Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > high quality chokes?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-13-2014, 04:56 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 2

Default high quality chokes?

i think ive decided i'll be buying an improved cylinder choke for my new shotgun...

i own shotguns, but only home defense stuff, nothing with a choke...

what are some good brand name i should look for that make high quality stuff..

i want a good choke and dont mind spending a few extra bucks..

part of me questions if this is a stupid question..

i do realize its just a piece of metal...i just want it to come from a company with a good reputation for making things like this..thanks

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-13-2014, 05:26 AM   #2

oh..also

how universal are chokes?

i have a remington 870 super magnum (12 gague)

will any choke wor for it or will i have to find one with the right thread, etc?

and what choke would you recommend if i dont have to worry about what ammo im shooting..?
like, is there a choke that wont care if im shooting steel, lead, tungsten, copper, etc.

Last edited by icallshotgun88; 02-13-2014 at 05:44 AM.

Old 02-13-2014, 07:36 AM   #3

Liked 119 Times on 91 Posts

You can spend a lot of money on choke tubes, but in my experience RemChokes, Browning Invectors, Berettas, Trulocks, Colonials, Carlsons, and Brileys all do exactly what they are supposed to do. If you believe in snake oil, you will certainly want to look at Mullers and some of the fancy name ones; High Flyer, Jelly Head, etc. And when someone tells you some great thing their expensive choke did, how does anyone know the same would not have occurred with another choke? I have shot a ton of patterns coming to this conclusion.

What could have happened... did.

Gatoragn Likes This 
Old 02-14-2014, 03:41 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
You can spend a lot of money on choke tubes, but in my experience RemChokes, Browning Invectors, Berettas, Trulocks, Colonials, Carlsons, and Brileys all do exactly what they are supposed to do. If you believe in snake oil, you will certainly want to look at Mullers and some of the fancy name ones; High Flyer, Jelly Head, etc. And when someone tells you some great thing their expensive choke did, how does anyone know the same would not have occurred with another choke? I have shot a ton of patterns coming to this conclusion.
what is this snake oil you speak of? mullers? high flyer? etc...

is that the grease you put on the threads before the choke goes on?

Old 02-14-2014, 10:05 AM   #5
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
what is this snake oil you speak of? mullers? high flyer? etc...

is that the grease you put on the threads before the choke goes on?
Aftermarket chokes are not going to do anything better than the set of chokes that came with your gun. You will see more improvement in your patterns with better ammo. Most of the snake oil pitches are not apple to apple comparisons.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Last edited by John_Deer; 02-14-2014 at 10:08 AM.

Old 02-14-2014, 10:18 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2513 Times on 1471 Posts
Likes Given: 1389

My recommendation is to just use the Rem-choke tubes in you 870.

If recoil is challenging for you, then a ported tube may help, but a miss is a miss and a hit is a hit, no matter how much you spent on choke tubes.

I didn't read every word in prior posts, but choke tubes are not universal, they are very specific in thread length and cut.

Sent from my (_E=MC² _)

We do not choose our future, we choose our habits and our habits dictate our future. - anonymous

Old 02-14-2014, 03:27 PM   #7
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1384 Times on 939 Posts
Likes Given: 474

I have a ported barrel on my slug gun. The ported barrel does nothing for recoil and the ports mark any tree I prop my gun on to steady my aim. Any poacher can find my stands by looking for trees with a burn mark on them.

Nothing in the affairs of men is worthy of great anxiety - Plato

Old 02-14-2014, 08:58 PM   #8

Liked 46 Times on 38 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by icallshotgun88 View Post
oh..also

how universal are chokes?

i have a remington 870 super magnum (12 gague)

will any choke wor for it or will i have to find one with the right thread, etc?

and what choke would you recommend if i dont have to worry about what ammo im shooting..?
like, is there a choke that wont care if im shooting steel, lead, tungsten, copper, etc.
I use Carlson choke tubes... if you use a choke for steel shot you can shoot anything thru it ...

More people armed, less crime...
Less people armed, more crime...
you can't have both!! ( Ted Nugent)

Old 02-14-2014, 09:27 PM   #9
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 242 Times on 187 Posts
Likes Given: 91

All choke tubes are not created equal and I have known some good shooters who swear by their particular brand or version as Briley makes bo-cu of them.

Problem - every gun is different and finding the right load/choke can be frustrating. I had a Browning that patterned best w the Invectors that it came with, of course, I found that out after buying a few aftermarket chokes.

My Beretta has a ported Rhino skeet choke which does not pattern well with the cheap stuff. Briley says porting your choke will result in 5% less recoil. Can you feel 5% ? It just makes it a PIA to clean.

First - Pattern Boards are your best friends - if it's not broke, don't fix it.

PS: What are you buying it for ? Skeet, Trap, Sporting Clays - it makes a difference. Example - I know a guy who swears by Briley's Dispersion choke for skeet. He hits everything around the stake but if you are slower and hit the birds farther out, it's not the choke for you.

PS#2 - Why don't you PM Bobski and see if he has any slots open ? He has more guns than most museums and you can try all manner of guns, chokes and see which is right for you. Great way to learn just how versitile a shotgun can be.

Trick: If you have a fixed skeet choke and need to reach out farther, drop down a shot size or two. Larger shot carries farther.

Last edited by Gonzilla; 02-14-2014 at 09:43 PM.
Axxe55 Likes This