Home Defense for an arthritic man
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Home Defense for an arthritic man

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2011, 09:39 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Home Defense for an arthritic man

I'm new to these forums, so I'd like to just say hello first.
So... Hello!

Ok, so my dad needs a home defense shot gun, but he suffers from a form of rheumatoid arthritis known as gout. I took him to my local FFL today to handle a few specimens just to get a feeling for them. He could barely operate the pump action on an 870, and the over and under was completely out of the question as well. Came to the conclusion that he needs a semi. Now the man is in his 60's, and has almost no firearm experience. He is a lefty, and his right hand is prone to gout flare ups.

Can anyone recommend a left handed, home defense, semi? I know it's a tall order, but I'm sure some one on this site might be able to offer some information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-30-2011, 09:52 PM   #2

Liked 1424 Times on 808 Posts
Likes Given: 1290

Not Southpaw but the price is right!

CZ USA 712 Utility 12ga 20" $323.00 SHIPS FREE

Mossberg 930HS 12g 18" CB BD 5-shot $442.00 SHIPS FREE

Call Gurney and ask him if they have any semi leftys.

http://i1060.photobucket.com/albums/...ps18cfbeae.jpg

Get her dirty, then clean her so she starts to respect you. When her trust is complete, she will serve you well for a lifetime!

"...if doves shot back, there wouldn't be a need for a bag limit."
- orangello

Old 01-31-2011, 01:31 AM   #3

Liked 154 Times on 116 Posts

Man, that's a tall order. A friend has gout and they haven't been able to control it fully with Meds, and he has been reduced to shooting at most a 22 or a 38 Special offhand with his one good hand. He has tried a 20 and a 12 semi while standing with a walker and the pain in his hand was too bad to keep it up.
You might try a get him to shoot a right handed 20 gauge 1100 and see how that does recoil wise with buckshot, and then you could try to find one in a lefty version. I think Remington and Beretta are about the only ones who have made those, but not sure.
Good luck.

What could have happened... did.

Old 01-31-2011, 01:37 AM   #4
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

So, if an over/under is out, i guess a double-barrelled "coach gun" wouldn't work either, eh?

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 01-31-2011, 09:49 PM   #5

I am a lefty and been shooting RH guns all my life. I have had to learn a lot of things the "wrong" way, matter of fact. I dunno if I would get too worried about the LH gun. If this is for HD, the chance of him ever needing it is slim anyway but in any case, you learn to block out seeing that shell eject and probably would be focused on other matters in HD use.

Old 01-31-2011, 10:05 PM   #6
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2993 Times on 1560 Posts
Likes Given: 278

Try a pistol grip forend. It will give better leverage to "rack" the gun.

Teach him to load and use from "cruiser ready" mode. Unload and clear the shotgun. Point the muzzle in a safe direction and pull the trigger. DO NOT rack the action. Hold the forend forward and load the magazine tube. Leave the safety in the fire position.

To use, simply rack the action and fire.

I find the Winchester 1300/FN pump shotguns the easiest and fastest to operate. They are far easier and faster than the 870 or Mossbergs. THere are alot of used Defenders out there at a very reasonable price.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 01-31-2011, 11:08 PM   #7

Liked 22 Times on 14 Posts
Likes Given: 15

Have you considered a really big dog you could train, might be more expensive but it could help in other ways also

we're Americans and we pray for peace, and if we can't have peace we find and destroy the people who screwed up the damn peace. So we can have some peace. - Christopher Titus

Old 02-01-2011, 01:11 AM   #8
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2375 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 682

Quote:
Originally Posted by orangello View Post
So, if an over/under is out, i guess a double-barrelled "coach gun" wouldn't work either, eh?
A hammerless coach gun in 20 gauge could be choice. The are shorter and lighter than the OUs. You dont see many short OU shotguns. Dont overlook a 410. There are some defensive rounds designed for the Judge that would work well in a light pump. The standard load of 3-000 buck is not a slacker with the higher velocity. I saw a back pack model pump in 410 that was pretty slick but I dont know the brand..
One other possibility would be a pistol caliber carbine.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 02-02-2011, 12:28 AM   #9
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2375 Times on 1283 Posts
Likes Given: 682

I was thinking about the situation last night. I checked with the gun shop and the 410 pump was a Mossberg 510 mini Super Bantam. Another model is the SA20 which is an Auto.
Here is another suggestion. At short range a shotgun has to be aimed. The pattern really doesn't open up that quick. Consider a Ruger 10-22, possibly with a laser and 25 rnd mag. Several hits from a 22 rifle are a lot better than misses from a shotgun. It is light, quick, easy to shoot with no recoil, less training than a handgun and they are relatively cheap to shoot. Lots of practice and lots of accessories.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Last edited by JTJ; 02-02-2011 at 01:00 AM.

Old 02-02-2011, 02:32 PM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Or the 10-22's bigger brother: Firearms, Guns, Rifles. Grain Valley, Missouri. Might need a smithy to put on a bigger charging handle or mag release.

Alternatively, have you heard about the civilian model tazers? Gander mountain had them the other day, less range but still a shocker. TASER C2 | TASER Gun Superstore

Dead Bears, the only good kind.