Heat Shield or Tactical Light

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Heat Shield or Tactical Light

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-07-2012, 11:43 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Heat Shield or Tactical Light

Have a Mossberg 12g...with a heat shield .. in order to install an Elzetta ZSM mount for my light I need to remove the shield ...since this is mainly a home defense weapon I am inclined to do it...good decision?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 11-08-2012, 01:50 AM   #2
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 5705 Times on 3225 Posts
Likes Given: 5128

Personally, I wouldn't have either the shied or the light on a defensive shotgun.

That light sure makes a great target.

Winston Churchill
DrumJunkie Likes This 
Old 11-08-2012, 02:31 AM   #3

Thought of that but wouldn't a tactical light in the eyes give an edge?

Old 11-08-2012, 04:25 AM   #4

As to the shield it came installed and I had no reason to remove it...the weight didnt seem significant

Old 11-09-2012, 05:27 AM   #5

Liked 247 Times on 169 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJAP17
Have a Mossberg 12g...with a heat shield .. in order to install an Elzetta ZSM mount for my light I need to remove the shield ...since this is mainly a home defense weapon I am inclined to do it...good decision?
Get rid if your heat shield and get a black aces quad rail, very good product. Made from aluminum so its light but very sturdy

forumrunner_20121109_002709.jpg

forumrunner_20121109_002722.jpg

forumrunner_20121109_002734.jpg

Old 11-09-2012, 07:51 AM   #6

Liked 133 Times on 108 Posts
Likes Given: 43

Why remove the shield to mount the light on a pump shotgun? I would put a magazine extension on it before I put a light mount in my field of view. It looks like a tactical shotgun aint so frikin tactical. All my hunting models have a larger magazine tube, even my 20 ga.

"I do not aim with my hand; I aim with my eye. He who aims with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not shoot with my hand; I shoot with my mind. He who shoots with his hand has forgotten the face of his father.
I do not kill with my gun; I kill with my heart. He who kills with his gun has forgotten the face of his father."

Adopt a pet!! http://www.aspca.org/ Some of the finest pleasure horses come from here: http://www.canterusa.org/

Last edited by Old_Crow; 11-09-2012 at 07:54 AM.

Old 11-09-2012, 08:08 AM   #7

Liked 709 Times on 462 Posts
Likes Given: 1945

Target identification is a must, if a light isn't on, you need a flashlight, either way you are going to be visible. A bright led light in your unadjusted eyes disorient you, even in daylight.

Your flashight isn't going to make you an easier Target unless you are in a combat situation and and at range, even if you were, I've yet to see a light that didnt have an off switch, this isnt call of duty. Find a way to attach a light to your primary home defense weapon. You can't undo the mistake of miss-identifying a loved one.

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ

Old 11-09-2012, 08:24 AM   #8

Liked 1616 Times on 944 Posts
Likes Given: 1894

I'm not a fan of lights on my SD weapons. Sure a light in the eye can be a distraction but it makes for a real easy to see target. Shoot anywhere a foot around that light and you're hit. The only things I do like on a HD shotgun are maybe a pistol grip with the full stock. I don't see much advantage in the rear pistol grip only and I've yet to see one of the adjustable rear stocks that where all that comfortable. I also like a larger mag/mag extension. Other than that anything else just seems to make me feel tacticool or action movie-ish. In all fairness though I have pretty good low light/night vision. So while I may have a light with me I don't always have it on. I feel like I'm losing the ability to keep my position from being too obvious. A small AA LED mag light works for getting around the house if needed or maybe something a little bigger for skulking around outside. My dog is my best ally for getting to know where unwanted pests may be lurking around out there though.

The tree of liberty must be refreshed from time to time with the blood of patriots and tyrants.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 11-09-2012, 02:09 PM   #9

Liked 35 Times on 31 Posts
Likes Given: 33

The light is only on momentarily. A second to ID threat/no threat……threat, boom, 2 seconds. If they get the drop on you while using a light proper than you aren’t doing it right. You all make it sound like your shining the light forever. That’s why weapon lights have a momentary on option, it’s not for navigation and it’s not to be left on long enough to count you enemy’s freckles. A light is much more important than a HS in Home Defense

Old 11-09-2012, 03:01 PM   #10

Liked 19 Times on 12 Posts
Likes Given: 4

I have a 20ga Mossberg with a heat shield. I'm debating whether or not to keep it. What I have seem so far is you can get a light that mounts under the barrel. There's even one that has a light built into the forearm.