Home def recomendations for mom - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Home def recomendations for mom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2010, 12:31 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1905 Times on 1060 Posts
Likes Given: 1256

If you push her into getting a 12 gauge and she tries it out, She may not like shooting at all. A 20 may not have the knock down power of a 12, but at least she might practice more. Practice is the best thing she can do to gain confidence.

Romans 1:16 I am not ashamed of the gospel, because it is the power of God for the salvation of everyone who believes: first for the Jew, then for the Gentile.

Old 04-28-2010, 12:38 AM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1175 Times on 510 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

Inside a house or apartment, a 20 gauge will stop anything other than a rhino on crack. Believe me, 20 gauge is plenty with the right loads.

Your Mom is small. She'll be able to handle a 20 much better than a 12. Don't let your preferences get in the way. She'll likely practice with the 20ga., whereas the 12ga. will just beat her up and she won't want to shoot.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-28-2010, 12:56 AM   #13

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 766

amen to that CA357....The 20 gauge Buckhammer load has a MV of 1500 fps and ME of 2236 ft. lbs. The 100 yard figures are 995 fps and 1074 ft. lbs. sounds like an easy man stopper to me...within 20ft. or less a 20ga slug,buckshot,or birdshot will be way more then enough stopping power for a two legged crackhead!

Old 04-28-2010, 01:11 AM   #14
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1930 Times on 1369 Posts
Likes Given: 2183

Default Momma's Packing Heat

20 ga. pump desert storm camo, tactical grips, laser site, 2 rds 00, 3 rds of slugs. Mom, do dat sound good to you. Don't stop shooting till you hear CLICK. In da Swamp In La. Have a Nice Day!

Old 04-28-2010, 02:15 AM   #15

Liked 39 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 1

I will probably catch a little flack from this post but I feel I need to put this out to the forum as this thread is dealing with a mother and a shotgun.

My mother a couple of years ago moved into a mother-in-laws house right next to my brother in North Myrtle Beach, SC. Mom and my brother live in the country and are pretty isolated. My Mother wanted a gun to protect her self so she went out and bought a little 25 auto that would jam every time when you try to load it. I tried to get her to get a shotgun but she flatly refused.

Well, to make a long story short I gave her my Taurus 2 inch 38 and took her out to practice. She handled it pretty well but the more she talked and shot with me the more concerned I became. My Mom is 85 years old and her concentration is not the best. So now I’m in a dilemma as I want Mom to feel safe in her home but don’t want her to shoot my brother, his truck or family or friends stopping buy for a visit.

I solved the problem this way…… I loaded my Mom’s pistol and placed it in her night stand and told her “If you hear anything that is unusual you get the gun and fire two rounds wherever the sound is coming from, then you yell out that your going to kill the son of a bit*c and fire the other three rounds.” At the same time I told her to call the Sheriffs department and my brother. Now before you jump up and down and scream about shooting before seeing what you’re shooting at I want you to know that I loaded Mom’s gun with the blanks we use to train our police dogs with. They are a lot louder than normal blanks and make a hell of a sound. I figure if Mom is screaming she is going to kill the SOB and shooting the hell out of the house any bad guy is not going to hang around. Also I knew my brother would hear the blanks and come running with his backup.

I’m glad I did this as a few weeks later Mom heard something on the porch outside her bedroom window and did exactly what I told her to…. I think my brother is still trying to pull his underwear out of his butt and he is glad that they have sand around the porch because when she started shooting he did a flying leap over the rail and 8 feet down. I guess I forgot to tell him I loaded Mom's gun with blanks, oops.

This worked for us it may not work for y'all.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:25 AM   #16

I have a youth model rem 870 20 ga. and my old lady is about the same size as your mom and she loves it with a good recoil pad on it she says she can hardly feel a thing and if you want to get the pistol grip stock check with cheaper than dirt I got one from them for my 12 ga. and I am very pleased with it. ok just my 2 cents

Old 04-28-2010, 06:26 AM   #17

wellll thank goodness ca357 that they ran the cracked out rhionos out of wv a few years ago soooo it should be safe enough in the burbs for her to have a 20 gauge but im def going to shop around for a youth 20 gauge with a tactical stock and possibly a pump that has a flashlight in it..... let her go swat style. but dz just so you know.... your mother and my mother are slightly differnt by about ohh 30 years so hopefully she wont have the same problem your mom did because id really hate to get shot even by a 20 gauge i have a strange feeling that it just may ruin my day

Old 04-28-2010, 06:30 AM   #18

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

Quote:
Originally Posted by CA357 View Post
If she's firm on a shotgun, then go with a 20 gauge. Pistol grips aren't the best way to go. If you can find a pistol grip stock, that would be much better than the pistol grip alone.
A no more true statement can be made on this subject. The full stock with a pistol grip might aid some but the pistol grip only would not help at all.

Old 04-28-2010, 03:33 PM   #19

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by waxman895 View Post
ironically i was at dicks yesterday to and i was looking at not a remmington 870 but it has the same action with short stock and 20 in barrel? i unfortuantly cant remeber the name of it though, i liked it though but its only 219 soo i may have to go back for that and a youth remmington 20 gauge like you mentioned above, sounds like itd fit her perfectly
was the other gun a pardner pump? those are pretty heavy but I love em.

Old 04-28-2010, 10:22 PM   #20

yes thats exactly what it was! Thats why i liked it, it being nice and heavy itd have less recoil and it looks and feels like a pretty good home defense gun for me..... not that i need two of them but who has ever not wanted to get another gun?