Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Help on new HD shotgun setup (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/help-new-hd-shotgun-setup-58451/)

Renegade00 02-22-2012 12:21 AM

Help on new HD shotgun setup

I am looking to buy my first shotgun in the next few weeks and just wanted some input from you guys about some accessories I was considering adding. Any info/suggestions will be greatly appreciated..

I plan on getting the Remington 870 Tactical. The gun will be used for home defense and just some fun target shooting.. no hunting at all.

Here are the parts I was considering adding to it -

Blackhawk adjustable stock w/ Knoxx recoil suppression - $99

TacStar Side Saddle - $32

I've ready pretty positive reviews about the two accessories above, but what I'm having trouble choosing is a front vertical pistol grip/tactical light combo. I'm not looking to spend much more than $150 on these two components - preferably closer to $100.

What is a good setup at a decent price for the front vertical grip/tactical light?

How hard are all the accessories to install? Any welding necessary or do the parts bolt on?

Also, as far as ammo goes, from what I've read the recommended ammo for home defense is #00 or some kind of bird shot if you're concerned about over penetration? And what should be used for just target shooting and practicing with it?

If you have any suggestions on different brands than what I've listed so far please let me know. Thanks in advance for any help you guys can give me.

hiwall 02-22-2012 12:33 AM

I would think it would be wiser to get the shotgun and shoot it a little to help you decide what parts to change and what to leave as-is.

fireguy 02-22-2012 05:04 AM

The Knoxx stock is a great addition. It can change length of pull for different sized shooters as well as takes some of the recoil away from your shoulder. A side saddle is a good add on too. A means to reload as time permits when using the shotgun is always better than getting to the point that you need it to go bang and it says click instead.

I am not a fan of a front pistol grip. I have many years of practice racking a slide and controlling a shotgun that way and it suits me just fine. A gun as heavy as a fully loaded 12 ga. with another 6 rounds on the receiver and a light under the barrel is enough for me. It may prove that you prefer a front grip, then go for it.

Good sling swivels and proper placement for the type of sling you use is also important. You don't want it to interfere with the light or it's mount or in the case of some 3 point slings with the discharge of spent shells or access to the sidesaddle.

The Remmie will make a good gun for you and there is a lot of stuff made for it if you choose to customize. Spend some time with it before you add a lot or spend a lot for it.

Renegade00 02-22-2012 01:23 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by hiwall (Post 716282)
I would think it would be wiser to get the shotgun and shoot it a little to help you decide what parts to change and what to leave as-is.

I prefer to plan out the build before I purchase anything, I don't plan on buying everything all at once with the gun, though.

Renegade00 02-22-2012 01:25 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by fireguy (Post 716530)
The Knoxx stock is a great addition. It can change length of pull for different sized shooters as well as takes some of the recoil away from your shoulder. A side saddle is a good add on too. A means to reload as time permits when using the shotgun is always better than getting to the point that you need it to go bang and it says click instead.

I am not a fan of a front pistol grip. I have many years of practice racking a slide and controlling a shotgun that way and it suits me just fine. A gun as heavy as a fully loaded 12 ga. with another 6 rounds on the receiver and a light under the barrel is enough for me. It may prove that you prefer a front grip, then go for it.

Good sling swivels and proper placement for the type of sling you use is also important. You don't want it to interfere with the light or it's mount or in the case of some 3 point slings with the discharge of spent shells or access to the sidesaddle.

The Remmie will make a good gun for you and there is a lot of stuff made for it if you choose to customize. Spend some time with it before you add a lot or spend a lot for it.

Thanks for the info .

Do you know how hard it is to install the Knoxx stock?

Any recommendations on what type of light to use?

Buckethead47 02-22-2012 01:49 PM

I second wait for the vertical pistol grip action. The knoxx recoil stock was a breeze to install. You will need a larger flat head and a smaller philips head for the original stock. If you get a side saddle, you don't want to install the forarm that comes with the stock. it will hit the side saddle. Your question for easy to install the grip. You said you wanted the grip and light. Now the way I see that working is getting a forarm with accesory rails. I know the mossberg 500 has molded vertical grip forarms they probably have them for our 870's too. There are many ways to attach a light to a shotgun. the way I'm going with my light is with a forarm from a company called mako. I want my light at the 3 o'clock position and I'm going to get a pressure switch. Do some research and when you add something to your gun, take it too the range. You never know what issues you will run into. For instance, when I added my stock and forarm, I discovered 2 tabs on the forarm that caused the gun to not fully cycle. It sometimes wouldn't lock the action and was not pulling the shells out of the tube.

ScottA 02-22-2012 01:53 PM

Make sure you stop by the introductions thread and tell us a little about yourself.

proffitt 02-28-2012 10:34 PM

Know sells a saddle to fit that stock. Amazon has it

HockaLouis 02-29-2012 01:15 AM

There are many posts, threads, etc. on such. I would suggest searching here first...

Duck4Glocks 03-04-2012 04:23 AM

2 Attachment(s)
I just posted about this earlier but for different reasons. I put a foregrip on my 870 and didn't care for the feel or the look. With the weight of the shotgun and the distance to reach for the foregrip the conventional hand guard was a better choice. It looked cooler with the Blackhawk hand guard.

Attachment 40619

Attachment 40618