Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   ?? help reccomend ?? Mossberg 500 (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/help-reccomend-mossberg-500-a-80910/)

suzychapstick 01-10-2013 05:45 PM

?? help reccomend ?? Mossberg 500

I'm a little confused on which style or variety of mossberg 500 to get. I already own a browning auto w/ a long barrel. So I'm looking for a max capacity short barreled combat style shotgun. I have a bunch of 12 ga 3" buckshot and slugs. Thats all I'd probally ever shoot out of it. I looked at mossbergs website, and at gun broker, seems the moss website doesn't have all there models on there. I'm confused which one to buy.
1. I don't think I want a pistol grip.
2. I want magazine to extend the length of barrel, or at least close to it.
3. I want a barrel on it used for slugs
4. short barrel, probally 18-20"
5. I don't like a bunch of tactical cheap looking crap on it, that unneccessay. I saw some like that at Big 5 when I was looking at them
Above are a few things I have a preference of. I'm thinking as for sights, I'd like something a little more than just a bead at the end of the barrel. I saw a model called blackwater on the moss website, it looked like it had a picadilly rail w/ sights. I dont know what picdaily rail is, or what its inteded for? I have long arms, and a little near sighted, so I like a long rear stock. So I'm hoping I can get some suggestions on what models not to get, or ones you people favor, and why. I'm just confused on what to get, any suggestions, or places you can point me on the web to see more would be helpful, thanks

glock_shooter1984 01-10-2013 06:03 PM

At the top of mossbergs website there is a tab that says products. Scroll over it and a drop down menu will come up and click on shotguns. There is a section in there with all the different 500's they make

fupuk 01-11-2013 11:10 AM

1 Attachment(s)
Here is my Mossberg 500 persuader with a regular butt stock, but it came with a pistol grip. The rail is whats on top of the receiver and has my green dot sight on it. It holds 7+1 and I believe its a 18 1/2 inch barrel.

suzychapstick 01-11-2013 06:56 PM

thanks glockshooter1984. I've tried it. Still seems I'm having the same problem though. It might just be what they are pushing to sell right now that comws up. Nice pic fupuk. I think something about what you got there looks to be about what I want.

JTJ 01-11-2013 09:32 PM

http://www.mossberg.com/product/shotguns-pump-action-590-special-purpose-special-purpose-9-shot/50645
They are available with bead or ghost ring. Hit the arrow on the sights bar and it will come up. Personally I like the look of the HS12 OU.

suzychapstick 01-12-2013 04:28 AM

I like that one also. The rail is farther away from you on that one. I don't know why or what diff it makes. I like your skeletal out of ammo pic

John_Deer 01-12-2013 01:27 PM

I have never seen a slug barrel mounted on a Mossberg with an 9 shot magazine tube. I have been looking for a slug barrel for my Maverick 88. I have yet to see one. I can tell you this much, six 3" slugs are heavy enough after a long trek in the woods. The ammo weighs as much as the gun.

JTJ 01-12-2013 01:34 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by John_Deer (Post 1090442)
I have never seen a slug barrel mounted on a Mossberg with an 9 shot magazine tube. I have been looking for a slug barrel for my Maverick 88. I have yet to see one. I can tell you this much, six 3" slugs are heavy enough after a long trek in the woods. The ammo weighs as much as the gun.

If you go to the link I posted, you will see one.

John_Deer 01-12-2013 02:06 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JTJ (Post 1090444)
If you go to the link I posted, you will see one.

ERRRMM, Dude! that is a Cylinder Bore, not a rifled slug barrel. My maverick 88 has a cylinder bore barrel with a 9 shot capacity. My rifled barrel is much more accurate with a slug but it will only fit a 6 shot cylinder tube.

I did misread what the OP wants. I was under the impression he wanted a slug barrel.

To the OP if the Mossberg is more than you want to pay look into a maverick 88. It is advertised as an 8 shot but it will hold 9 shots. The maverick is a good shooting gun. Mine has never given me a moments trouble.

You have to load three 2 3/4" shells to get 9 in the maverick 88. I load six 3" buckshot and three 2 3/4" slugs to get a total of 9 shots in the Maverick 88.