Home Defense With a Shotgun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Home Defense With a Shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-20-2010, 12:30 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Quote:
Originally Posted by JonM View Post

personally im not a fan of illumintion on a firearm. im of the school that believes it gives your defensive position away more than helps. if your looking or see in the dark get some nvds.

night vision? Are you f^^^^^^ serious? While I am fully aware that good shooting can be done in very very low light conditions, but when I am responsible for target identification, I at least want to have the option to do so. If you use light CORRECTLY, it should not be a hindrance.

And while holding a defensive position is ideal. Say I have a toddler asleep down the hall. I sure as hell am not going to leave him down there and hope he goes undiscovered.

Again, it all depends on YOUR situation. Think this stuff through and decide what will work best for you.

While it is better to be judged by 12 than carried by 6 and all that macho junk, no one wants to have to tell a jury:

"Well, I used my (insert gun) cause a member, SuperNinjaZombieKiller69, told me to."

Old 12-20-2010, 01:10 AM   #12
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 5797 Times on 3027 Posts
Likes Given: 397

Quote:
night vision? Are you f^^^^^^ serious? While I am fully aware that good shooting can be done in very very low light conditions, but when I am responsible for target identification, I at least want to have the option to do so. If you use light CORRECTLY, it should not be a hindrance.
turn on the lights then.

Quote:
And while holding a defensive position is ideal. Say I have a toddler asleep down the hall. I sure as hell am not going to leave him down there and hope he goes undiscovered.
then take up a defensive position fter securing the family in one location. unneccesary home clearing should be left to the police.

Quote:
"Well, I used my (insert gun) cause a member, SuperNinjaZombieKiller69, told me to."
no one saying you HAVE to use a shotgun. use a paintball gun or 50bmg if you want. its just that the shotgun is the best all round close quarters defensive gun there is for noobs and experienced people alike. thats why there is one in just about every police car in the country. i would wager you ask any defense firearm instructor what to pick for home defensive most will say consider the 12ga shotgun first.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 12-20-2010, 02:19 AM   #13

Liked 177 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I read up on different shotgun loads when I first got my Rem 870 18",and my first pick was the #1 buck,I read that it's about the diameter yet half the weight of a .22LR round at around the same velocity,my uneducated mind thought,hmm,each pellet would have to penetrate walls about as much as a .22 short,yet with 41 pellets,most of them hitting my target,I would stop a threat and protect innoccents in other rooms-then I went to Walmart and the lady throws some 00 buck on the counter-"that's all we have"pretty much so I got that,I just been too lazy to go to our specialty sporting goods store 20 miles away to pick up some #1.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 12-20-2010, 01:10 PM   #14

I have one loaded up with reduced recoil buckshot .

Old 12-20-2010, 01:56 PM   #15

Liked 8 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I don't have to worry about over penetration being that big of an issue at my place, it's just me my wife and our dog. My shotgun is in the bedroom so if I do have to use it the odds are that my wife will be close by so I won't have to worry about hitting her in the next room. No close neighbors either, and the dog...well I love my dog but if he gets caught in the crossfire I guess I'll have to live with that. That's why my shotugn is loaded with 00 buck...in an apartment or duplex situation I'd probably use a little bit lighter load.

"They're on our right, they're on our left, they're in front of us, they're behind us; they can't get away from us this time."
Chesty Puller, USMC, Chosin Reservoir, Korean War

"You cannot exaggerate about the Marines. They are convinced to the point of arrogance, that they are the most ferocious fighters on earth - and the amusing thing about it is that they are."
- Father Kevin Keaney, 1st MarDiv Chaplain, Korean War

Old 12-21-2010, 02:34 AM   #16

Liked 177 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 44

Disreguard some of what I just said,I was thinking of #4 buck is what I wanted,not the #1,not that I wouldn't use #1,I think with a 12 gauge ammo is much less sensitive than handgun ammuntion for defense,I surely would rather take a .45 to the chest from 2 feet than a 12 ga with just birdshot!

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves