Home Protection Shotgun - Page 5
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Home Protection Shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-09-2008, 08:20 PM   #41
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by RL357Mag View Post
\

lol - I think the only thing that matters in a home defense shotgun is the sound the slide makes when it's being racked - I don't think the BG gives a damn how "cool" it looks...mine never see's the light of day cause other than turkey season, I'm not into shotguns...and unlike handguns I don't think practice matters much...as far as the fancy shell holders go, if you need more shells than your guns tube can hold, you better have a friend that's good at sheetrocking and taping!
Ditto. if you wanna go all out and build the ultimate scattergun, there's nothing wrong with that. all the bells and whistles however aren't all that necessary. i do believe that whatever you have for home defense, you should have a light mounted or handheld light next to it.
when it comes to shotgun most after market "CQB" stocks are cheap pieces of crap. you're better off sticking with a factory solid stock, or bantam stock if you want to reduce LOP. Mesa tactical makes a quality collapsible stock adapter. but again, it's not a must have item for home defense.

Old 06-10-2008, 01:05 AM   #42

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltm4 View Post
Ditto. if you wanna go all out and build the ultimate scattergun, there's nothing wrong with that. all the bells and whistles however aren't all that necessary. i do believe that whatever you have for home defense, you should have a light mounted or handheld light next to it.
when it comes to shotgun most after market "CQB" stocks are cheap pieces of crap. you're better off sticking with a factory solid stock, or bantam stock if you want to reduce LOP. Mesa tactical makes a quality collapsible stock adapter. but again, it's not a must have item for home defense.
Luckily I've never had the opportunity to test this concern, but is it possible that a weapon mounted light would provide a BG with an instant target? I've noticed that cops sometimes hold a light with their off hand across their wrist and to the outside of their body. Is this to draw fire away from center of mass?
Pain is Weakness Leaving the Body - USMC
"Qui desiderat pacem, praeparet bellum"

Old 06-10-2008, 05:05 PM   #43

holding the light away from the body is an older practice. this was called the FBI Method and it was intended to draw fire away from the body. the problem is that it causes you to shoot wildly because your brain is trying to focus on to coordinated tasks. At distances past CQB range using your weapon mounted light is a very bad idea because it will attract fire. at close quarters a tactical light not only helps ID your target but it also causes a condition called Involuntary Response. a light shining at a brightness of more than 60 lumens causes the pupils to constrict and forces the brain to readjust. it basically overloads the brain. it sounds crazy but it buys you an extra split second over your opponent. flash bang grenades used by swat teams work on the same principle.
simply said, the light is a tool just like anything else. if used wrong you can get hurt or killed. if used properly it gives you an advantage. training is paramount.

Last edited by coltm4; 06-10-2008 at 05:09 PM.

Old 06-10-2008, 05:16 PM   #44

oh yea, when using your light it should never be activated for a prolonged period of time. it should be turned on for a second or two then off again, then on again while moving. this principle is called Light and Move.

Old 06-11-2008, 09:03 PM   #45

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thanks for the info. Now for the big question - which tactical light do you recommend? There are several out there and some are very expensive, like the Sure-fire 6P LED. There is a newer one out that has 4 modes of operation, constant, momentary, strobe, and dimming. It puts out 120 lumens and is made by Insight Technology.

Old 06-11-2008, 10:01 PM   #46

personally i think lights with a strobe setting are trying to fix something that's not broken. strobing can be done manually (Light and Move). When a strobe feature is added to a light it adds complicated electronics to the equation which increases the chances of failure. i can't definitivly say what's best, i'm not an industry expert. with that said, i am partial to surefire products. they issued them to us in iraq and i had no problems. the LED models that are coming out now are even better because there is no bulb to shatter. cheap lights will shatter with weapon recoil. i've seen that happen so stick with the reputable brands. Currently i have a streamlight TLR-1 mounted on my duty Glock 19. i havn't had problems with it yet, but i havn't shot as many rounds with it as i did with a surefire light (on an m-4) in iraq.
as for brightness, 60 lumens to 100 lumens should do the job. when you start using lights that burn brighter than that they tend to burn through batteries and they may cause an effect called splash. splash is when a light is so bright it reflects light back at you at close quarters. the tool is now working against you. bright lights like that are often used by designated marksmen and snipers at checkpoints for a visible presence while overwatching the soldiers/marines that are searching vehicles/personel.

Old 06-12-2008, 02:10 AM   #47

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Thank you for the info. I have seen Surefire products advertised for years now so as you say they must be good! The newer, brighter products are impressive with 2 hrs runtime on high and 300 hrs. on low ( InsightTech Gear) it even comes with a charger for the LI-Ion battery. But as you stated a brightness of 120 lumens, and 4 modes are probably overkill for an item intended to be nothing more than a flashlight. I like the idea of a pyrex lens on the Surefire also. I'd bet your Glock will punish a light more than the M-4 did. I'm just looking for one to mount on my Beretta .40 and possibly a .40 carbine, which actually has more felt recoil than my AR.

Last edited by RL357Mag; 06-12-2008 at 02:17 AM.

Old 06-12-2008, 04:49 PM   #48

i could definitly see the glock putting more of beating on the light than an AR. i've never used insight technology's products before but i think the british use them on their SA-80A2s. i doubt they're bad. i'm just not a fan of all the settings and options. surefire also makes lights with variable output. i might just be simple minded. just like i use my cell phone to make phone calls, not recieve text messages, surf the internet and listen to music.

Old 06-12-2008, 08:41 PM   #49

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 5

Nice.. a lot of Mossberg owners. I have their Maverick 88 model and it's really nice. Right now I have that as my HD gun. It came with the standard stock but the sling stud had been broken off when I got it from the store so I got a pistol grip. Sucker has ALOT of kick if you don't acquire the arm strength. I was strongly considering of getting either a Knoxx stock with ATI ghost ring heatshield for better aim and handling especially when I take out to the range and put slugs into it. What are your guy's opinions on those two additions?

Old 06-12-2008, 10:08 PM   #50

Liked 5 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by coltm4 View Post
i could definitly see the glock putting more of beating on the light than an AR. i've never used insight technology's products before but i think the british use them on their SA-80A2s. i doubt they're bad. i'm just not a fan of all the settings and options. surefire also makes lights with variable output. i might just be simple minded. just like i use my cell phone to make phone calls, not recieve text messages, surf the internet and listen to music.

YOU CAN DO THAT ON A CELL PHONE??????? lol