Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Help finding a shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2009, 11:12 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Help finding a shotgun

I am looking for a Shotgun solely for home defense and i was wondering if anyone has any particular model they would recommend i really want one where i can add a pistol grip attachment too. my price range is 230-350 i do realize there is a post about Recommending a shot gun but i really didn't see any post that was relivent for what i was looking for. so any suggestions would helpful thanks.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-10-2009, 11:22 PM   #2

Location: I see you, and you will not know when I will strike
Liked 3471 Times on 1606 Posts
Likes Given: 3590

Why a shotgun? Out of curiosity....

What is your IDEAL home defense situation and what is your experience with firearms?

These questions will help the guys here help you out...

JD

Old 02-10-2009, 11:35 PM   #3

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

mossberg 500 that will fit your budget and is extreamly reliable

Wars begin where u will
But they do not end where you please-Machiavelli

He who makes a beast of himself gets rid of the pain of being a man- Dr. Johnson

"..it does not require a majority to prevail, but rather an irate, tireless minority keen to set brush fires in people's minds.." - Samuel Adams

your my best friend but if the zombies start chasing us im tripping you

Old 02-10-2009, 11:39 PM   #4

well, because I have always wanted a pistol grip shotgun and trying to have diff. kinds of guns in my collection don't get me wrong I will still take it shooting. and i have decent experince been shooting now for 7 years now. and "What is your IDEAL home defense situation" i dont really know how to answer that i just wanna make sure i have plenty of stopping power for home invasion etc.

Old 02-10-2009, 11:59 PM   #5

The reason I ask is because, as I am sure you have read, I think a shotgun is not the best choice for home defense.

It's heavy, it's long, it's difficult to swing around corners and it's power can punch through interior walls of dual drywall with very good effectiveness.

Now, it can be made to be less devastating with birdshot, as has been discussed, but have you ever fired a good 12 gauge with a pistol grip??

It bucks, and it bucks hard, not to mention it climbs drastically off target, and if it's a pump, you have several things working against you.

In my opinion, a handgun is much better suited for home defense.

Having said that, if you are set on a shotgun. Either the Remington 870 or Mossberg 500 will both treat you right, will both fit your price range and both have more aftermarket parts, including pistol grips, than you can shake a stick at...

JD

Old 02-11-2009, 12:16 AM   #6

hmm i guess i have never really thought of that i always thought shotguns were perfect for home defense because of there power i have a glock 38 but i guess i am looking for more protection like the banner says are you prepared and i don't think so.

Old 02-11-2009, 12:37 AM   #7

There is NOTHING wrong with being prepared - and a shotgun SHOULD be in every home defense kit. It makes a great Zombies in the Wire weapon and it makes a great food gathering weapon. One shot, down bird, or squirrel or even dog/cat. Shotguns have great purposes, but I don't think it's primary use should be for home defense in the middle of the night. A pistol is faster, it's quicker on target and it's quicker on follow up shots.

Now, if you had a 10" cut down side by side street sweeper, loaded with probably a small bird shot load, something that won't over penertrate, you would have a nice hallway clearing device. However, that is not a legal weapon, under the current laws.

Your model 38 is what, .45GAP? That is a good round, not my ideal choice, but you can get safety slugs that won't over penetrate ( like Glaser ) and be comfortable with your ability to put rounds on target, even in a sleep deprived, stumbling condition.

A shotgun is a great weapon - but I don't believe it's great for stalking from room to room trying to sweep and clear as you go.

I have a great shotgun, but it's not loaded in the house. The gun is in the safe and the ammo is no where near it.

My 1911 on the other hand - you can bet your last dollar that it is cocked, locked and ready to go in about 2 seconds notice when I release it from the biometric safe next to the bed.

If the 106lb. German Sheppard doesn't tear you a new ass, 230 grains of +P will surely do it.

JD

Old 02-11-2009, 02:46 AM   #8

Liked 7 Times on 6 Posts

The Mossburg maverick 88 is what I bought the Wife for when I am out of town, came with the pistol grip and the regular buttstock. She works it great and is perfect for the home we are in. I am going to get a nightforce light to mount on it for her later. The first round in it is #6 3in birdshot, the next 4 is low recoil 00 buck.

And I picked it up new for slightly under 300 bucks