Home Protection Shotgun - Page 16
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Home Protection Shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-29-2009, 04:46 AM   #151
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

looked at my load data when i got home, i stand corrected they are dimes and not nickels, $2.80 worth in the 2 3/4" $3.30 in 3". haven't loaded a few in years, forgot the data in my head.

wasn't posting advice, just what i use for home protection, and yes i have paid my dues to the correct federal agencies for various things.

and true the energy is not that of lead, but more concerned of the spinning and slicing characteristics of the projectiles. and yes they scatter uncontrollably as they leave which is also the idea, and shreads wood / light steel doors, sheet rock, and tissue.

i'm not a phycho, just that if i play, i make sure i play to win.

you'll love the keystone state if you visit i'll offer you a glass of water, just don't visit unanounced, at night, in my hallway.

Old 09-29-2009, 05:04 AM   #152

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOP PREDATOR View Post
If I play, I make sure I'm gonna win, too... by going to the range, spending money on REAL ammo, and practicing enough so that LEAD goes where I WANT it to...

Quote:
you'll love the keystone state if you visit i'll offer you a glass of water, just don't visit unanounced, at night, in my hallway.
I'm beginning to wonder what's IN the water in the Keystone State...

I hope you don't get a visit from various federal agencies...

...Ruby Ridge Style.

-=Jerry A. Goodson=-

Tri-State Tactical
1010 N. Louise St.
Atlanta, Texas 75551
430-342-3376

http://www.3tactical.com

Old 09-29-2009, 11:05 AM   #153

Liked 34 Times on 29 Posts

Would not loading dimes or any money and shooting it be against federal law? It is not an offence to deface money. I think TRYING to shoot a badguy is defacing money.

SOME PEOPLE should just keep their MOUTH SHUT before it OVERLOADS their BRAIN.

Old 09-29-2009, 12:45 PM   #154

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by TOP PREDATOR
In other words, you'll get free change....

What is the shot pattern and penetration when using dimes at 10 yards? Probably pretty dismal, and therefore useless I imagine.

2.80 dollars per shell x 7 shells = 19.60 dollars

You would be better off using the money to buy actual 12 gauge defensive loads that will get you much better performance, and will not tear up your shotgun in the process.

SAFETY TIP FOR THE MASSES: Use ONLY the ammunition designed for your firearm, and nothing else. To use improvised ammunition WILL void all warranties, and could void your life in the process. Stay safe and smart!!!

Old 09-29-2009, 01:16 PM   #155

looking at my data @ 12 feet, depends on how they hit, the on edge ones go through butterball turkeys and around 7" in a hatfield ham, splintering the bone. the ones that i can only assume hit flat about don't pass through either one, but cause considerable damage as they keyhole. every thing else is somewhere in between. leaves it pretty chewed up. at 30 feet, substantially less penetration, the on edge ones are about 1/2 as deep, but still cause enough effect.

the pattern is obviously different with every round, however at room distance (12 foot and under) in the 28" to 36" range.

at 12' and under, less penetration than 9 pellet 00 buck, but much more dense.

i can only image that the pattern resembles dropping a handfull of change into water and viewing it from underneath.

this isn't a weekend shooter for claybirds, nor a collectors piece. it is what it is. i may have only fired 20 at the most of these things through it with no adverse effects on the receiver, carrier, or bolt, just dings on the interior of the barrel.

results may vary, i don't suggest anyone do it, especially without years of quality reloading experience. and i'm not givin up the recipe as i don't need the guilt on my shoulders if somebody tries it and gets hurt.

and yes, just like using reloads in a pistol for defense, if you actually do use 'em to neutralize a threat, you can be in a pickle. alive, but in a pickle.

well this went way off topic, sooo.....

Last edited by TOP PREDATOR; 09-29-2009 at 01:27 PM.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:24 PM   #156

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by chorst294 View Post
Benelli Nova, 18' barrel, ext. tube, side saddle shell holder, tactical sling, ghost ring night sights, loaded with 00 buck.
Night sights....on a shotgun?

Old 09-29-2009, 01:27 PM   #157

Liked 58 Times on 35 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
looked at my load data when i got home, i stand corrected they are dimes and not nickels, $2.80 worth in the 2 3/4" $3.30 in 3". haven't loaded a few in years, forgot the data in my head.

wasn't posting advice, just what i use for home protection, and yes i have paid my dues to the correct federal agencies for various things.

and true the energy is not that of lead, but more concerned of the spinning and slicing characteristics of the projectiles. and yes they scatter uncontrollably as they leave which is also the idea, and shreads wood / light steel doors, sheet rock, and tissue.

I may be wrong, but I think "Pennsylvania" has two "n"s in the spelling. Not sure tho.

Old 09-29-2009, 01:36 PM   #158

Liked 1109 Times on 657 Posts
Likes Given: 348

If dimes or other coins were good reliable safe ammo some manufacturer would be producing shells using washers or coin shaped slugs that are cheaper than loading dimes.

"Good people drink good beer."
Hunter S. Thompson

Old 09-29-2009, 03:18 PM   #159

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yunus View Post
If dimes or other coins were good reliable safe ammo some manufacturer would be producing shells using washers or coin shaped slugs that are cheaper than loading dimes.
Good point, Yunus.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 09-29-2009, 04:44 PM   #160
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5733 Times on 3359 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Firequest has some odd ammo, but no change makers. It was very cool in that movie, though.