Home Defense - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Home Defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-23-2013, 10:53 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 5734 Times on 3360 Posts
Likes Given: 4877

I have an old ass Mossberg 500 with an 18.5" barrel for HD. The 28" hunting barrel is in the safe.

Dead Bears, the only good kind.

Old 03-26-2013, 06:26 AM   #12

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Thanks guys! The input was great. Planning on going with the Mossberg

Old 03-26-2013, 06:46 PM   #13
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1730 Times on 1065 Posts
Likes Given: 9241

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
Mossberg is more reliable and better made. Their shotguns have the safety on top where your thumb is located. No need to locate and change hand positions in the dark for the safety like the Remington's. I recommend the Mossberg 590 Mariner 9 shot SP. It is water/salt water proof if you need to patrol your land. It also makes a great boat gun if you fish.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gatoragn View Post
I have a 30 year old 870 Wingmaster that will meet or exceed any pump Mossberg ever made. The new express Remy's do not trip my trigger.
Wow. Usually it takes 2 to 3 pages before before we start bashing each other's choices. Did we just set a new record?

OP. Have you shot both an 870 and a 500 yet? If you have not, I would recomend you do so. I had a Maverick 88 for close to 20 years, and it worked flawlessly during that time. However, I did wind up giving it to a friend, so his son could start hunting with him after I lost the vision in my right eye. The reason I parted ways with that shotgun? Trigger guard placement, and palm swell. It fit like a glove right handed, (Even with my smaller hand size and finger length) but when I went to LH use only, I couldn't get my finger to sit right on the trigger. Or I would bump the slide release while trying to set my trigger finger in the right spot. That is the only reason that I mow use an 870 for HD.

As a side note to all the lefties out there who went with a 500 because of it's safety location. For about an $80 investment, you can change the right handed safety on an 870 to a LH one. $20 for the part, and whatever your smith charges an hour.

Please note that I am not bashing either one of the 2 shotguns mentioned. I am only bashing my own d@mn genetics, (why did I get my hand size from my mother!!!!!) and my own dumb luck. Shoot both, pick what you like, and get it if you can afford it. After all, I have an 870, my step-daughter has an 870, and my wife has a 500, and I never hear them fighting in the safe. Granted, I have been hearing strange noises from the safe in the middle of the night, and I keep finding new Mosin Nagants ............ But that'a something for another thread, on another day. Best of luck.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

Last edited by kfox75; 03-26-2013 at 06:52 PM.
axxe55 Likes This 
Old 03-27-2013, 03:31 PM   #14

Likes Given: 11

I picked up this Mossy 500 riot shotgun trade in from petrol cars . and going to replace the stock and forearm it has a factory cylinder bore . and I have it loaded with 3" 00 Buckshot 6+1

Old 03-28-2013, 07:36 PM   #15

I prefer both rem 870 & mossberg 500 . I hv both & they wrk great .

Old 03-28-2013, 08:36 PM   #16
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2291 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 669

You need to get a Joe Biden Special. A $50,000 side by side double. Make sure you keep a couple of #8 bird dust to fire in the air.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:00 PM   #17

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

I'm a fan of the 870 (though mine is an older one). I also used them years ago professionally...they were indestructible, even in a corrosive coastal environment.

But let me ask, why a shotgun? Why not a carbine? Shotguns (especially pump actions) are terrible for ranges you are likely to experience inside your house (slow follow-up shots, nearly zero spread across a room...may as well have a semi-auto rifle).

And although I love the 870, it's not safe to keep a round chambered in an 870...the safety merely blocks the trigger.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:13 PM   #18
JTJ
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2291 Times on 1241 Posts
Likes Given: 669

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoastieGM View Post
I'm a fan of the 870 (though mine is an older one). I also used them years ago professionally...they were indestructible, even in a corrosive coastal environment.

But let me ask, why a shotgun? Why not a carbine? Shotguns (especially pump actions) are terrible for ranges you are likely to experience inside your house (slow follow-up shots, nearly zero spread across a room...may as well have a semi-auto rifle).

And although I love the 870, it's not safe to keep a round chambered in an 870...the safety merely blocks the trigger.
You did not mention the sound of a shotgun going off in a small room. You will suffer hearing damage.

Patron Member NRA
"I would not be an old man if I had not been an armed young man." JTJ
I was taught to respect my elders but they are getting harder to find.

Old 05-05-2013, 02:29 PM   #19

Liked 3 Times on 2 Posts

Eh? What did you say? Speak up.

Old 05-07-2013, 12:32 PM   #20

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Quote:
Originally Posted by TnRebel View Post
I picked up this Mossy 500 riot shotgun trade in from petrol cars . and going to replace the stock and forearm it has a factory cylinder bore . and I have it loaded with 3" 00 Buckshot 6+1

U have it loaded with 5+1 if they are American brand 3" shells and fewer if you cheaped out.

And you have it resting under a pillow of Nathan Bedford Forrest, founder of The KKK, carrying the second Confederate National Flag which (unlike the Confederate Battle Flag idiots whine about) really did stand for the peculiar institution.

Try this OP:
mossberg-500-field-security-combo.jpg  

Last edited by HockaLouis; 05-07-2013 at 12:41 PM.