Home Defense Accessories
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Home Defense Accessories

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-12-2011, 08:53 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Home Defense Accessories

Ladies and Gentlemen,

Buying a Remington 870 Express Tactical soon. Looking into the various accessory options and attempting to sort through them with people who have experience with them. Here is what I AM getting:

1. Pistol grip
2. Laser+light

Here is what I was wondering. UAG sells a rail system slide with a vertical grip attachment in a package with all the bells and whistles. You can see it here: Amazon.com: UAG Remington 870 12 Gauge Shotgun Ultimate Tactical Conversion Kit: Six Position Stock + Shell Holders + Recoil Pad + Tri Rail Forend Pump + Light + Laser + Grip: Sports & Outdoors

Now, my question is...do these install easily? (I mean, do I NEED a gunsmith to do it to make sure it is done properly)

I also am looking at separate systems with just a small rail system up front and then adding a pistol grip slide, with the same question in mind.

If anyone has any experience with these systems or can give me another opinion about my choice in accessories, it would be much appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-13-2011, 02:24 AM   #2

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

they make the bed side gun rest for it if ur using it as a bed side gun so its right there when u need it. it goes between the matress and the box spring.
Rest Easy: Bedside Holsters | Gun Holsters News

Old 09-13-2011, 02:26 AM   #3

Default Great purchase!

hardcorps,
The 870 express is a great option for home defense and recreation, you are sure to have a blast with it! (pun intended)

In my opinion UAG makes decent products but not at the price figure you are looking at.

A full quad rail becomes very tiresome in the hand after racking the slide a multiple times.

Also you could use a folding stock as well for better mobility around the house in case a break in or simply for ease of carry to the range.

I recommend the Advanced Technology Intl 6-Position Side Folding Tactical Shotgun Stock and For end
Advanced Technology Intl*Tact Shotgn 6-Pos SdFldg Stk/Fore*TSG0100

It comes with everything you need and none of what you don't
you save about 40 dollars that you can put towards a nice light or forward grip that you actually want!

The installation is not difficult, all you need is patience and regular garage tools

I would be happy to walk you through our entire product line if you have any more questions
happy shooting!

Old 09-13-2011, 02:26 AM   #4

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

o sry i didnt read your hole post. Im not experinced with shotguns to much

Old 09-13-2011, 04:16 AM   #5

Liked 52 Times on 33 Posts
Likes Given: 59

I have a pistol grip shoulder stock. I like it very much for the extra control it gives me with the recoil. I'm not a fan of just a pistol grip, seems like it would be too limiting.

I have not had any luck with lights mounted on a 12 gauge. Either they work loose, or something inside gets buggered up and they don't work properly, and I have tried some good and cheap lights, neither have held up. I don't really see a need for a laser on a shotgun, either. I don't think it would help me much.

The best things I have added to a defense shotgun are a sidesaddle to hold more shells, a mag extension, and a 3 point sling. That is enough for me. YMMV. If my shotgun had a receiver rail I would think about a reflex or holographic sight. I've used these before on carbines and they give great target acquisition while keeping both eyes open. The also will work if you are not holding or sighting normally as when moving, or follow-up shots.
Good luck and happy shooting.

Join the NRA! Stop the Brady madness!

Old 09-13-2011, 06:11 PM   #6

Liked 176 Times on 131 Posts
Likes Given: 44

I think the Mossberg barrel for the 870 with the stand off muzzle brake would be kind of a last ditch effort to keep someone from grabbing your gun if your pokin at em

630168.jpg  

S&W 915 9mm
Mossberg 500 Mariner 12ga
1945 Win 94
Ruger MKIII 22/45 4"
Savage MK II
Ruger SP101 .357
Kung-Fu Moves

Old 09-13-2011, 06:52 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

Quote:
Originally Posted by fireguy View Post
I have a pistol grip shoulder stock. I like it very much for the extra control it gives me with the recoil. I'm not a fan of just a pistol grip, seems like it would be too limiting.

The best things I have added to a defense shotgun are a sidesaddle to hold more shells...

Good luck and happy shooting.
I agree with this. I like my pistol grip with a full shoulder stock and my sidesaddle.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-13-2011, 08:00 PM   #8

Thanks for the responses. Now a different question...I am looking for a very basic sight to put on the rail system. I want to buy EOtech, but I don't want a sight worth more than my shotgun. Is there a good sight that doesn't cost $400 out there? It sounds like a lot of the cheaper ones are made for airsoft guns...

I will probably go with the rail system fore-grip I used on my first deployment, then try (at least for a bit) to add an LED flashlight, if not for anything other than to throw the intruder off before I disarm/dismember them. I think that seems to be the best for stability and functionality.

Overall, I think the accessories will be:
Adjustable stock
Pistol grip
Standard fore grip
Reflex/red dot sight
Flashlight
Side saddle (5 rds)

Old 09-13-2011, 09:49 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5732 Times on 3358 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I would think you would need a pretty stout sighting device to handle the recoil on a 12guage, but i have minimal experience with such devices.

I have seen recommended a Burris model that wasn't all that expensive; not sure if it could handle the recoil, though.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 09-14-2011, 08:54 PM   #10

Yeah, that's my issue. I don't want to sight in quick, fire 2 rounds off at the intruder, then have the sight drop to the ground as he reaches for his weapon...you know what I mean? For now, I think the stock sight will WORK, but rapid target acquisition is much easier with a red-dot/holo sight...