Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Home Protection Shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 08-18-2009, 05:44 PM   #111
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by blacktactical67 View Post
why do people always say its easy to move around corners when the smart thing to do during a burglery is stay in one room with your weapon and close the door then make alot of noise ND IF THAT doesnt scare the criminal off than most likely he will go to your bedroom and when he opens the door you unload on him

Old 08-18-2009, 06:32 PM   #112

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
why do people always say its easy to move around corners when the smart thing to do during a burglery is stay in one room with your weapon and close the door then make alot of noise ND IF THAT doesnt scare the criminal off than most likely he will go to your bedroom and when he opens the door you unload on him
I prefer to take a more proactive approach. Family in the house. Anyone who breaks into your home you have to assume is willing to do harm to you and your family. If the burglar hears you and still comes to your door, what is to stop him from just blasting thru the door and the walls, possibly hitting you or your family. Also, hiding and waiting for the door to open without identifying the person opening the door could be a bad mistake, imo. Could be a friendly.

To each their own, and that is great. The discussion is about shot guns for home protection. Without actually taking the gun or a stick of the same length and moving about your house tactically, one will never know if moving thru the house with a long weapon is even easy or possible.

I'm not sold that your approach is really "the smart thing to do" as you worded it. I suppose anything else is the "dumb thing to do?"

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 08-18-2009, 06:48 PM   #113

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

Maverick 88 shotgun. Keep it simple. I would also recommend keeping the regular stock on the weapon. People forget how easy it is to actually miss a close-in target when using a shotgun with just a pistol-style grip. At close home defense ranges, even buckshot sometimes does not have the chance to pattern-out.

With a little practice, you can negotiate the hallways/rooms with a shoulder-fired weapon with ease, and quickness.

I have the mindset that if I'm going to hold something with a pistol grip, it's going to be a pistol (1911 preferably). I'll be more accurate, tons quicker, and will put more rounds on target, then with a pistol grip shotgun.

Always fire a shoulder-fired weapon as it is designed to fire, which is from the shoulder.

Old 08-18-2009, 06:51 PM   #114

SGT, thats how my shotgun currently looks.
I bought the security barrel seperately, but it was worth the money.
My Maverick 88 is a little trooper and would buy another one [except in 8 shot] if I could find one.

S.S.

Old 08-18-2009, 08:20 PM   #115

Liked 10 Times on 9 Posts
Likes Given: 3

The way I look at it is this: If somebody breaks into our home while we're at home, they're fully prepared to do us harm. My kids have rooms upstairs & I'll be damned if I'm going to cower in my bedroom while the bad guys have the rest of the house (and our kids) to themselves! Considering that we live out in the country, it'll be quite a while before the police respond. Another thing-have you thought about the possibility that they MAY try to burn your house down with you & your family inside? Why make conditions in favor of the bad guys by allowing them to be in control of where & when they want to confront you? I don't know about you but in that situation I want everything I possibly can to be in MY favor, with ME controlling where/when/how the confrontation takes place. No, I'm NOT going to hide & hope they'll be satisfied with just looting. Neil

Quote:

Sometimes you earthlings REALLY amaze me!

Old 08-18-2009, 08:52 PM   #116

I wouldnt cower in my room. Thats not protecting your family and home. Go full force or find a place to live in that has security.

S.S.

Old 08-18-2009, 10:25 PM   #117

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

As far as the whole "stay in room vs charge forward" issue. I come from the military thinking that the best way to gain advantage is to also gain fire superiority and the initiative.

Adapting this to a home defense situation would be immediately taking the fight (tactically) to them as soon as you know they are in the house. Keep them surprised and "off balance" so to speak. That doesn't mean to blindly charge into a situation. It means practicing, studying, and knowing what to do when you get the "OH SH*T!!!!" wake up that only a BG can give.

Old 08-19-2009, 12:06 AM   #118

Mossy 500........

"In God We Trust"

Old 08-19-2009, 01:31 AM   #119

Liked 10 Times on 7 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Mossy 590 for me. Perfect HD weapon...

"When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace."
Jimi Hendrix

Old 08-19-2009, 02:12 AM   #120

Liked 6 Times on 5 Posts

The 590 is a nice shotgun. That is true.