Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Home def recomendations for mom

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-27-2010, 04:05 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Home def recomendations for mom

My mom is 5'4 and 135 lbs she's not a big woman and I finally convinced her to go to a ccw class where she decided she wants a shotgun instead of a pistol. I know to get her a heavier one but would putting pistol grips be better then a stock? Also keep in mind she's only shot twice now and still fears guns bc she doesnt know how to use them but because of our lovely gov't she wants to learn how to defend her home any help would be appreciated thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 04-27-2010, 04:15 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1173 Times on 509 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

If she's firm on a shotgun, then go with a 20 gauge. Pistol grips aren't the best way to go. If you can find a pistol grip stock, that would be much better than the pistol grip alone.

“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 04-27-2010, 06:20 PM   #3

Liked 143 Times on 83 Posts
Likes Given: 764

+1 to what CA357 said...also another good thing for her or both of you to do is get as much range time ya can together...a great way for mom-n-son bonding time...let her get use to recoil,shot placment on targets,control,safty,load,unload,ect...familiariz e her with what ever shotgun you or she chooses and wouldnt hurt to show her how to break down,clean the firearm...i was in the same boat as to showing my mother how to shoot her 38spl. snubbie i gave her...of course she did pretty good...but when it came time to let her try and reload the revolver,she didnt have a clue...of course now she does and she likes her HKS speed loaders

Old 04-27-2010, 07:13 PM   #4

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

I second and third the above statements. If she is that little, maybe a youth model 20 ga with recoil pad. And for goodness sakes, get her into a safety class. She might even enjoy shooting some clays as that is a really fun way to get shooting time in and destroying stuff.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 04-27-2010, 07:28 PM   #5

Liked 665 Times on 456 Posts
Likes Given: 670

Yep, a 20ga will work fine. There is alot to be said for a load of #5 lead at 0 to 35 yards.

Freedom is not free. The best of us always leave too soon.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:43 PM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1724 Times on 1246 Posts
Likes Given: 1967

Default Momma's Packing Heat......

Will that be Pump Or Semi auto?

Old 04-27-2010, 07:53 PM   #7

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

At the Dick's sporting goods in my area they have a very nice Youth/compact model Remington 870 20ga. with a wood stock and I believe a 20 inch barrel. I can't think of a better choice, honestly. It's beautiful and it'll get the job done.

Old 04-27-2010, 09:03 PM   #8

mommas packing heat i like that hahaha....... but alright ill look around for a pistol stock grip i just thought since shes older if i could get her pistol grips on the pump and the stock it would not hurt her shoulder, that and itd be a bamf gun.
but im definatly getting her a pump because as she said, usually the cachug of jacking in a round will stop most any guy cold in his tracks. I would love to take her to the range and teach her how to shoot, ive been shooting for over 8 years, i started with the hunters safety course and i just completed my ccw training(i cant apply for my permit till im 21 in 6 months though) so i could teach her how to strip it, clean it, load it, shoot it, be safe with it. She doesnt have time to take aformal class but i still have all my reading material on gun safety which i could get her to read. it would be some good bonding time though!
is 20 gauge really good for home defense? my motto is bigger is usally better, thus i have my 12 gauge mossberg, then agian im 6ft and 200 lbs haha and last ironically i was at dicks yesterday to and i was looking at not a remmington 870 but it has the same action with short stock and 20 in barrel? i unfortuantly cant remeber the name of it though, i liked it though but its only 219 soo i may have to go back for that and a youth remmington 20 gauge like you mentioned above, sounds like itd fit her perfectly

Old 04-27-2010, 09:05 PM   #9

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo and btw thank yall very very much haha

Old 04-28-2010, 12:04 AM   #10

Def. 20 gauge try and go tactical stock. Best of both worlds.