High end vs low end shotguns? - Page 4
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > High end vs low end shotguns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-03-2012, 07:04 PM   #31
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1652 Times on 986 Posts
Likes Given: 361

To me guns are tools.

I am a plumber and I buy top of the line tools to work with. I have never had a good pipe wrench engraved and gold inlaid, and I don't own any that I would need to handle with white linen gloves.

"It is better to be too skeptical then too credulous"

Carl Sagan

Old 03-03-2012, 07:52 PM   #32
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 283 Times on 218 Posts
Likes Given: 127

I understand exactly what chain fire is saying BUT I'm sure there are high end or quality plumbing tools and low end. Both do the same job and those of us who may use it once or twice per year will not be able to rationalize spending $$$ for quality or commercial grade tools.

A gun store pays about 50 cents on the dollar for lower end used guns. Higher end guns ( X > $2,500) simply hold there value and some even appreciate.

If you really want to compete or just like to shoot a lot, then please don't go cheap on your o/u or SxS. Competition guns are just built better to take the daily use and abuse and not just pass it on to the shooter.

A hunter may shoot a case or two a season while a skeet competitor will go through a case a week.

Old 03-09-2013, 08:03 AM   #33

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

new guy here. I too have the cheapest field grade Citori-2 of them-and they do just fine. I also have 2 Perazzi target guns which are highly regarded and cost into the upper teens in terms of price. Most of the high grade English shotguns are "bespoke shoguns" which means totally custom with a high degree of customer involvement in the process-selecting wood,engraving,and so on. Are they that much better?? Afraid so. They are perfectly fitted,they close like a bank vault and are truly objects of beauty. Typically they fit better and shoot better as gun fitting is a big issue with shotguns. If status is an issue-that depends on the owner. Best wood and metals. Hundreds of man hours in engraving and wood to metal fitting They will shoot thousands of rounds with minimal or no service issues. But way out of my league I am afraid. Shoot one if the chance ever presents itself. I shot a Purdey recently which belongs to a buddy and it pretty much ruined me.Now, If I can just get a 2nd mortgage on my house.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:07 AM   #34
Big TOW
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 6931 Times on 3484 Posts
Likes Given: 7518

The choice that matters is good quality "safe" Vs Poor Quality "Dangerous". All the inlays in the world wont make a difference the day you pull the trigger and want the target to fall and not blow your own arms off. Pretty Guns are pretty nice but most folks cant afford lots of sexy weapons, they can likely afford a 20 year old Ithaca that does the job just as well as a 10K Custom Jobber.

Most of the base of Hunters, Shooters and Self defenders over the centuries have come from real world needs not collectors. The only real collector piece I ever had I sold (my moniker) cause Id rather have running cars, a warm home and a healthy family than an $18K piece of steel in the safe!

Old 03-09-2013, 11:26 AM   #35
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3863 Times on 2306 Posts
Likes Given: 3233

High end shotguns worth tens of thousands of dollars are made for sport and hunting by people who like to show off their wealth. These guns are heirlooms. For an Olympian, it is a tool. I live in a country where many hunting rifles and shotguns cost more than a car. I have shot these longarms, and
can honestly say I see no difference between high cost and the lower cost quality guns. High cost are just really pretty to look at.

Old 03-09-2013, 11:36 AM   #36

Liked 32 Times on 27 Posts
Likes Given: 16

Didn't read all the replys so excuse if it's been mentioned....duh.

Do you know anything about wood?Seriously......have you ever priced out a "blank" of AAA+ or better chunk of _____ (fill in the species)?

I've seen stock blanks that were,"on sale",fetching near $10K....that is just a blank.Whether one see's it as being "worth" anything is almost beside the point.IOW's there IS a mrkt for say,just the wood in this case....and it gets bought/traded everyday.If it is not what you're looking for fine,but that dosen't mean there aren't folks that do see the value.Not to mention the craftsman who massage it into a stock.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:20 PM   #37
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

high end vs. low end shotguns, is like comparing a Chevy Chevette to a Rolls Royce. sure both will get you to the same place, yes both do the same thing. but, there is the difference in materials used, the attention to detail and the difference in craftsmanship.

until you have held a $50,000 shotgun in your hands, it's really hard to understand the difference. the level of quality, the attention to detail, a shotgun fitted to the person, the finely crafted wood and metalwork.

many of the truly top shelf, high end shotguns are pretty much still handmade by a craftsman, who might spend as long as year making that shotgun. time is money.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:28 PM   #38
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
high end vs. low end shotguns, is like comparing a Chevy Chevette to a Rolls Royce. sure both will get you to the same place, yes both do the same thing. but, there is the difference in materials used, the attention to detail and the difference in craftsmanship.

until you have held a $50,000 shotgun in your hands, it's really hard to understand the difference. the level of quality, the attention to detail, a shotgun fitted to the person, the finely crafted wood and metalwork.

many of the truly top shelf, high end shotguns are pretty much still handmade by a craftsman, who might spend as long as year making that shotgun. time is money.
Never seen a 50,000 dollar model. But this one at my local hunting store is half of that...
http://www.frankonia.de/199404/127436/productdetail.html?pagingSize=32&sortOption=f_n_so rtmatrix_70_30_30_30&page=3&displayType=gallery&ar ticleNumber=137288&navCategoryId=6750
Old 03-09-2013, 01:34 PM   #39
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 21997 Times on 12402 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jagermeister View Post
sorry my currency convertor is broken! nice looking shotgun though!

i have seen and held a few $50,000 plus shotguns. there is huge difference in the quality, vs. a $500 or even a $2500 shotgun. like i said, until a person has held one, it's hard to understand that difference.

Old 03-09-2013, 01:45 PM   #40
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

It is not very good right now. Right now the dollar buys .74 euros. So, 26 percent more in dollars. I get paid in dollars. I have some hunting friends with wealth or heirlooms. You ought to see German Drillings. They are beyond beautiful. You can find them on the site with a little exploration. I have fired some very expensive guns, but my lower cost high quality rifle is´still does the job. Plus, I would be too damn scared to take an expensive gun into the woods. Germany is very moist and the environment can be punishing to the firearms. I can still admire the beauty of the guns. My friend went to an Austrian gunsmith school. To graduate, they give you quality materials, and you have to build a rifle from scratch. Can't do that on a web based gunsmithing class.