-2008 02:37 PM

Depends, when I lived out in the country I always had a loaded 12 guage or 410 behind the door heading out into the backyard. It was mostly for coons and opossums. The reality of this is, I live in town and have guns all over the house unloaded and I don't worry about intruders, I could hold my own if one did break in but I'm not worried about it. If I lived somewhere I had to worry about intruders, I would move. I know I'm a good shot and I know I wouldn't think twice, but I really don't want to find out. When we move back into the country I will keep a load gun for varmints and nothing more.

mpoirier22114 09-16-2008 08:07 PM

what robocop said

glockfire 09-16-2008 09:02 PM

Full tube, empy but cocked chamber.

dragunovsks 09-16-2008 11:29 PM

I also keep mine with cleared chamber, loaded mag tube. I told the wife if she ever needed it to slide forward the pump, point at punk, and squeeze trigger. Baby Go Boom!!

:cool:

DuckA 09-17-2008 12:10 AM

One in the chamber, more in the mag, with the safety on.

janikphoto 09-18-2008 06:59 AM

I have a remington 1100 tac-II with the mag loaded. I hope I will have time to pull the charging handle and start pulling the trigger if I ever need to.

shnorse 09-20-2008 12:41 AM

so keeping the magazine full will not dammage the spring?

i know in riffle mags they say not to keep them loaded due to the spring..

gregs887 09-20-2008 01:10 AM

Full mag, empty chamber, safety off, within reach of my bed.