Home Defense shotgun - Page 3
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Home Defense shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-24-2010, 03:05 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

if the guy isn't too messed up or stupid, he'll bail out when he hears the slide rack. i shoot to kill, and yes any well placed shot should disable him. but my wife may not place a good shot, so i want a bad placed shot to put him on the ground.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:23 AM   #22

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugermatt View Post
if the guy isn't too messed up or stupid, he'll bail out when he hears the slide rack. i shoot to kill, and yes any well placed shot should disable him. but my wife may not place a good shot, so i want a bad placed shot to put him on the ground.
Hence the shotgun, it does all the hard work, all one has to do is just point in the same direction at the target.

I find that pistol grip shottys maneuver and work very well in small hallways and around corners, with an attached top folding stock that deploy very quickly for better maneuverability and control in open area encouters.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-24-2010, 06:41 PM   #23

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Thanks for the replys,

Hello all, Tahks onthe replys and responce to :

IGetEven-

Yea, I tried a few pistol grip designs and even the top folder as in your pic, I found with 00 or Slugs the Abuse to my cheek was not so nic, nor was my groups when I shot it with it folded, I accomplis the same thing by tucking the shock under my arm! Works well, less parts to fold and work and with the right loads, yes it doe s good damage!

Matt: Yup, bast case scenario is tha they leave, but I plan for wehen they don't and hope not to have to do that again! I try a lot of different gear to make the job as well accomplished as I can, therefore the Mix of other 00 buckshot and slugs on the sidesaddle and stock holder incase I need a harder punch or have to exit the house!

RON

Old 07-24-2010, 08:01 PM   #24

I will have to say to anyone that owns a shotgun w/ a pistol grip, don't ever fire a round with the grip raised to your face looking down the barrel. Not unless you want to loose some teeth. The best way to use this style shotgun is with the stock tucked under your arm. Also you shouldn't use these type of shotguns from the hip either. At least that's how I was trained.

Old 07-24-2010, 09:56 PM   #25

Liked 8 Times on 5 Posts

If you need a shot gun for home defense, why not go get you a nice old 12 gauge pump action? You can find really great used shot guns for low prices at any local pawn shop or gun store.

They're great for around the house, on camping/hiking trips and if your buddies invite you out to shoot clays you'd have a good looking gun to bring with you.

That's just me though.

Old 07-24-2010, 10:39 PM   #26

diggs, most shotguns old or new have long barrels (28" or greater) making them too awkward to use for home defense.

Last edited by UnderFire; 07-25-2010 at 12:20 AM. Reason: type-o

Old 07-24-2010, 10:47 PM   #27

i got a like new mossberg 500 with 28" barrel for $180, bought a knox recoil reducing stock, and 18.5" barrel for about $200. it took less than 20 min. to convert this gun from a hunting gun to a home defence weapon, and i am still in less than $400. the shotgun is the most versitile gun made. so that pawn shop deal can easily convert into a bad guy killer. really just put the shorter barrel on and there you go, it takes about 2 min. to change out a barrel.

Old 07-24-2010, 11:22 PM   #28

Liked 6 Times on 3 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by UnderFire View Post
diggs, most shotguns old or new have long barrels (28" or greater) making them too awkard to use for home defense.
Actually, those shotguns (28"+barrels) were never meant for home defense. Shorter barrels (18.5"-20) have been around for quite a while and marketed for home defense.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:15 AM   #29

Quote:
Originally Posted by IDVague View Post
Actually, those shotguns (28"+barrels) were never meant for home defense. Shorter barrels (18.5"-20) have been around for quite a while and marketed for home defense.
That's my whole point....
since the first successful pump action Winchester 1894 short barrels have been used for security purposes. BUT not all models new & old allow for short barrel changes. So if one is to buy at a pawn store (used) then the buyer needs to know if that model allows for shorter barrel changes before buying. The buyer will need to do some research.

Old 07-25-2010, 12:23 AM   #30

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Or you could?

Hello all, RON L here

Yes, I know most sporting shotguns come with a Longer likem 28" barrel, my used 870 did, then it met MR hacksaw, now it's a shade over 20" and set up as a HD weapon and entry gun! I don't plan to shoot any Ducks or quail, though with the cut off barrel and no choke it will still pattern, with small shot reasonably well on Bunnies and such? LOL

I am a simple man, and at Present Very poor, I live only on a Military pension with a sick wife, Busted ass van and a Rented House! I have to save $ any way I can, I do see simple, low cost methods to get the security we need with out the huge $ investment, you all can and probabaly do same?

RON

Last edited by RONSERESURPLUS; 07-25-2010 at 12:29 AM.