Home Defence
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Home Defence

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-17-2009, 02:28 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Home Defence

I just got my Remington 11-87 working again. Its going to be the weopan I use for home defence. I am just wondering what I should use with it. The local gun store has a few exotic loads I was looking at, but I ended up buying "Rhodesian Jungle" rounds- the front half is loaded with #8 birdshot, followed by six 00 Buck pellets.
I know that in the trailer I live in, anything from a 12 gauge will ruin someones night, but I want to make SURE he doesn't end up trying to sue me.

Also, I have seen a lot of accesories for 870's, will they fit on my 11-87?
A third question: The only choke I have is a "modified", is there anything I shouldn't shoot out of it, and if so, what choke tube do I need to buy?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 09-17-2009, 03:22 AM   #2

Liked 415 Times on 259 Posts
Likes Given: 1215

i use standard #8's with these they may penetrate one wall but not likely a second wall.and they still have stopping power in close quarters like a house or trailer.

Old 09-17-2009, 04:56 AM   #3

I keep my home defense shotgun (870 Police) loaded with 00 Buck.
As far as what choke to use, a modified choke is a great universal choke.
In a home defense setting there's not enough area for spread. Probably even the wadding will have to be pulled out of the BG.

Old 09-17-2009, 07:32 AM   #4

Both the Saiga 12 and the Mossberg 500a are loaded with #4 buck for the indoors and OO buck for the outside.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 09-17-2009, 10:27 AM   #5
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 8885 Times on 3847 Posts
Likes Given: 1391

OK- couple of things-

First run a google search for box of truth. Gents has done multiple range tests on penetration of building materials by different weapons.

Shotgun? Buckshot. At a range of 2 ft, anything can be lethal, but birdshot just does not have a "per pellet" mass to penetrate deeply.

Exotic loads? Well, my FIRST priority is to stop bad guy OR bad critter right there. Second priority is NOT to be sitting in court with a zealous prosecutor OR a zealous personal injury lawyer waving a shotgun that looks like something from a terminator movies, or pointing to a 4'x8' blowup for an ad for "Dragon's Breath" ammo, and claiming that injuries bad guy is sporting is due to my sophisticated sadistic planning to cause the most horrible injury possible.

Mine looks like a deer gun- or bird gun. Ammo is the same used by local sheriff. If a lawyer is ever asking why I chose THAT ammo, answer will be "Because it is the same ammo those folks use" (pointing at the deputy standing duty as court bailiff).

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 09-17-2009, 11:46 AM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by c3shooter View Post
OK- couple of things-

First run a google search for box of truth. Gents has done multiple range tests on penetration of building materials by different weapons.

Shotgun? Buckshot. At a range of 2 ft, anything can be lethal, but birdshot just does not have a "per pellet" mass to penetrate deeply.

Exotic loads? Well, my FIRST priority is to stop bad guy OR bad critter right there. Second priority is NOT to be sitting in court with a zealous prosecutor OR a zealous personal injury lawyer waving a shotgun that looks like something from a terminator movies, or pointing to a 4'x8' blowup for an ad for "Dragon's Breath" ammo, and claiming that injuries bad guy is sporting is due to my sophisticated sadistic planning to cause the most horrible injury possible.

Mine looks like a deer gun- or bird gun. Ammo is the same used by local sheriff. If a lawyer is ever asking why I chose THAT ammo, answer will be "Because it is the same ammo those folks use" (pointing at the deputy standing duty as court bailiff).
There it is, simple and plain and I do not have to type a bunch to say exactly the same thing. Thanks C3.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 09-21-2009, 04:30 AM   #7

Box o' truth is good stuff,.........

Old 09-26-2009, 03:08 AM   #8

Just go with a good short barrel and 00 or 000 buck. You just can't go wrong.