Home defense Shotgun
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Home defense Shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-21-2014, 03:24 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 85 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 183

Default Home defense Shotgun

Need some help here. Looking at shotguns for home defense and as we all know there are alot of choices. Looking for peoples input and what they use as a Home Defense gun. So hit me with make and models and ill be able to research them farther. thanks in advance.

• Courage
  • Loyalty
  • Rectitude
  • Benevolence
  • TRUST
Guns Owned

Para USA 1911 EXPERT .45ACP - sold

Sig Sauer P238 .380ACP - sold

Glock 23 Gen 3 .40 S&W

For reviews on various products check out my youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Hellfire198362

CCW map

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-21-2014, 03:57 AM   #2
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22109 Times on 12429 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

okay, i'll play along!

Remington Model 870. excellent reputation and solid performer. lots of aftermarker support in parts and accessories.

Mossberg Model 500. another excellent choice with lot of aftermarket support in parts and accessories as well.

Winchester SXP Defender. solid performer with a great action. my current HD shotgun.

Maverick Model 88. economy version of the Mossberg Model 500 and some parts and accessories for the 500 will work on the 88 as well.

these will get you started on research into what's best for you. all four i have listed, i have owned at one time or another. never had any problems with any of them.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:00 AM   #3
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1267 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 546

Well,

You have Remington 870's and Mossberg 590's. They're economically priced pump guns that get the job done.

On the high end, you have Benelli M4 Super 90 (M1014) and SAIGA-12 (AK shotguns).

Pretty much every SAIGA-12 gets customized, so it ends up costing more than the base shotgun does, which isn't all that inexpensive to begin with.

There are obviously plenty other makes/models to choose from, all of which will do the job, but the aftermarket and parts availability for them is less than with the big 4.

I have a Remington 870 Police Magnum. It's not as fancy as a Benelli, but I feed it whatever I want and it hasn't complained. I replace a lot of the cheap factory parts with better aftermarket parts.

The sights, safety, magazine follower, sling plates, stock, slide, and side saddle are all aftermarket. Basically, it's about a 1K gun now, on par with what a stock Colt 6920 costs.

What you choose to put on your shotgun is up to you, but I prefer a shotgun with a white light, a correct length of pull stock for me (not a Viking), sling plates or swivels, an adjustable two point sling, and tritium night sights. Whatever else you want is personal preference, but it's hard for the shotgun to function as a home defense weapon without those accessories that I listed.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:29 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Mossberg 590 Mariner...click below....

http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/german-stamped-mossberg-590-mariner-92689/

"Feuer Frei!"

DP03 Likes This 
Old 04-21-2014, 04:36 AM   #5

Liked 3 Times on 3 Posts

Personally I have a Remington 870 with an 18 inch barrel that I load with alternating buckshot and slugs. I would be equally comfortable with a Mossberg 500/590 however and it seems to me they have more reasonably priced defense options than the 870. There are really countless choices it just really depends what you're willing to spend.

Sent from my iPhone using Firearms Talk

Old 04-21-2014, 04:36 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1267 Times on 706 Posts
Likes Given: 546

One last note on the subject. In life you generally get what you pay for.

People who expect a $250-$350 Remington 870 Express to function like a $500-$600 Remington 870 Police Magnum are going to be disappointed (if they've used both).

A manufacturer can't make a $250 shotgun (or less for the Chinese versions) function the same way a shotgun that costs double what the hunting shotguns cost. Somewhere Remington, Mossberg, and NORINCO are going to have to cut costs to make an offering at the price point.

So, generally speaking, things like precise machining or polishing and hand fitting of parts are not an option for economical hunting shotguns. Yes, you can do those things yourself if you have the know-how and time, but the manufacturer has materials, machine time and tooling, and labor costs that aren't going away. Ever notice how manufacturers offer things at about the same price point with respect to military spec firearms?

Colt 1911: ~$1K
Colt SAA: ~$1K
Colt 6920: ~$1K

Arsenal AK (stamped or milled): ~$1K
SAIGA 12 (military variant): ~$1K

Remington 700 Police: ~$1K
Winchester Model 70: ~$1K

Remington 870 Police Magnum: $500-$600
Mossberg 590: $500-$600

Glock 17: $500-$600
S&W M&P9: $500-$600
Beretta M9:$500-$600

See any pattern there?

