Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Help with SxS

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-04-2011, 09:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help with SxS

I just took over as my police agencies armorer and found something in our armory that I need help with. I do not need the fact that it is not legal to own and so forth just help with ID. I have researched a few findings about the only company name Deeley & Edge located on the shotgun. I believe it to be 10gauge.

Now for the visible markings.
On both sides of the action just below the breach it has W.B. DANBY.( Internet search, resulted in a hunter from the early 20th century)

On the top rib between the barrels is THE SPECIAL CLUB GUN. No findings via internet on this.

Next is the forearm release latch. One side PATENT, the other DEELEY & EDGE.

Finally several markings on the underside of the barrels. Both barrels marked with some type of proofing (crossed arms type) and 12. Then on one barrel,
11B NOT FOR BALL. Last is a set of numbers between, 8105, possible serial.

This shotgun was in a box way in the back it appears someone did not care for the beauty. The barrels were cut off and the stock is broke. Any help would be much appreciated.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 10-04-2011, 10:46 PM   #2
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4462 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

that was likely a gun that was given as a club prize at some point. the Deeley & Edge is the type of action/lockwork that was used. im not sure the actual maker but its likely a remington of some sort. time period is likely early 1900's to mid 1930's. if it survived unbubbafied it would prolly be worth 900-1200$ depending on condition.

as it is now, its worthless. not really even worth the effort to recycle. firing it would be a very very bad idea.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-04-2011, 11:02 PM   #3

Thanks. I needed to enter manufacturer information and saw that Remington used the Deeley n Edge latch but just figured they would have marked it Remington. Anyways thanks again.

Old 10-04-2011, 11:53 PM   #4
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 4462 Times on 2355 Posts
Likes Given: 255

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckstactical View Post
Thanks. I needed to enter manufacturer information and saw that Remington used the Deeley n Edge latch but just figured they would have marked it Remington. Anyways thanks again.
not back then.

lots of makers would manufacture batches and would sell weapons to like sears and roebuck or in the case of yours to big clubs and stamp them with whatever markings the company wanted.

advertising on the product wasnt what it is today.

i dont know the exact model but im pretty certain its a remington of some sort.

"Gun control: The theory that a woman found dead in an alley, raped and strangled with her panty hose, is somehow morally superior to a woman explaining to police how her attacker got that fatal bullet wound." — L. Neil Smith

The problem with being stupid is you cannot simply decide to stop doing dumb things...

Old 10-26-2012, 04:33 PM   #5

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default correct ID

Quote:
Originally Posted by beckstactical View Post
I just took over as my police agencies armorer and found something in our armory that I need help with. I do not need the fact that it is not legal to own and so forth just help with ID. I have researched a few findings about the only company name Deeley & Edge located on the shotgun. I believe it to be 10gauge.

Thi

Now for the visible markings.
On both sides of the action just below the breach it has W.B. DANBY.( Internet search, resulted in a hunter from the early 20th century)

On the top rib between the barrels is THE SPECIAL CLUB GUN. No findings via internet on this.

Next is the forearm release latch. One side PATENT, the other DEELEY & EDGE.

Finally several markings on the underside of the barrels. Both barrels marked with some type of proofing (crossed arms type) and 12. Then on one barrel,
11B NOT FOR BALL. Last is a set of numbers between, 8105, possible serial.

This shotgun was in a box way in the back it appears someone did not care for the beauty. The barrels were cut off and the stock is broke. Any help would be much appreciated.
I realize this is an old thread but I will help clear the ID confusion.
It is a British made 12 gauge shotgun made between 1872 and 1887. It was marketed by WB Danby a small "sporting supplier" in the Birmingham, England area. The Deeley & Edge patent is in reference to the forend latch invented by John Deeley and Mr. Edge both of whom worked for Westley Richards. Deeley had many patents and worked for the Westley Richards firm for many years. The gun was probably made by WR or possibly W. Scott the 2 largest makers and suppliers of guns to the English trade. It was proofed at the Birmingham proof house prior to 1888(black powder proof). The "not for ball" marking was not used after 1887. This mark indicated the left barrel was choke bored and had a nominal bore diameter of 11 ga and a muzzle/ choke constriction of 12 bore. The right barrel is marked "12" This is the nominal bore diameter of that barrel, no choke. the left barrel was made as a 12 bore then "back-bored" to 11 bore dimensions and the reamer stopped short of the muzzle leaving a 12 bore muzzle diameter =choke bored. Not for ball meant, do not shoot solid projectile. After 1888 if the choke was more than .008", it must be marked "Choke" or Choke Bored" Marking was voluntary if the choke was less than .008".
The Deeley and Edge patent forend latch (not the action) was an 1872 English patent and a US patent was granted in 1873. John Deeley and Wm Anson's patent of 1875 for the box lock hammerless gun that is still in use today by most gun makers of box lock actions. Westley Richards sold these actions to the trade and collected patent royalties on the action and forend latch for quite a few years) The number on the barrel is not a serial number but the proof house record # for the barrels. The "Special Gun Club" reference, is the grade of gun, if you will. Less expensive trade guns were often marketed with names such as this. It is not Remington. Since it bears no American importer or marks this was most probably brought over by an immigrant or visiting sportsman. I hope this clears things up and informs. Probably more than you ever wanted to know....

Last edited by Sportclay; 10-26-2012 at 04:45 PM.
c3shooter Likes This