Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   home defense: 12ga or 20ga? (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/home-defense-12ga-20ga-74707/)

Ray_Ray 10-20-2012 12:23 PM

home defense: 12ga or 20ga?

What is yalls opinion of shotgun gauge? I'm about to buy one and I'm thinking about the mossberg 500 12 gauge?

JTJ 10-20-2012 02:03 PM

Who is going to be using it? My wife is small and wont touch my 12 gauge but will shoot the 20 gauge. 9 pellet 00 buck loads are available for 20 gauge.

HOSSFLY 10-20-2012 02:18 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray_Ray (Post 983324)
What is yalls opinion of shotgun gauge? I'm about to buy one and I'm thinking about the mossberg 500 12 gauge?

Best scattergun for the money IMO- NEVER had one fail ;)
If the wife don't like the 12 get her a 20- Ain't like they can't be had for under $200 :)

rhyno13 10-20-2012 02:34 PM

Either one will do the job. I have a 12 guage, but I would have a 20 guage for the wife/gf

HockaLouis 10-20-2012 02:42 PM

1 Attachment(s)
Hoss, r u putting on that "accent"? Country wisdom is shining thru either way!

The 12 ga. is more powerful/efficient in throwing more lead. Beside being a handier feeling gun usually, a 20 ga. is addequate, and w/3" shells can even approximate a regular 12 ga. shell. The only reason I might want only the 20 if that's what the lady/kids would prefer (and they clearly would) is confusing different ga. shells. And wouldn't u feel silly running out of one when u want or need them and having plenty of the other on hand?

I'd rather get one gun (or even two) and have his and her SHELLS. SOmeone may not want to spend the extra money getting the longer, bigger pellet, 20 ga. shells but they're less expensive than another shotgun.

This one can also be used for sport and hunting...

HOSSFLY 10-20-2012 03:03 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis (Post 983418)
Quote:

Hoss, r u putting on that "accent"? Country wisdom is shining thru either way!

The 12 ga. is more powerful/efficient in throwing more lead. Beside being a handier feeling gun usually, a 20 ga. is addequate, and w/3" shells can even approximate a regular 12 ga. shell. The only reason I might want only the 20 if that's what the lady/kids would prefer (and they clearly would) is confusing different ga. shells. And wouldn't u feel silly running out of one when u want or need them and having plenty of the other on hand?

I'd rather get one gun (or even two) and have his and her SHELLS. SOmeone may not want to spend the extra money getting the longer, bigger pellet, 20 ga. shells but they're less expensive than another shotgun.

This one can also be used for sport and hunting...

Cant help it- I type same way i talk :p

Underdog 10-20-2012 03:10 PM

I find the 20ga much more effecient as a HD weapon. It's easier to handle and follow up shots can be done quicker if need be. My wife also handles and shoots the 20ga way better than a 12ga. Get whatever makes you and the family more comfortable and practice with it and learn how to use it.

pauly62 10-20-2012 03:38 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Ray_Ray

I have a 870 20gage 20 inch barrel very handy

lukeisme 10-20-2012 03:55 PM

In my house we use a 12 ga for primary hd. My wife and boys the smallest weighing just under 90 pounds seem to handle it just fine. Recoil for the most part is in the shooters mind. Some people think a .223 has a kick. Getting back on target for the most part is stance and being ready for the shot. At least that is what I have found. Being used to the firearm is the biggest key to anything from function to fire. IMHO.

chuckusaret 10-20-2012 04:43 PM

IMO, everyone has one, the Mossberg 500 is the way to go, cheap and very reliable. I have several but use a 12 ga. Persuader with a 20" barrel and extended magazine for HD. Everything is this world has an opportunity cost and recoil is one. Practice overcomes the felt recoil and barrel rise.