Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > home defense shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-19-2012, 01:20 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Default home defense shotgun

I can't believe I'm actually starting a thread about home defense guns because I get so tired of seeing threads about them. But I'm going to break down and buy me a cheap one I really like the winchester 1300s so I was thinking about trying to find me a used defender. Also looking at the 8 shot maverick 88 I don't see where a man could go wrong with one because they are priced so cheap msrp is $223. I was also looking at the Stoeger p350 and the benelli nova tactical. Im not an 870 fan so please don't start recommending those. I would just like your guys input.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-19-2012, 01:32 PM   #2

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Quote:
Originally Posted by akers06 View Post
I can't believe I'm actually starting a thread about home defense guns because I get so tired of seeing threads about them. But I'm going to break down and buy me a cheap one I really like the winchester 1300s so I was thinking about trying to find me a used defender. Also looking at the 8 shot maverick 88 I don't see where a man could go wrong with one because they are priced so cheap msrp is $223. I was also looking at the Stoeger p350 and the benelli nova tactical. Im not an 870 fan so please don't start recommending those. I would just like your guys input.
In own a Maverick 88 eight shot shotgun. It has served me well, shoots well for an 18" barrel. I shot skeet twice with mine and did well. Once to break the gun in and see if it was worth betting my life on. The second time was to position a light on it.

If you want a more versatile gun you will have to settle for the six shot model. The Mossberg field barrels do not fit the eight shot maverick. A dedicated self defense shotgun is not an issue for me. I have several shotguns.

You will have a hard time finding an 8 shot at retail or below. Almost everyone tries to sell the eight shots well above retail. I paid a bit too much for my maverick 88. After trying to negotiate several times I just got frustrated and bought one.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-19-2012, 02:46 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Old_Crow

In own a Maverick 88 eight shot shotgun. It has served me well, shoots well for an 18" barrel. I shot skeet twice with mine and did well. Once to break the gun in and see if it was worth betting my life on. The second time was to position a light on it.

If you want a more versatile gun you will have to settle for the six shot model. The Mossberg field barrels do not fit the eight shot maverick. A dedicated self defense shotgun is not an issue for me. I have several shotguns.

You will have a hard time finding an 8 shot at retail or below. Almost everyone tries to sell the eight shots well above retail. I paid a bit too much for my maverick 88. After trying to negotiate several times I just got frustrated and bought one.
Yea I have other shotguns for all other uses I just want one for self defense and I would like to have an 8 shot

Old 10-19-2012, 02:50 PM   #4

Quote:

How much did u give for yours

Old 10-19-2012, 02:55 PM   #5

Quote:
Yea I have other shotguns for all other uses I just want one for self defense and I would like to have an 8 shot
I mix 2 3/4" slugs and 3" buckshot in my Maverick 88. Mixing the shell lengths will allow you to get 9 shots in the 88. I have emptied it out several times on deer drives. Mixing the shell lengths does not cause any problems with the function of the shotgun.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Old 10-19-2012, 04:19 PM   #6

Liked 1056 Times on 727 Posts
Likes Given: 1071

I just use my model 12 riot I have had for years loaded with 7, 2&3/4in. maximum load BB`s................

When all else fails.

Old 10-19-2012, 07:09 PM   #7

Quote:
How much did u give for yours
Around $260 out the door. I might have saved $30 or $40 by waiting. I really wanted the gun. I might still be waiting trying to save a little money. I sleep a lot better with it beside my bed. All my 12 ga shotguns beside the maverick have a 28" or a rifled slug barrel. They are either hard to handle indoors or hard to shoot at very close range. Plus the Maverick 88 is very easy to get in and out of my tool box.

Last edited by Old_Crow; 10-19-2012 at 07:20 PM.
orangello Likes This 
Old 10-19-2012, 10:54 PM   #8

Quote:

Around $260 out the door. I might have saved $30 or $40 by waiting. I really wanted the gun. I might still be waiting trying to save a little money. I sleep a lot better with it beside my bed. All my 12 ga shotguns beside the maverick have a 28" or a rifled slug barrel. They are either hard to handle indoors or hard to shoot at very close range. Plus the Maverick 88 is very easy to get in and out of my tool box.
That's the problem I have and the reason I want a gun devoted to home defense

Old 10-20-2012, 12:43 AM   #9

Liked 101 Times on 84 Posts
Likes Given: 219

Stevens has a $200 pump, never handled one though.

Old 10-20-2012, 12:48 AM   #10

Liked 9193 Times on 5052 Posts
Likes Given: 74

Quote:
Originally Posted by phildenton
Stevens has a $200 pump, never handled one though.
Your talking about the basic bottom eject pump, right? I heard from non owners that one is a piece of crap. I'd like to hear from actual owners, because I'm kind of interested in that one.