High end vs low end shotguns? - Page 3
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > High end vs low end shotguns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 01:40 PM   #21
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6578 Times on 3639 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

Quote:
Originally Posted by northhike View Post
The real consideration though is what you are going to do with the gun and what matters to you in terms of feel, style and looks. Guns are like woman...some prefer beautiful and maintenance and others like cheap and easy.
I'm more into the cute tomboy women who could easily get dressed up to go out, but would perfer to do something like hunting, shooting, or something else outdoors. What kind of gun would THAT be?

Old 03-02-2012, 02:24 PM   #22
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2823 Times on 1833 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by northhike

You know the only thing I will add that hasn't already been covered is "feel" of the gun which could come back to accuracy. I can tell you that I have both owned and shot a bunch of shotguns in different price points and the feel of the gun and finish once you get to $1000+ is quite different. Actions are smoother, breaks (O/U and Doubles) are easier, metals used can be stronger and often they are less prone to problems. Overall the quality of the gun is better which adds to its longevity.

The real consideration though is what you are going to do with the gun and what matters to you in terms of feel, style and looks. Guns are like woman...some prefer beautiful and maintenance and others like cheap and easy.
Makes sense to me. Also, if a shotgun fits you better you can hit targets more accurately or faster. Some 2k$ guns have adjustable stocks, combs, etc. Backboring reduces recoil, right? Polished metal cleans easier. No, I don't have a high end shotgun, but a 100$ h&r single works real good.

Old 03-02-2012, 04:59 PM   #23

Liked 641 Times on 382 Posts
Likes Given: 2022

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dennis845
As far as a persons shooting ability, not allot of difference. I have the cheapest field grade Browning Citori o/u made. Some of the guys I shoot trap & skeet with have 3-5 thousand dollar trap / skeet guns. I shoot almost as well as they do with my entry level gun.

Now don't get me wrong! A quality made shotgun is a thing of beauty. The quality or the steel, the perfect fit, the beautiful stock and forearm, engraving. Come to think of it... Yea, I would shoot better with an expensive shotgun, now to convince the wife
I shoot trap with an old beat up wore out mossberg 500a that has probably seen 10000 rds. Last time I shot I hit a 21 out of 25. Just as good as my friends that shoot with $1000-$1500 guns.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:06 PM   #24
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by northhike View Post
You know the only thing I will add that hasn't already been covered is "feel" of the gun which could come back to accuracy. I can tell you that I have both owned and shot a bunch of shotguns in different price points and the feel of the gun and finish once you get to $1000+ is quite different. Actions are smoother, breaks (O/U and Doubles) are easier, metals used can be stronger and often they are less prone to problems. Overall the quality of the gun is better which adds to its longevity.

Quote:
Originally Posted by primer1 View Post
Makes sense to me. Also, if a shotgun fits you better you can hit targets more accurately or faster. Some 2k$ guns have adjustable stocks, combs, etc. Backboring reduces recoil, right? Polished metal cleans easier. No, I don't have a high end shotgun, but a 100$ h&r single works real good.
actually "feel" was covered in my post. handmade and custom fitted to the customer. sort of like when i said, custom tailored suit vs. off the rack. also when a shotgun is fitted to the person, everyone has a different build, so what fits one person won't fit another. so if the owner of that shotgun shoots very well with it, doesn't mean someone else can do as well with his shotgun because it's not fitted to them. some of these people who can afford these shotguns go to the gunmaker and have them measure for the fit and also adjust the fit during the build. so hence here is another cost that figures into the cost of the shotgun, air travel to England, Italy or Germany to be measured and fitted to the shotgun.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:12 PM   #25
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22306 Times on 12476 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptar19 View Post
I shoot trap with an old beat up wore out mossberg 500a that has probably seen 10000 rds. Last time I shot I hit a 21 out of 25. Just as good as my friends that shoot with $1000-$1500 guns.
the difference is status and people who can afford such shotguns aren't going to be drinking cognac and smoking $100 cuban cigars, and admiring your Mossberg. it's about status when you spend vast amounts of money on handcrafted elegance in a shotgun. you would have to hold and feel one in person to be able to truly understand the differences as even good pictures don't truly convey the quality that goes into making them.
cottontop Likes This 
Old 03-02-2012, 05:30 PM   #26

Liked 1414 Times on 844 Posts
Likes Given: 146

I am going to wade in buy saying, I buy the most value for my dollar. Take my cars for instance one is a 1990 ford 150 inline 6 300. I bought it 3 years ago for 1400.00 dollars. I see vehicles as transportation. The truck is very functional and mechanically sound. By having this vehicle I save hundreds of dollars a year in insurance and tag fees. I could go get any vehicle I fancied on credit, on a whim. I try to live well within my means, a lesson learned. As my commitments decrease I may or may not upgrade, I like the old truck.

Apply the above logic to my guns. Mossberg 590a1, maybe one day I will get a benelli sd shotgun, but the rest of my lifestyle will not suffer when I do.

For those people with the means to get the very best guns money can buy, more power to you. You or some family member in the past made good decisions with money. If you look down your nose at my truck or mossberg, it's all good, you will probably look down your nose at me as well. To each his own.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:19 PM   #27

I much prefer the high end guns.
cottontop

Old 03-03-2012, 12:39 AM   #28

Liked 23 Times on 19 Posts
Likes Given: 90

some of you just dont get it . in comp or recreational shooting 100 to 300 rounds a day a mid grade or best gun will beat you up less .perform better.and hold its resale value.and not break down(870 and 500 both need to be lubed 2 3 times if shooting doubles) .the important thing is to shoot what you have .improve and have fun!!!

Old 03-03-2012, 04:06 PM   #29

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

I agree 100% with tonydewar you can kill things with any gun but when you start to shoot a lot the higher dollar guns are going to perform better and kick less

Old 03-03-2012, 04:27 PM   #30

Liked 1617 Times on 945 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

There's a reason there are so many different gun makers. Because people like a lot of different types od weapons. I really like some of the high end firearms out there. But I have trouble justifying the cost, because I'm not in a position to afford them. I can get a couple decent weapons for what one higher end model will cost. And I like to shoot a lot of different firearms. But if I was able to afford theme I am pretty sure I would jump on them and have several. AS stated many are hand crafted and are as much art as they are functional.

It's kind of like why get a stainless weapon that will cost more than a blued or parked weapon. They shoot pretty much the same. If there wasn't a market for them they would not exist. But I'm really glad they do.