Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > High end vs low end shotguns?

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-02-2012, 02:36 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 14 Times on 13 Posts
Likes Given: 53

a high end gun will still shoot better than the shooter. but the fit finish and pride of ownership will make a differance in your score. if it dosnt sell it and buy another

Old 03-02-2012, 02:57 AM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts
Likes Given: 2

They sure look pretty thats for sure. I wouldn't care how I shoot, I would still feel good about shooting. And all I know is I would sure love to have a break open with walnut wed and custom engraving.

Remington 870 12 Ga. Supermag
Springfield XDS .45acp

Old 03-02-2012, 03:08 AM   #13

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Just another bunch of rich folk wasting the money instead of spreading the wealth around man. I propose we occupy FTF. We can use the power of rock n roll to change the world! We can all sing songs and collect our Obama money, man!

Wait, was this thing on?

Old 03-02-2012, 04:25 AM   #14

Liked 16788 Times on 9733 Posts
Likes Given: 43819

i think many of us would own much more expensive firearms if our incomes would allow it. i know i would. same with cars and with anything, we generally buy what our income allows. i don't fault anyone for spending a very large amount of money on a firearm, just so they don't act as if spending it makes them superior to me.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:02 AM   #15

Liked 236 Times on 183 Posts
Likes Given: 79

I go a wee bit more than the budget allows but would love to own a work of art one day.

If you want to see some eye candy, LL Bean has a 100 Yr Ann. SXS - $15,000.

Note: High end shotguns tend to hold their value better.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:22 AM   #16

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
Originally Posted by texaswoodworker View Post
I was wondering, what is the difference in an old $300 sxs that works perfectly fine, and a $100,000 Purdey that other then it's looks and price, seems pretty simular. Isn't a shotgun a shotgun? There is no rifleing, the ammo is the same, but yet there is a huge difference in price. Is it just a status symbol and a waste of money ($100,000 could buy a lot of guns )?
Waste of money is relative. For me spending $100k on a shotgun may seem nuts, but to another it is an accomplishment. We buy what makes us happy...or what we think makes us happy. Style is everything. Some of us are simple and some complex. For me I think an old side by side and six shooters would be great to own.....like buying a piece of history. Others could give a crap....if it shoots and launches ammo it's met all the criteria necessary. I have always appreciated good craftsmanship....and I might pay a bit more for that.

Old 03-02-2012, 05:47 AM   #17

Liked 19 Times on 18 Posts
Likes Given: 80

Quote:
Originally Posted by axxe55 View Post
one of the biggest differences is in the making of them. most production guns today are built by machines, hundreds at a time. a Purdey or some of the other high dollar shotguns are built one at a time ... if i had to venture a guess, probably not that big a difference. but the craftsmanship, the quality of the materials used to make it, and the fact that most are custom made to order, means a lot when it comes to a status symbol.
You pretty much hit it on the head. I've shot guns that range in price from less than $500 to $5,000 and actually got to shoot one in the $50,000+ range at a tournament once. Personally, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the $5,000 and the $50,000 gun when put side by side. Both were REALLY handsome, finely detailed firearms that got admiring stares whenever they were on display. However, they all used the same ammo, hit or miss their targets based on the SHOOTERS ability vs. anything intrinsic to a particular price range and were the same when it comes to kick/recoil. If you want admiring looks and the satisfaction of owning something made just for you, get a "custom" gun. If you want something that hits what you're pointing at and goes bang when you pull the trigger, get the $500 gun and spend some of the money you saved on lessons and practice ammo.

Old 03-02-2012, 06:40 AM   #18
I'm your huckleberry
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 6540 Times on 3633 Posts
Likes Given: 27929

So they are more of a status symbol then anything. I wouldn't mind owning one, but I don't really see myself ever spending more then $1000 on a shotgun. I didn't think there would be much of a difference function wise. At the end of the day, they shoot the same ammo, with pretty much the same degree of accuracy. I think for now, I'll stick to Savages, Stevens, Ithicas, and maybe a Browning.

Old 03-02-2012, 07:10 AM   #19

Liked 16788 Times on 9733 Posts
Likes Given: 43819

Quote:
Originally Posted by rachilders View Post
You pretty much hit it on the head. I've shot guns that range in price from less than $500 to $5,000 and actually got to shoot one in the $50,000+ range at a tournament once. Personally, I'd be hard pressed to tell the difference between the $5,000 and the $50,000 gun when put side by side. Both were REALLY handsome, finely detailed firearms that got admiring stares whenever they were on display. However, they all used the same ammo, hit or miss their targets based on the SHOOTERS ability vs. anything intrinsic to a particular price range and were the same when it comes to kick/recoil. If you want admiring looks and the satisfaction of owning something made just for you, get a "custom" gun. If you want something that hits what you're pointing at and goes bang when you pull the trigger, get the $500 gun and spend some of the money you saved on lessons and practice ammo.
Quote:
So they are more of a status symbol then anything. I wouldn't mind owning one, but I don't really see myself ever spending more then $1000 on a shotgun. I didn't think there would be much of a difference function wise. At the end of the day, they shoot the same ammo, with pretty much the same degree of accuracy. I think for now, I'll stick to Savages, Stevens, Ithicas, and maybe a Browning.
it is about status to some degree, and probably most people who have very expensive shotguns, probably started with a $500 shotgun in their past and have made a fortune and want the very best money can buy. IMO, there is nothing wrong with this, and like i said before, if we were in a higher income bracket, many of us would probably do the same. many of this type of shotgun are handmade, custom fitted to the customer and made to order. nothing off the shelf here. kind of like a tailor made suit vs. one off the rack at JCPenney. paying this kind of money pretty much establishes the fact there isn't another exactly like yours. pretty much one-off custom. the materials cost more than most of our shotguns put together and some of it very exotic. engraving and gold inlay, very expensive and handcrafted by artists. if i won a few million on the lottery, i would probably have a $25,000 plus shotgun too and a few other high dollar playtoys!

Old 03-02-2012, 12:27 PM   #20

Liked 31 Times on 22 Posts
Likes Given: 4

Quote:
You know the only thing I will add that hasn't already been covered is "feel" of the gun which could come back to accuracy. I can tell you that I have both owned and shot a bunch of shotguns in different price points and the feel of the gun and finish once you get to $1000+ is quite different. Actions are smoother, breaks (O/U and Doubles) are easier, metals used can be stronger and often they are less prone to problems. Overall the quality of the gun is better which adds to its longevity.

The real consideration though is what you are going to do with the gun and what matters to you in terms of feel, style and looks. Guns are like woman...some prefer beautiful and maintenance and others like cheap and easy.