Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   HELP!! I need your opinion on picking a shotgun! (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/help-i-need-your-opinion-picking-shotgun-19457/)

shaneo206 10-25-2009 02:24 PM

HELP!! I need your opinion on picking a shotgun!

I'm looking for a new shotgun. It needs to be suited for field and clay shooting. I have narrowed it down to the remington 870 express, mossberg 500 mariner 9 shot(would get longer barrel), browning BPS hunter, or remington 870 marine magnum(again, i would get a longer barrel). I really like the look of the marine shotguns and think i could use them in the field and in clay shooting if i put a longer barrel on them.

WHat are your opinions? Of these picks do you like best?

suprdave 10-25-2009 03:04 PM

If you're going to use it for clays and/or field, you should buy a gun thats designed for that. My opinion...

RED 10-25-2009 03:54 PM

In my humble opinion the 870 express is just about as good as any pump gun around especially if you replace a couple of plastic parts with metal. Also, unless things are different today, they can be had in about any barrel configuration long, short, rem choke, straight, ribbed, rifled, etc., etc.

My 12 ga. has a 28" ribbed Remchoke. I use the IC choke for doves and the extra full for turkeys.

BrassMonkey 10-25-2009 04:04 PM

Both are fine choices. That said I prefer the 870 myself. It just feels better built than the Mossberg. I would not buy a new Express though. For the same price shop around and pick up a used Wingmaster. It will have much nicer fit & finish.

bkt 10-25-2009 04:05 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by RED (Post 177935)
In my humble opinion the 870 express is just about as good as any pump gun around especially if you replace a couple of plastic parts with metal. Also, unless things are different today, they can be had in about any barrel configuration long, short, rem choke, straight, ribbed, rifled, etc., etc.

My 12 ga. has a 28" ribbed Remchoke. I use the IC choke for doves and the extra full for turkeys.

+1. You have several barrel options and it and takes less than a minute to swap a barrel. The 870 is relatively inexpensive and very reliable.

(My 870 is about 20 years old and has no plastic parts. Well, it HAD no plastic parts 'til I added a pistol grip, collapsible stock, etc. Where is there plastic nowdays on an 870 out of the box?)

jbshoots 10-25-2009 06:47 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by suprdave (Post 177924)
If you're going to use it for clays and/or field, you should buy a gun thats designed for that. My opinion...

yep.

all those pump actions the op talked about are good guns, i have the rem 870 myself, but for strictly field/clay i would think an over under double barrel would be best.

i think mossberg makes a relatively inexpensive one.

stalkingbear 10-25-2009 07:24 PM

Don't dismiss the Browning BPS too quick. I've had 3 of them personally and loved them. Of those 3 I'd choose the BPS for field shooting/trap/hunting, and Remington 870 for home defense/tactical.

davemccarthy707 10-25-2009 08:51 PM

Browning Auto 5.

jayguy 04-15-2011 01:53 PM

remington 870 marine magnum :)