High end vs low end shotguns? - Page 6
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > High end vs low end shotguns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-10-2013, 07:13 AM   #51
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 37 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 24

[QUOTE=cottontop;1170339]Along with guns, I also collect watches. For what it's worth, I have a very expensive Rolex in my collection and I do wear it occasionally. But, I also find myself wearing a $20 Casio or Timex at times. They are all accurate and one will keep time as well as the other, but they all have their place depending on the situation. When going to the range, I always wear one of my less expensive quartz watches. I play an expensive Taylor guitar. I also have a cheaper Alvarez I use as a beater and the difference in tone and playability between the Taylor and the Alvarez is enormous. There is just no comparison.
.................................................. .................................................. ....
Sounds like you have some expensive stuff, if you were " Supporting Member", you could play your Taylor guitar in the Bunker and we could compliment you on your music .

Old 03-10-2013, 05:05 PM   #52

Default member?

[quote=blindshooter;1170650]

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
Along with guns, I also collect watches. For what it's worth, I have a very expensive Rolex in my collection and I do wear it occasionally. But, I also find myself wearing a $20 Casio or Timex at times. They are all accurate and one will keep time as well as the other, but they all have their place depending on the situation. When going to the range, I always wear one of my less expensive quartz watches. I play an expensive Taylor guitar. I also have a cheaper Alvarez I use as a beater and the difference in tone and playability between the Taylor and the Alvarez is enormous. There is just no comparison.
.................................................. .................................................. ....
Sounds like you have some expensive stuff, if you were " Supporting Member", you could play your Taylor guitar in the Bunker and we could compliment you on your music .

I don't think anybody on this forum would want me as a supporting member as my political views are so much different than everyone else's. What happens if I get banned? I've come pretty close a couple of times. Do I get my money back? I like what Groucho Marx said, "I don't think I want to belong to any club that would have someone like me as a member."
ct

Old 03-10-2013, 05:18 PM   #53

Liked 37 Times on 24 Posts
Likes Given: 24

Is 20 bucks going to ruin you.
I'll loan you 20 bucks on your Rolex and won't charge you any interest, you just pay back the 20 bucks and I'll return your Rolex and you're a member for a whole year and can play in the Bunker 24/7.

Old 03-10-2013, 05:34 PM   #54

Default loan

Quote:
Originally Posted by blindshooter View Post
Is 20 bucks going to ruin you.
I'll loan you 20 bucks on your Rolex and won't charge you any interest, you just pay back the 20 bucks and I'll return your Rolex and you're a member for a whole year and can play in the Bunker 24/7.

That sounds like a good deal. Let me think about it for a while.
ct

Old 03-10-2013, 06:41 PM   #55

Liked 192 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 315

I don't know how many times I have been in a debate over this lol. First off...Consumerism and Capitalism...There are many shotguns out there and they are all made pretty differently and there are many people buying them for different reasons.

If you're going to maybe shoot a couple hundred clays a year, sure, get a cheap shotgun....it will do the job. But if you are going to shoot at least 500 clays a month COMPETITIVELY....get a gun made to handle it. I am confident when I walk on the pad that my $3,500 Zoli is going to go bang no matter what ammo is in it.

That being said, I started shooting with a Browning B-2000, basically a gas-op A-5. It didn't like low brass target loads and in a competition you only get 3 malfunctions before you lose birds for it. Then I got a Browing 425. Loved it. best $1,500 I ever spent. It was heavy and kind of bulky and didn't fit me all that well, but I love Browning. After a while I grew out of it and was unable to mount it correctly.

My coach is a Zoli dealer and helped get me a deal. I picked up the gun and it was light and fit me perfectly...so I bought it.

Fit is above finish, but if the extra few bucks gets you there...spend em.

You also bring in quality...we all know about tolerances right? Well, believe it or not, O/U barrels are not 100% parallel and lined up. Patterning at range you can sometimes see that while one barrel points straight, the other may be off the right a bit. Well, at range and shooting a moving target, that can throw you off.

My collection minus a few...

1.jpg  

Old 03-10-2013, 08:29 PM   #56

That's a nice looking Model 12 at the bottom. Tell us about it.
ct

Old 03-11-2013, 01:28 AM   #57

Liked 192 Times on 134 Posts
Likes Given: 315

Quote:
Originally Posted by cottontop View Post
That's a nice looking Model 12 at the bottom. Tell us about it.
ct
Well, my dad is a gun guy and when he found out my mom was pregnant with me he went out and bought two guns just in case he had a boy. One was a 12ga. Browning B-2000 and the other was that model 12...It's Browning made, 20ga.

Well, about 9 years ago when I was 12 I came home asking to go to this youth shooting group that my friends had told me about in school...He looked real happy and went back to his room and brought out two gun cases and showed em to me.

I ended up taking the B-2000 and a year later when my brother got into it as well, we gave him the Model 12 even though it was technically mine as well...we kinda just both share the mod 12 and the b-2000.

He shot that model 12 for 3 years and his team took the first place in the NY State Sporting Clays shoot with it earning him the name "Pump 'n' Shuck."

Now it's a safe dweller that he only pulls out when we go pheasant hunting.

Old 03-12-2013, 02:07 AM   #58

Liked 80 Times on 67 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker
I was wondering, what is the difference in an old $300 sxs that works perfectly fine, and a $100,000 Purdey that other then it's looks and price, seems pretty simular. Isn't a shotgun a shotgun? There is no rifleing, the ammo is the same, but yet there is a huge difference in price. Is it just a status symbol and a waste of money ($100,000 could buy a lot of guns )?
I've only held a 6 figure gun once in my life, and it was magical. There is just something special about them. No they aren't rifled or more accurate, but they are made with the best steel and wood available, fit perfectly, are made by hand, and are usually beautifully hand engraved. Yes I think they are a waste of money for "every day people", but I think of the 100,000 shotguns more as an artwork than a hunting tool. Just my two cents.
Old 03-15-2013, 05:27 PM   #59
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6576 Times on 3663 Posts
Likes Given: 6225

[QUOTE=Virginian;725841 Of late, I seem to sense an increased hostility towards the high end shooters from the lower end shooters. Occupy Clays?[/QUOTE]

Of course. Those who shoot "K-Mart Blue Light Specials" will always resent those who choose quality weapons.

War is the continuation of politics by other means.
Carl von Clausewitz
V
The best argument against democracy is a five-minute conversation with the average voter.
Winston Churchill

Old 03-16-2013, 12:22 AM   #60
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21996 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by locutus View Post
Of course. Those who shoot "K-Mart Blue Light Specials" will always resent those who choose quality weapons.
i have seen if come from both sides myself.

those who can afford higher end firearms, looking down their noses at those who can't, thinking that because they can afford a much higher end firearm they were better than those who couldn't.

then those who can't afford a higher end firearm, try to ridicule those who can. more than likely because of envy, and they wished they could afford much better.

IMO, both these groups of people are snobs. personally i have no use for either. buy and shoot what you can afford and don't envy or act like you're better, because of what you can afford. respect anothers choice, and respect other shooters.