Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Home Defense Scattergun Sight

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-06-2012, 04:38 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Default Home Defense Scattergun Sight

I'm a gear whore. Now that that's out of the way, I'll explain my position...

I own a Mossberg 500 - it's all dolled up for a home defense / CQB scenario. I currently have a reflex sight on it. I like the sight because of its ability to use with both eyes open. I also like the fact that if I ever needed to throw a slug farther down range, the sight can help with accuracy. I know that roughly 95% of home invasion scenarios are at night and you need to be quick / prepared to confidently defend your house; not turning on your electronic sight. With that said, what sight should I really be using? I've read a lot of great things about ghost ring sights, but wasn't sure. I wanted some opinions from you guys.

So - best sight for a home defense shotgun?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 06-06-2012, 04:46 AM   #2

Liked 460 Times on 267 Posts
Likes Given: 22

I like the bead at the end of the barrel. Simple and effective

Old 06-06-2012, 04:48 AM   #3

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

XS Ghost ring sights. A bead is great except you should never be looking at the barrel of the shotgun and they aren't much use in low light.

Old 06-07-2012, 02:08 AM   #4

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Bead.
GRS' look cool, and mite be OK for slugs at distance when u use your shotgun as a rifle. Not useful on a shotgun.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:24 PM   #5

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

I like the XS Ghost Ring sight system. I've been looking over a few options and I have to say that the ones with the tritium insert look awesome. I understand that a simple bead would probably work just as well but as stated in my OP - I'm a gear whore.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:49 PM   #6

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

I have a reflex that is always on, just flip the hood off. Ghost Rings are good for hd if you train them, not as fast as a bead or reflex but works just fine.....if you train with them.

Old 06-12-2012, 01:56 PM   #7

Liked 4 Times on 3 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by oli700
I have a reflex that is always on, just flip the hood off. Ghost Rings are good for hd if you train them, not as fast as a bead or reflex but works just fine.....if you train with them.
Always on? So what do you do about the battery? Check it every now and then to make sure it's still functioning?

I love shooting shotgun, so trigger time isn't a problem. Also, I've heard once acclimated to the sights they can be very fast.

Old 06-12-2012, 02:13 PM   #8

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

Yep, it is a Primary Arms micro reflex green dot. I have had it for 3 or 4 years and its used one battery. When the hood is on it goes into a low power mode. It operates on a photo sensor so in the dark it is dim and in the light it gets real bright. I love it but alas it is an electronic device and unreliable by nature.....never let me down yet though. It lived a year on a 40 cal and the rest on a heavily shot 12 ga.

Here is a little video shot of it

Old 06-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #9

Liked 1961 Times on 1163 Posts
Likes Given: 423

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRicho1 View Post
Always on? So what do you do about the battery? Check it every now and then to make sure it's still functioning?

I love shooting shotgun, so trigger time isn't a problem. Also, I've heard once acclimated to the sights they can be very fast.
If you are truely a gear whore then you need to just go ahead and buy an Aimpoint T1 micro. They have a 50,000 hour contiuous use battery life. So, you can leave it on for 5 years before changing batteries. The T-1 also has 4 night vision settings so you can use it when you get gear crazy enough to go all out on NV gear. And you can dive the T1 to depths of 80 feet, so that you can scuba fully armed and ready. You can take it in a blizard down to -50 degrees F or leave it in the baking car as long as it doesn't go over 160 degrees F.

Not cheap though. But what good gear whore cares about cost?

Dude. It's what the SEALs use, o.k. 'Nuff said

Old 06-12-2012, 11:18 PM   #10

Liked 6 Times on 6 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheRicho1 View Post
I'm a gear whore. Now that that's out of the way, I'll explain my position...

I own a Mossberg 500 - it's all dolled up for a home defense / CQB scenario. I currently have a reflex sight on it. I like the sight because of its ability to use with both eyes open. I also like the fact that if I ever needed to throw a slug farther down range, the sight can help with accuracy. I know that roughly 95% of home invasion scenarios are at night and you need to be quick / prepared to confidently defend your house; not turning on your electronic sight. With that said, what sight should I really be using? I've read a lot of great things about ghost ring sights, but wasn't sure. I wanted some opinions from you guys.

So - best sight for a home defense shotgun?
Check out XS sights. They are worth every single stinkin penny. I have them on my G19, my G27, and my Mossberg M500.