Home Defense shotgun - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Home Defense shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-23-2010, 12:14 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Thanks all, yup, I find a shotty a good friend on those dark nights?

Old 07-23-2010, 04:31 AM   #12

A well done report.
I'm not doubting that bird shot will dispatch a BG, but why do LEO's and military security forces use Buckshot & slugs? They have the same concerns about overpenetration; innocent victims.

Old 07-23-2010, 04:47 AM   #13

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Why LEO use Buckshot and slugs

Hello Underfire

RON L here

From the mouth of a Cop I asked that same question of last month, he said, we don't know what we will run into they don't let us cary Rifles so this is the best we can do, they stated they carry smaller shot for inside if they get time to use indoors! As for Use on Humas and 6-7-8 shot, I've done test fires on Pis wrapped in Carpet, they penetrated vital organs at normal room ranges and I have a small house! On my stock sling and side saddle a mix of 00 # 4 Buck and slugs! If I have the need, I have the access?

Old 07-23-2010, 05:00 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by RONSERESURPLUS View Post
Hello Underfire

RON L here

From the mouth of a Cop I asked that same question of last month, he said, we don't know what we will run into they don't let us cary Rifles so this is the best we can do, they stated they carry smaller shot for inside if they get time to use indoors! As for Use on Humas and 6-7-8 shot, I've done test fires on Pis wrapped in Carpet, they penetrated vital organs at normal room ranges and I have a small house! On my stock sling and side saddle a mix of 00 # 4 Buck and slugs! If I have the need, I have the access?
Hi Ron,
yes, I agree with your above satements.
I too have a variety of SD loads on my HD shotgun's (870 Police) side saddle.
Have you tested LEO designed 00 Buckshot?
I ask because it's designed to prevent overpenetration.
I keep the low recoil Leo designed shots in my shotgun and slugs are kept in the side saddle if needed.

Old 07-23-2010, 05:07 AM   #15

Liked 11 Times on 10 Posts

Excellent post here Ron. Very informative and good info to know for everyone who owns a shotgun. I still need to add a Mossberg 500 mariner to my collection and when I do I will be sure to follow the advice here.

DON'T BUY DELL!!!!!

BEWARE!!! The toes you step on today may be connected to the ass you kiss tomorrow.

PM Tango about his upcoming SHARTFOO courses.

Old 07-23-2010, 02:03 PM   #16

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Hello all, Responce to Underfire

Hello all, Responce to Underfire!

Thanks for your kind comments and no, I did not try the LEO buckshot, as I didn't have any, but as the Cop is one that I shoot with and trust his Opinion and all, I didn't know it would make a difference, is thier a commercial source for the same 00 Buckshot, I'd give it a try and try it on a pig from the Slaughter house if they had any soiled meat?

RON

Old 07-24-2010, 01:51 AM   #17

Ron,
Yes, Leo's are a great source of information.
If you ever get a chance to talk with any servicemen that are in security forces they too are a great source of information. Military security forces personnel not only go through Combat Arms Training, but also theory and ballistic studies just to name a few of the training fields they partake in. These servicemen continue to go through technical schools to help them as their careers develop.

LEO designed & military issue ammo is available on-line through different websites. I believe you will notice a difference when testing this type of ammo compared to the standard 00 Buck hunting loads. I've picked my ammo up at gun shows that I have attended in my state.
It's true that LEO's & military's ammo has to be sufficient in all case scenarios.

I enjoyed your report and respect the findings you have listed. Your report is very well done & very informative. I agree with you that everyone should consider what's best for them to use in their house. Residents that live in a mobile home shouldn't use 00 Buckshot in their HD shotguns. Although I live in a block home out in the country acres & acres from neighbors I won't use 0000 or 000 buckshot in my HD shotgun. I've enjoyed our discussion.

Old 07-24-2010, 02:10 AM   #18

i am also a beliver that there is nothing better than a shot gun for close encounters, but as i walk through my house with it when my dog stated barking like crazy, i realized how clumsy it was to manuver through the hallway. i decided my .45 left me with better manuverability. i still keep the mossberg 500 with the 18.5" barrel and knox recoil reducing stock close by. it's full of turkey load because i WILL shoot your ass through a wall if i think i need to, and bird shot might only piss a guy high on meth off. my first grab is on the night stand though, personally i don't want to look down the barrel of either.

Old 07-24-2010, 03:01 AM   #19

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by rugermatt View Post
it's full of turkey load because i WILL shoot your ass through a wall if i think i need to, and bird shot might only piss a guy high on meth off. my first grab is on the night stand though, personally i don't want to look down the barrel of either.
Indeed. Just some shared personal experiences and observations note here: Meth/angle dust/cocain are often times overrated and firearms are most often times unjustly underrated when it comes to bringing down pharmaceutical enhanced bad guys.

Good round placement and follow up shots till desired effect is obtained, from just about any caliber, will pretty much stop, drop or severely physically disable anyone, even druggies.

Did I mention well round placement and required repeated shot placement as needed?

YMMV

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 07-24-2010, 03:02 AM   #20

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Default Responce to Underfire

Ron L here

Thanks man, I enjoyed our conversation and your descrition of Leo and Military Training and past Training describes a lot of my 24 yeras in Uniform! Yes, In the military we did get some good Tactical Training, but I did get some of that as a Deputy Sheffif as well, thoguht it was a long time ago! I appreciated your coments as well!

Responce to Igeteven and matt

yup, Shot placement counts as well as a shotgun, I feel does me right in many cases, I love my handguns, but a shotgun will always have a Place in my HD duties! Thanks for your comments and I appreciated your takig the time to coment!

RON