Through luck or deal, you may find better prices, but let's talk general case, not whether or not Bubba knows who wants to dump an original Colt Walker revolver for fifty bucks because the seller knows nothing about what he's selling. Can you purchase used or when a deal is offered? Certainly, but if you already knew exactly what you were looking, what you were willing to pay, and what you could come by as alternatives for what you wanted, then you would not have asked any questions here.

So, for something you're going to bet your life and the lives of your family members on, spend a little extra and get something that was specifically designed for what you stated you were looking for and realize that a pump that cycles smoothly or a military auto loader that feeds and shucks every time is worth the money.

With respect to accessories, every long gun needs a sling and a home defense long gun needs a single point or two point quick-adjust. I prefer the two point quick adjust for heavier guns, but inside your home a single point will work just as well. Your call on that one.

You also need a high quality white light to identify what you may or may not have requirement to shoot at. I prefer SureFire for this purpose. Yes, other brands are available. I've never broken a TIR lens SureFire. I've scratched them up and chipped pieces of aluminum out of the bezel or body from dropping them or smacking them into things, but I've not broken one.

I prefer the X300 because it's the least expensive purpose designed weapon light SureFire sells, but other purpose designed models work just as well. SureFire makes integrated fore end weapon lights for both the Remington 870 and Mossberg 590 and they're not that much more expensive than the X300.

If you have the coin for a SAIGA-12 or Benelli M4, then you can afford to experiment with what works best for you.

Old 04-21-2014, 04:41 AM   #7

Liked 406 Times on 252 Posts
Likes Given: 6

not sure what your budget is but a used gun can be a great value. mine is a 27 year old Mossberg 500, I bought it used for $100 a couple years ago, found a used 18.5" barrel on ebay for $70 away I go.

other economical options (if you're only looking for home defense & not bird hunting) are the H&R/NEF Pardner pump at $179 new here. it's basically an 870 copy & a lot of the parts are interchangeable.

another option is the Armscor/Rock Island M5. it's a copy of the old High Standard shotguns which hands down have the smoothest action I've ever run, and by all accounts I've heard the M5 is just as smooth

All I've had today is like 6 gummi bears & some scotch

Old 04-21-2014, 04:52 AM   #8

Liked 314 Times on 141 Posts
Likes Given: 65

I have both a Remington 870 (Nitro Tactical) and a Mossberg 930. The 870 is the wife's.. She picked it up at the LGS and fell right in love with it. I however, really like my 930. It is a bit fussy about ammo, but as long as I feed it ammo with enough power to cycle the action it will go all day.

Criminals are never materially handicapped by such rules; the only effect is to disarm the peaceful citizen and put him fully at the mercy of the lawless. Such rules look very pretty on paper; in practice they are as foolish and footless as the attempt of the mice to bell the cat.

Letter to Alice Dalgliesh, the editor who was censoring his manuscript for Red Planet, regarding gun control registration and control Published in 1949

Old 04-21-2014, 07:26 AM   #9

Liked 85 Times on 69 Posts
Likes Given: 183

should have included a budget. probably up to 600$ starting to save now and will probably spend up to that on a shotgun. thanks for all the advice already guys and gals

• Courage
  • Loyalty
  • Rectitude
  • Benevolence
  • TRUST
Guns Owned

Para USA 1911 EXPERT .45ACP - sold

Sig Sauer P238 .380ACP - sold

Glock 23 Gen 3 .40 S&W

For reviews on various products check out my youtube!

https://www.youtube.com/user/Hellfire198362

CCW map

http://www.handgunlaw.us/LicMaps/ccwmap.php

Old 04-21-2014, 07:53 AM   #10

Liked 206 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 164

This is a personal opinion, not a hard and fast rule. If you have a shotgun setup for skeet then use it for sheet, if you have one setup for ducks, then use it for ducks. But if it is for home defense then get one for that purpose and leave it alone as setup.

Just an opinion.
Jim

Weatherby 459 18.5 inch barrel, 12 gauge 2 3/4 & 3 inch shells, Light, red dot & breaching choke.