Home defense - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Home defense

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2013, 09:26 PM   #11
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

Quote:
Originally Posted by gearhead396 View Post
I don't think there's anything wrong with a 16 year old having weapons I know I've had and I've seen many other posts from other guys that have posted have had guns since they were kids. I've had guns in my personal possession since I was 12 a 12 gauge shotgun and a 22 then when I turned 18 my father gave me a glock 30 obviously that one stayed at my parents till I turned 21 but it was in my room. Now you are going to have to get mom to get the shot gun obviously but if you are safe and know how to use a gun if you don't know how take a safety class with mom they can be fun. If you do all this I don't see any reason why you couldn't have one in your room also I mean **** your old enough to drive. Also know though you can not take it out of the house till you are 18 Always be safe and responsible glad you are going about this the right way I know when I was 15-16 i was always gettin asked if I wanted to buy a gun. Also welcome to the forum
I agree with you, but things seem to have changed in America about a great many things when it comes to our youth. I think it is in everybody's best interest to first get permission from a parent before offering advise. This can be about drinking, girls, puberty, religion etc.. it is best to cover your ass. No offense to the young man, but people love to sue and throw fits these days. Not saying your mother would, but in general. Look at prayers in the schools, hell even saying the pledge. If his mother came to me and asked for him to one of my courses, I would be happy to. My two oldest are 13 and 16 and they are very good with firearms and self-defense. If one of my students would ask me what shotgun to buy, I would say a Mossberg 500 or 590. It is better then Remington due to the easy to manipulate safety on the top where the thumb is located. The materials and reliability is also top notch. 9 shot magazine is ideal. 00 buck for home and bird shot for an apartment. Take a course with the family and practice practice practice. What ever you do, do not listen to Joey Biden!!! Your mother is welcome to ask for opinions on this sight too. I am proud to see our youth wanting to protect their family. Most of them live in the cyberworld oblivious to their surroundings. Kudos!!!!!

Old 03-19-2013, 09:27 PM   #12

Liked 72 Times on 57 Posts
Likes Given: 13

Quote:
Originally Posted by ledhead97 View Post
Look guys I know what I'm doing and my mom knows what she is doing it would stay with her and I know not to play around with guns now I was just trying to ask a simple question
Good for you. Nothing wrong w/ protecting your mom and home. But like others have said Get your mom to go to your local gun store and ask. I would suggest a 410 pump or single shot to start with but find out what the laws are in your state, first!

Old 03-19-2013, 09:43 PM   #13

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thank you guys for understanding I know what to do and not what to do with guns my mom is ok with getting one and she wants to carry herself she's already got her permit she is just looking for what she wants to carry I know that guns are not toys we love going to the range and shooting all different types of things just so we can see what we want to get

Old 03-19-2013, 09:54 PM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Thank you guys for understanding I know what to do and not what to do with guns my mom is ok with getting one and she wants to carry herself she's already got her permit she is just looking for what she wants to carry I know that guns are not toys we love going to the range and shooting all different types of things just so we can see what we want to get
Well then go for the Mossberg!!!!!!!!
Well, now we are helping mom. She is welcome to join in the forum. There are women already members. What to carry? What is she looking for? Revolver or semi, safety?, striker fire or DA/SA? Has she chosen a caliber-she already shoots so what is her prefered caliber? How much is she willing to spend? Talk to us mom....

Old 03-19-2013, 10:07 PM   #15

Liked 367 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Would be glad to help your mother. Check your laws. If you have a castle defense doctrine, in most cases, you are free to shoot as long as you feel your life is in danger. This world is very dangerous.

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 03-19-2013, 10:16 PM   #16

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

She wants to go with a 40 semi auto we like shooting that caliber idk what the DA/SA is but we are willing to spend anything on the handgun

Old 03-19-2013, 10:21 PM   #17

Liked 367 Times on 234 Posts
Likes Given: 157

Quote:
She wants to go with a 40 semi auto we like shooting that caliber idk what the DA/SA is but we are willing to spend anything on the handgun
Double action and single action

Haven't got a lot, I don't need a lot. Coffee's only a dime. Living in the sunlight, Loving in the moonlight, Having a wonderful time!

I CAME, I SAW, I CONQUERED...

Old 03-19-2013, 10:29 PM   #18

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by molonlabexx

Double action and single action
Single action

Old 03-19-2013, 11:01 PM   #19
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

You you are looking for only single action gun, then a 1911 is your best bet. Guns can also be both double action and single action. This means the first shot the hammer is down. The next shots the hammer will automatically stay back and there is less of a trigger pull. Guns like Glock are only double action striker fire. You will get the same longer trigger pull each time. I recommend a DA and SA semi-auto. I recommend an HK USP .40 Caliber. You can get in full size (for the home) or compact (concealed carry). The gun is a polymer frame (like a glock), that has a decocker and safety. The spring makes the recoil of the gun very light. It has very good three dots sights. It is German engineered and made for the battle field. It will take any abuse you give it. It has 13 rounds magazines for full size, but you can buy extended mags. It is used around the world by military and police. I feel a gun with all these features (DA/SA, safety and decocker) is important because it offers various carrying options for various situations. It is one of the best handguns on the planet. Sig P226 is the best handgun on the planet, but costs a lot. The Seals use this gun. You can get the Sig P226 in .40 too. The Sig is a metal gun with no safety. This is a full size pistol though. Sig offers compact versions too, but once again it will cost money. I own both and will post a picture for you in a little bit. I have the pics on my IPAD.

Old 03-19-2013, 11:10 PM   #20

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Thanks this will help a lot in our search for a handgun I really like the hnk usp but it is all up to what she wants to carry