Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Home def recomendations for mom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2010, 12:01 AM   #21
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

trust me, they are awesome! I had one before the tragic accident that took all my worldly possessions from me and they are great! it takes all the accessories a remington 870 will except for barrels and some stocks that go over the receiver. recoil is VERY manageable and they're super super solid. the finish on them could be better but I can't complain too bad with the price being what it is. It was 219+tax and about 250 total out the door. It is heavy though so I'd def reccommend a sling.

Old 04-29-2010, 03:58 AM   #22

I like my 12ga more than my 20ga. and I'm not a giant. Size and strength/motivation/ability aren't always linked. Let your mom make her own choices, give her the tools with which to make them.

Old 04-29-2010, 10:02 AM   #23

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

What weapons do you have acess to? Take her shooting and let her try some pistols and a shotgun or two, then make a decision. If after all that, she's still sold on a shotgun I don't think I can add much to what CA357 has said. You may want to concider a double barrel since they are so easy to use but a pump wouldn't be a bad choice, I would stay clear of semi autos.

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 04-29-2010, 12:24 PM   #24
FAA licensed bugsmasher

Liked 1904 Times on 1041 Posts
Likes Given: 691

If I was looking for a shotgun for home defense, I'd seriously consider a coach gun such as this Stoeger.

I've always been a fan of break action shotguns over pumps or autos. You always can tell if there are rounds in the gun. And there is no better way to safe a shotgun than breaking it open. Plus, the short barrels on a coach gun are very easy to maneuver in a home.

The downside is you only have two rounds at any one time. For a scatter-gun, that isn't as big an issue, but still important.

Old 04-29-2010, 02:20 PM   #25

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

That is a nice looking double barrel!

Old 04-29-2010, 07:08 PM   #26

well spittin i have 3 12 gauges, a mossberburg 500 an old h&r and bolt action and a stoeger double barrel, pistol wise i have .45 colt which is about the extent of my hdf usable collection, i mean i also have my deer rifles and a .22 but i have a feeling my mom has no interst in sniping a home invader. haha

but scott coach guns which while look awesome and seem like the best idea (i got one for skeet and hdf for me) big big big problem of sometimes they just dont like to fire, when i took it shooting the rounds wouldnt go off the first time some of the times so id break it open, close it, and fire agian and then they would. I was using remmington and winchester target loads, brand new and they shot every time outta my mossberg fine that day so it wasnt the ammo. I looked online and apparently the way stoger makes the double trigger it can cause the firing pins to be set back and thus not work all the time which would be no good in a hdf situation.

Old 04-29-2010, 07:14 PM   #27
FAA licensed bugsmasher

Liked 1904 Times on 1041 Posts
Likes Given: 691

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxman895 View Post
but scott coach guns which while look awesome and seem like the best idea (i got one for skeet and hdf for me) big big big problem of sometimes they just dont like to fire

All recommendations assume your equipment will work as designed. Do not take any suggestions by this author as an authoritative statement of the reliability of particular brands of instruments.

(Sounds better when read aloud very quickly)

Old 04-30-2010, 05:30 AM   #28

In your quest to find the perfect shotgun for your momma, don't count out Mossberg's newest entry for 2010. The 510 Mini Super Bantam is designed for younger or smaller-statured shooters or anyone who wants a very compact shotgun- weight 5 pounds, barrel length 18.5 inches. The synthetic stock is adjustable for length of pull from 10.5 to 11.5 inches. It's chambered in .410 or 20 gauge only. MSRP: $364

Old 09-16-2010, 11:14 PM   #29

How about 410
I saw som personap pprotection loads the outher day 3 platted metal chunks and some large pellets I think by winchester

Old 09-16-2010, 11:21 PM   #30

How about 410
I saw som personap pprotection loads the outher day 3 platted metal chunks and some large pellets I think by winchester
it would be better with sompting she is not afrade of. And can shoot well thain sompting big usualy just a gun scares people enoughr to give up so
My protection gun is a 9mm just beacause I think the size its not as easy for someone to get ahold of it and can hid it closer to my bed I like my guns to much I also have a little kid in the house so can't keep a loaded shotgun in reach eather he can't axcess the 9 so were good for now