Home Defense shotgun - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Home Defense shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-25-2010, 12:40 AM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

I don't advise cutting of barrels just because of an over zealous prosecuting attorney.

This is what I did...
The easiest project I've ever done.
This is from a topic I posted in August of 2009.
http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f35/remington-870-standard-going-870-police-17256/

Old 07-25-2010, 02:20 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDVague View Post
Actually, those shotguns (28"+barrels) were never meant for home defense. Shorter barrels (18.5"-20) have been around for quite a while and marketed for home defense.
what? ok then what is the requirment for it to be a home defence weapon? that is about the dumbest comment i have heard on here. i guess i better buy something that saye home home defence on it or it won't work.lol.the only difference in the mossberg that i buy and the one that the military uses is a metal trigger guard, where mine is polymer.oh it came with a 28" barrel so i guess it is designated for hunting only. ok well i use it for both. as long as the mag tube isn't 28" long then you can go the route ron l went and take a saw to it. people have been defending their homes with shot guns before the maker of glocks was even a sperm. don't be a fool, just because someone chooses to spen a lot of $$ on something because it says "home defence" or "security" on it doesn't mean it is ant better for killing invaders then a 500 or 870. i don't think we are fighting in the mud here. a double barreled coach gun will do the trick, and that is nothing but a shortened version of the same gun. there is a sucker born every minute though and i know enough about shotguns and home defence to know better. the pawn shop guns will be just as good, just cheaper. they might not have all the sexy gadgets and words on them, but can easily be coverted to a great riot gun.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:25 AM   #33

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugermatt View Post
what? ok then what is the requirment for it to be a home defence weapon? that is about the dumbest comment i have heard on here. i guess i better buy something that saye home home defence on it or it won't work.lol.the only difference in the mossberg that i buy and the one that the military uses is a metal trigger guard, where mine is polymer.oh it came with a 28" barrel so i guess it is designated for hunting only. ok well i use it for both. as long as the mag tube isn't 28" long then you can go the route ron l went and take a saw to it. people have been defending their homes with shot guns before the maker of glocks was even a sperm. don't be a fool, just because someone chooses to spen a lot of $$ on something because it says "home defence" or "security" on it doesn't mean it is ant better for killing invaders then a 500 or 870. i don't think we are fighting in the mud here. a double barreled coach gun will do the trick, and that is nothing but a shortened version of the same gun. there is a sucker born every minute though and i know enough about shotguns and home defence to know better. the pawn shop guns will be just as good, just cheaper. they might not have all the sexy gadgets and words on them, but can easily be coverted to a great riot gun.
easy pal...
why so hostile?
I believe what IDVague is getting at is that a shotgun with a 28" barrel is used/marketed towards hunting & sport. Sure you can use a 28" barrel shotgun for home defense, but you're not going to be as effective or as mobile then if you used a 20"/18.5" barrel. Just like you can use your short barrel HD shotgun for hunting or sport clay shooting, but you're not going to be as effective with it unless you hit the clay as soon as it leaves the machine, or unless the turkey or duck lands very close to you. I've been hunting turkey for many years and have never called one in within 10 yrds. Now on the other hand I've had ducks just about land on me.

Old 07-25-2010, 03:35 AM   #34

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Nothong wrong or not Legal about cutting a shotgun barrel!

Hello all, RON L here, Nothng wrong with cutting a shotgun barrel down, as long as it's not cut poast the legal length, I cut mine to 20" so thier would be no question, as long as you go over 18 1/4 your legal and any Cop or district attourny that has issues wit that doesn't know the law! Cutting a barrel removes the choke and so if you want to skeet or trap it will not perform, but thats not what we are talking here?

RON

Old 07-25-2010, 03:36 AM   #35

basically what i a saying is that a shotgun with a 28" barrel can be easily changed to a 18 or 20" barrel and just as effective as the one that was purchased with the short barrel. they are really all about the same other than the barrel, and maybe different furniture.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:23 PM   #36

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONSERESURPLUS View Post
Hello all, RON L here, Nothng wrong with cutting a shotgun barrel down, as long as it's not cut poast the legal length, I cut mine to 20" so thier would be no question, as long as you go over 18 1/4 your legal and any Cop or district attourny that has issues wit that doesn't know the law! Cutting a barrel removes the choke and so if you want to skeet or trap it will not perform, but thats not what we are talking here?

RON
Ron,
I understand what you're saying and agree with you.
BUT nowadays in a court of law, it's not a matter of what is right or wrong than it is of what can be proven. I will not give the opposing side any ammo against me, that can cause the judge/jury to raise an eyebrow at my actions or intent.

Our judicial courts of law are intended to protect the innocent and proescute the guilty. Unfortunately, there are any number of ways an innocent person can look like a guilty one, convincing everyone from the investigator to the prosecutor and ultimately the jury that they are guilty indeed. Also may I add that if justifiability is not perfectly clear to responding officers, expect to be arrested at any scene of a self defense shooting.

Old 07-25-2010, 04:26 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugermatt View Post
basically what i a saying is that a shotgun with a 28" barrel can be easily changed to a 18 or 20" barrel and just as effective as the one that was purchased with the short barrel. they are really all about the same other than the barrel, and maybe different furniture.
rugermatt,
OK, I believe all three of us (IDVague, you & I) are saying the same thing, just in other words.

Old 07-26-2010, 07:29 AM   #38

Hi all, I'd like to point out that people living in smaller houses can be protected as well with Birdshot as well as 00 Buck. the reason for this, is that the shot isn't going to have a chance to leave the shot cup Making them both lethal, if they are the same weight.

I don't make jokes. I just watch the government and report the facts.
Will Rogers

BTW, I'm front left in my avatar pic.

Old 07-26-2010, 04:32 PM   #39

sure, any load will work. a .22 rifle will protect for that matter, but i want to knock him on his a*s. i'm sure with in 5' to 10' it wouldnt have much spread. coming out of a short cylinder boer barell though it's not going to hold that pattern long. after eading this i think i'm going to change to a little bit lighter load for the first couple of rounds. not as light as bird shot, but lighter than the turkey loads i have right now. if the guy can take 2 shots of any load then he's a better man than me anyway.

Old 07-27-2010, 11:56 PM   #40

I have a 12 guage Rem 870 with a 26 inch barrel. The barrel has a duck bill choke on it. I use number 6 or larger shot for home defense. We have little or no police protection where I live. Everyone is on their own. We have little crime because home owners take care of each other. The bad guys know this.

Patret