Help me choose a shotgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Help me choose a shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-11-2012, 07:51 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help me choose a shotgun

Hello everyone, I'm looking for a shotgun that will be used for target shooting and home defense. I have no intentions of hunting with it. I'm looking for something with a tactical look that can be easily customized. I would like to put an adjustable stock and pistol grip in it. I'm looking to spent $500-$800ish. I'm considering the mossberg 500 and Remington 870. I'm kind of leaning towards the Remington because it has a little higher shell capacity. What are your thoughts? Is there another gun I should be looking at? I'm open to any suggestions, and appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
-

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-11-2012, 07:59 PM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1202 Times on 671 Posts
Likes Given: 500

The customization options are nearly endless for either the Mossy or the Remy. You just need to decide which appeals to you. Do you like the safety control located just behind the trigger or on the top of the receiver?

I cut my teeth on Remington shotguns, so that tells you my preference of the two.

Please stop by the introduction section sometime and share some information about yourself.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:00 PM   #3

Location: 2,000 miles Northwest of Bill's Laundromat, Bar & Grill, CA
Liked 538 Times on 379 Posts
Likes Given: 273

Target Shooting? What targets? Mossy 500 with HD barrel and 28 inch barrel is the way to go. I figure you mean clays so you'll need that longer barrel.

-Matt

Old 11-11-2012, 08:01 PM   #4

Liked 2389 Times on 1488 Posts
Likes Given: 51

I have an 870 brother has a 500. Either one is a fine shotgun for the intended purpose.

Oh dern....

Revelation 19:11

And I saw heaven opened, and behold a white horse; and he that sat upon him was called Faithful and True, and in righteousness he doth judge and make war.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:22 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blueguns
Target Shooting? What targets? Mossy 500 with HD barrel and 28 inch barrel is the way to go. I figure you mean clays so you'll need that longer barrel.
By target shooting I mean a variety of targets. I will mostly run slugs through the gun. My local indoor range allows shotguns w/slugs, so I spend a lot of time there during the rainy season here in Seattle. When it's not raining I do some outdoor shooting in the mountains where I shoot anything from paper targets to home made ballistics gel heads. I would like to try my hand at skeet, but it won't be my primary target.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:25 PM   #6

Liked 742 Times on 435 Posts
Likes Given: 958

If you do a search there is a lot of info on this subject, but i prefer Mossbergs, could be because i was raised on them, and put hundreds of rounds thru them every week at the trap range. Some tactical Mossy advantages
1 - due to its location, you can operate the safety without taking your finger off the trigger

2 - shell lifter stays in the up position, making it easier/quicker to load or clear

3 - sounds way meaner when you rack it than the remmy does .... LOL

The Founders DID anticipate that arms technology would advance, that's why the 2nd amendment doesn't say "the right to keep and bear a musket".......

Old 11-11-2012, 08:27 PM   #7

By target shooting I mean a variety of targets. I will mostly run slugs through the gun since my local indoor range allows shot guns with slugs. I spend a lot of time there since it rains so much here in Seattle. When it's not raining I shoot in the mountains at anything from paper targets, milk jugs, to home made ballistic gel heads. I would like to try my hand at shooting skeet, but it will not be a common target for me.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:32 PM   #8

Liked 21 Times on 15 Posts

You can't really go wrong with either as both are good shotguns and there are tons of aftermarket accessories for both including barrels of various lengths and ones intended for slugs.

For whatever it's worth, I have a Mossberg M590 that I've shot a lot over the last ~15 years and it has never given me any trouble whatsoever. I added a slightly larger safety on it and it is just about perfect as a tactical shotgun.

Old 11-11-2012, 08:34 PM   #9

Sorry for posting twice. I'm still getting used to the app on my iPad, lol. Anyone have any experience with the mossberg 590? I think that might be close to what I'm looking for.

Old 11-12-2012, 12:00 AM   #10
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 757 Times on 449 Posts
Likes Given: 477

Quote:
Originally Posted by yzf128r View Post
Hello everyone, I'm looking for a shotgun that will be used for target shooting and home defense. I have no intentions of hunting with it. I'm looking for something with a tactical look that can be easily customized. I would like to put an adjustable stock and pistol grip in it. I'm looking to spent $500-$800ish. I'm considering the mossberg 500 and Remington 870. I'm kind of leaning towards the Remington because it has a little higher shell capacity. What are your thoughts? Is there another gun I should be looking at? I'm open to any suggestions, and appreciate any feedback.

Thanks
-
I'd rather lean toward the Mossberg 590A1 12 gauge shotgun for both target and home defense.
mossberg.jpg  

Last edited by PanBaccha; 11-12-2012 at 12:02 AM.