Home defense loads?

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Home defense loads?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2013, 04:00 AM   #1
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 362 Times on 230 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Default Home defense loads?

Hey guys. Back again after a few week break. I have saved so much time and money and I need it again. For about a year I have been running standard buckshot (brown box military surplus and Winchester standard buckshot). Recently I started loading managed recoil (00 buck 8 pellets at 1200 FPS). Call me a sissy, damn thing kicks like a mule with brown box and standard loads. Is it a wise choice to sacrifice a pellet for less recoil (and yes managed recoil is amazing it really works). Or am I doing this totally wrong?

Also; chokes. I am running a remchoke SKEET. I think someone told me a few months ago from the forums that this was the best choice since it was between other chokes. Thoughts on this?

Firearm: Remington 870

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 12-14-2013, 05:57 AM   #2

Liked 182 Times on 132 Posts
Likes Given: 184

To me if you can engage the targets quicker or have a faster fallow up shot on a target with these rounds then yea i would say its ok. Either way you cook it getting shot sucks getting shot with a shotgun is just hell.

"come on you sons of b***hs! do you want to live forever?" Sergeant Daniel Daly, USMC, Belleau Wood France June 6th 1918

"You can be as mad as a mad dog at the way things went. You could swear, curse the fates, but when it comes to the end, you have to let go" Benjamin Button

BE PREPARED

Old 12-14-2013, 07:27 AM   #3
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1576 Times on 963 Posts
Likes Given: 8141

Use what you are comfortable with. If a certain round kicks too much, it will affect accuracy and recovery time for your 2nd shot if needed. If low recoilw works well for you, go with it.

As to the chokes question, no 2 guns are exactly the same and what works for me may or may not work for you. Check your patterns with every choke that came with the shotgun, and see what patterns best at in the home ranges. You may find that a larger choke works best with the ammo and shotgun you have, but a smaller one could work just as well. The only way to know what works best is to put in the range time.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

To those who wish to take away our Second Amendment rights. What will you do when we, all 100,000,000 of us, stand as one, and say no?

Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 12-14-2013, 09:06 AM   #4
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21581 Times on 12248 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

IMO, i don't think for SD usage you would be sacrifiicing anything at the distances within the home with using reduced recoil ammo in your shotgun. 8 pellets at 1200 fps is still going to do extensive damage at close range. and if you gain quicker control from reduction in recoil for a follow-up shot if needed, then you are way ahead of the game.

now the choke is just something you need to pattern it with that aammo and see what it looks like and then adjust accordingly. i would set up some cardboard targets and test at between 20-30 feet and see how it patterns, and where the POI is.

Old 12-14-2013, 02:07 PM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1208 Times on 824 Posts
Likes Given: 1217

I don`t know how HUGE you alls houses are but at my house, I`m not going to be shooting at anyone more than 20 feet away, so I use 2&3/4" #4`s, at 15' it`s just going to blow a hole in em, won`t even be out of the darn wad at 15' !.............

When all else fails.

Old 12-14-2013, 03:39 PM   #6

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

You will definitely have the bad guy laughing at you when they get shot with only 8 pellets of DOUBLE AUGHT BUCKSHOT as where with 9 you would do the job correctly.

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves