Firearm & Gun Forum -

Firearm & Gun Forum - (
-   General Shotgun Discussion (
-   -   Home def recomendations for mom (

waxman895 04-27-2010 04:05 PM

Home def recomendations for mom
My mom is 5'4 and 135 lbs she's not a big woman and I finally convinced her to go to a ccw class where she decided she wants a shotgun instead of a pistol. I know to get her a heavier one but would putting pistol grips be better then a stock? Also keep in mind she's only shot twice now and still fears guns bc she doesnt know how to use them but because of our lovely gov't she wants to learn how to defend her home any help would be appreciated thanks

CA357 04-27-2010 04:15 PM

If she's firm on a shotgun, then go with a 20 gauge. Pistol grips aren't the best way to go. If you can find a pistol grip stock, that would be much better than the pistol grip alone.

m72law 04-27-2010 06:20 PM

+1 to what CA357 said...also another good thing for her or both of you to do is get as much range time ya can together...a great way for mom-n-son bonding time:)...let her get use to recoil,shot placment on targets,control,safty,load,unload,ect...familiariz e her with what ever shotgun you or she chooses and wouldnt hurt to show her how to break down,clean the firearm...;)i was in the same boat as to showing my mother how to shoot her 38spl. snubbie i gave her...of course she did pretty good...but when it came time to let her try and reload the revolver,she didnt have a clue...of course now she does and she likes her HKS speed loaders:D

skullcrusher 04-27-2010 07:13 PM

I second and third the above statements. If she is that little, maybe a youth model 20 ga with recoil pad. And for goodness sakes, get her into a safety class. She might even enjoy shooting some clays as that is a really fun way to get shooting time in and destroying stuff. :D

jpattersonnh 04-27-2010 07:28 PM

Yep, a 20ga will work fine. There is alot to be said for a load of #5 lead at 0 to 35 yards.

willshoum 04-27-2010 07:43 PM

Momma's Packing Heat......
Will that be Pump Or Semi auto? :)

ta1588 04-27-2010 07:53 PM

At the Dick's sporting goods in my area they have a very nice Youth/compact model Remington 870 20ga. with a wood stock and I believe a 20 inch barrel. I can't think of a better choice, honestly. It's beautiful and it'll get the job done.

waxman895 04-27-2010 09:03 PM

mommas packing heat i like that hahaha....... but alright ill look around for a pistol stock grip i just thought since shes older if i could get her pistol grips on the pump and the stock it would not hurt her shoulder, that and itd be a bamf gun.
but im definatly getting her a pump because as she said, usually the cachug of jacking in a round will stop most any guy cold in his tracks. I would love to take her to the range and teach her how to shoot, ive been shooting for over 8 years, i started with the hunters safety course and i just completed my ccw training(i cant apply for my permit till im 21 in 6 months though) so i could teach her how to strip it, clean it, load it, shoot it, be safe with it. She doesnt have time to take aformal class but i still have all my reading material on gun safety which i could get her to read. it would be some good bonding time though!
is 20 gauge really good for home defense? my motto is bigger is usally better, thus i have my 12 gauge mossberg, then agian im 6ft and 200 lbs haha and last ironically i was at dicks yesterday to and i was looking at not a remmington 870 but it has the same action with short stock and 20 in barrel? i unfortuantly cant remeber the name of it though, i liked it though but its only 219 soo i may have to go back for that and a youth remmington 20 gauge like you mentioned above, sounds like itd fit her perfectly

waxman895 04-27-2010 09:05 PM

ooooooooooooooooooooooooooo and btw thank yall very very much haha

Uchahi 04-28-2010 12:04 AM

Def. 20 gauge try and go tactical stock. Best of both worlds.