home defense SG - shorter barrel vs higher capacity?
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > home defense SG - shorter barrel vs higher capacity?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-13-2009, 06:18 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default home defense SG - shorter barrel vs higher capacity?

I know there is no 'right' answer, but I am trying to decide between a 20" with 8-shell capacity or a 18.5" with a 5-shell capacity. Which is more important - an extra 3-shells or 1.5" shorter barrel. (btw- both are 12ga - the 18.5" is a Remington 870 and the other is a Mossberg 500) - they are within $20 of each other. This is for a home-defense weapon. I am not looking to go hunting or target shooting

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 05-13-2009, 06:42 PM   #2

Liked 1423 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwilliams131 View Post
I know there is no 'right' answer, but I am trying to decide between a 20" with 8-shell capacity or a 18.5" with a 5-shell capacity. Which is more important - an extra 3-shells or 1.5" shorter barrel. (btw- both are 12ga - the 18.5" is a Remington 870 and the other is a Mossberg 500) - they are within $20 of each other. This is for a home-defense weapon. I am not looking to go hunting or target shooting
Check the mfgs data for muzzle rating. It should be cylinder and no constriction designations like skeet, modified or full. You want no sizing change from cylinder for HD.

Research the pattern of both guns at <20 feet. (A typical indoors HD shot distance.)

My guess is, in that short distance, the pattern has little time to form (with a 1.5" barrel length delta) and would be a wash. If you find data, please post it so this barrel issue, with regards to HD can be put to bed. If no statistically significance pattern delta, I would go with capacity.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 05-13-2009, 06:51 PM   #3

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I also went for 8 shot capacity in the Remington. Then took off the stock for the shorter over all length. Also added a light/laser unit.

Old 05-14-2009, 12:13 AM   #4

Yeah, I am leaning toward higher capacity. You say you did the same and removed the stock. I am assuming you put on a pistol-grip stock. I am a novice to shot-guns but what I have been reading is that pistol-grip stocks are for movies not real life (hard to control). But is the thought that because you added a laser-sight you can make-up for the control issue?

Old 05-14-2009, 01:18 AM   #5

Liked 11 Times on 9 Posts

I replaced the factory stock with a folding stock/pistol grip. (see photo above) It was very easy to do. The link below is the part I used. There are all kinds of after market parts for the Remington 870.

SHT-057 - ATI Universal ShotgunTop Folding Stock Black Locks Open and Closed

I've found the handling with the pistol grip is fine for close up, but I have fairly strong hands. If I'm outside and have any distance I fold the stock down and shoot from the shoulder. The light unit is very bright and nice to have. The laser is not so necessary, but great for that first impression.

Old 05-14-2009, 03:55 AM   #6

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

Bought the Wife a 18.5 Mossy with the pistol grip. She can handle it with the LE reduced recoil rounds quite well

Old 05-14-2009, 07:45 PM   #7

Well, I went ahead and bought the Mossy 500 Persuader 20" 12ga with 8-shell capacity (now to find a good rationale for the cash outlay to tell my wife!). Now that I have it home, it does seem bigger than I thought it would (tried moving around corners in 'ready' position) - but I doubt if the 1.5 inches would make much of a difference. But I do think I will get a foldable stock.

Next - a Sig556, but that will be a different thread

Old 05-15-2009, 06:57 AM   #8

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

If this isn't your ready position, try this. This is what I have hear called "indoor ready" and allows you to clear smaller spaces while still being able to deploy your shotgun. This position is preferable to port arms carry inside because if you are surprised by a subject its is easier to maintain control of your gun. You can pull back and squat which will lower the rear of the gun and bring the muzzle to bear on your opponent.

I don't make jokes, I just watch the government and report the facts. -Will Rogers

An appeaser is one who feeds a crocodile, hoping it will eat him last. -Winston Churchill