Home defense weapons - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Home defense weapons

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2009, 06:25 PM   #21
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

My suggestion is to go with a Mossberg 500. You can buy one at Big 5 or similar stores for around $250. It comes with two barrels, a 28" and an 18.5" barrel. It has a black synthetic stock & foregrip and it's all you need. It doesn't have a pistol grip, but they really aren't necessary.

I use mine strictly for home/self defense. It wears the 18.5" barrel and in fact, I sold the 28" since I didn't need it. (I have another shotgun for hunting and trap) The only modifications I made were to install Mossberg factory Ghostring sights and an elastic shell holder butt cuff. In reality, at SD/HD distances, the Ghostrings aren't necessary, it's just point and click.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 12-22-2009, 11:48 PM   #22

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts
Likes Given: 3

Benelli SuperNova will fill the bill. Stock with pistol grip, ghost ring sights, magazine extension, polystinger light, saddle shell holder.
[IMG]Home defense weapons - General Shotgun Discussion[/IMG]

Old 12-23-2009, 04:22 AM   #23

That Benelli's got a good look to it, but the Mossberg fits the wallet better. Or at least I thought. I glanced quickly at Gunbroker.com and found Mossberg 500's everywhere from $300 to $700. I realize that there are lots of different types of 500's, but I wouldn't expect such a price difference. A couple were less than $300 but not by much. I thought a Mossberg 500 was running about $350 brand new??

Well, I'm just waiting on the next decent gun show to come to the Montgomery, AL area, and will probably pick one up then as long as the prices are right.

Old 12-23-2009, 06:54 PM   #24
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5738 Times on 3362 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Gunbroker is a great place to see a variety of weapons, but the prices always seem a bit high to me. There also seem to be a number of jerks selling stuff for 20% more than it costs at popular online retail places (pendersoli black powder pistol kits for example). There was this one spectacular arsehole selling a police turn in .38 special that he probably got from J&G Sales for double the J&G price. I use GB for window shopping, not buying, because i don't know how much EVERYTHING should sell for.

Does Walmart have a mossy for you? They sold them at one time, but you might have to order the 18.5" barrel online.

Gander Mountain isn't my favorite place, but they have them, if you have one nearby. http://search.gandermountain.com/?Ne=1000002&N=1777+4294965959&cname=Shotguns

Last edited by orangello; 12-23-2009 at 06:58 PM.

Old 12-23-2009, 08:58 PM   #25

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

If money is tight, you might want to consider a Maverick as a cheaper alternative to the Mossberg 500, or an 870 Express instead of a Remington 870.

I've been using an 870 Express for the past couple of months and it runs like a dream, the finish is nowhere near as nice as the blueing on an 870 Wingmaster, but it works. I got my shotgun new with two barrels for a pretty decent price. The only thing I added was a shell holder.
(canto XII, st. 6)

Old 12-23-2009, 11:32 PM   #26

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by skullcrusher View Post

Buck shot is preferable for most people for defense. Still, there are shot shells out there that will do the job without overpenetration into other rooms, etc. I know some people prefer to use #4 shot. Myself, a 3" turkey load is good even out to 30+ yards.
+ 1 Skull

That is something too many folks do not take the time to consider. Buckshot, even #4 buck has been shown to penetrate THROUGH typical home construction walls (aka - sheetrock, insulation, and even with outdoor siding). Worst case scenario, your family is only a wall or two away, so are your neighbors, or any innocents on the outside of your walls.

If you fire away with your slugs, #00 & #000 buck, or any of those Mall Ninja rounds that were posted, even bird shot, you are liable and responsible for every one of those pellets. Sure, you fired in self defense and in defense of your loved ones - but you are still accountable for every pellet/round that misses and where it ends up.

You can load up with skeet/game/turkey loads and still be able to protect you and yours in house, and not have to worry about over penetrating into a room of your own family.

And another vote for the Mossberg 500/Remington 870/ and the Benelli Nova.

Old 12-24-2009, 03:58 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by slowryde45 View Post
If you fire away with your slugs, #00 & #000 buck, or any of those Mall Ninja rounds that were posted, even bird shot, you are liable and responsible for every one of those pellets. Sure, you fired in self defense and in defense of your loved ones - but you are still accountable for every pellet/round that misses and where it ends up.
So what are you saying....
If you load your HD shotgun with slugs, 00Buck or 000Buck you have "Mall Ninja" aptitude? How about the LEO's & Military that load their shotguns with 00Buck? Most if not all HD scenarios will be up-close and personal. The shot will not have room to spread. Most likely the wading will have to be pulled out of the BG.

Old 12-24-2009, 05:00 AM   #28

Liked 781 Times on 452 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by possumbarnes View Post
That Benelli's got a good look to it, but the Mossberg fits the wallet better. Or at least I thought. I glanced quickly at Gunbroker.com and found Mossberg 500's everywhere from $300 to $700. I realize that there are lots of different types of 500's, but I wouldn't expect such a price difference. A couple were less than $300 but not by much. I thought a Mossberg 500 was running about $350 brand new??

Well, I'm just waiting on the next decent gun show to come to the Montgomery, AL area, and will probably pick one up then as long as the prices are right.
Check out Buds. They currently have a Remmy 870 for $328. I got my Mossy 500 there for $280, came with a heat shield, full synthetic stock and pistol grip kit.

Guns for Sale
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 12-24-2009, 07:13 PM   #29

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
So what are you saying....
If you load your HD shotgun with slugs, 00Buck or 000Buck you have "Mall Ninja" aptitude? How about the LEO's & Military that load their shotguns with 00Buck? Most if not all HD scenarios will be up-close and personal. The shot will not have room to spread. Most likely the wading will have to be pulled out of the BG.
That's not what I was saying at all. As for the Mall Ninja, see the previous post on Deltaforce.com.

And yes, I know what the LEO's and MIL folks load their guns with. I used to load mine with the very same ammo, while in the line of duty. And you could probably use that defense in court, too, that your gun was loaded with the same ammo that the LEO's carry. That wasn't the point I was trying to make. Even they are liable for stray rounds, and the heavier loads like slugs, #00, #000, even #4 buck are more likely to over penetrate in an average home.

As for HD scenarios, what would you say is the typical distance then? I think you'll find that more scenarios will happen inside 7-10yards. Unless you are Bill Gates and have rolling plains inside your home. Lighter loads at that distance would be more than adequate to stop the threat. And would be less likely to paint the picture of a 'Mall Ninja' home owner going RAMBO on a BG - or worse, taking out a member of his own family or neighbor, when it comes down to going to court.

Personally, I could care less what folks decide to use. Folks should have some kind of a plan for HD (alarm, dog, etc), know where your loved ones are, gather them into a safe area, someone calling 911, and protect you and yours while waiting for the law. You decide whether you will sit and wait, or go out and about to clear your castle. That decision could play itself out again in court. What you use, the loads in it, and any attachments (lasers, lights, bayos, etc) will also come up in court.

So think about your choice of home defense options, and the ramifications that come along with those choices. Protecting your family and yourself should be #1 on the list. But how you do it comes in a very close #2.

Old 12-24-2009, 07:35 PM   #30

slowryde45,

1st: I apologize for the misunderstanding. My bad
2nd: I'm not debating the facts that lighter loads are sufficient ammo for HD scenarios. I agree with you about the facts you state that can cause harm because of the liability they represent.
3rd:Now that you have clarified your point, I fully understand you.

again I apologize bro