Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Heat Shield or Tactical Light (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/heat-shield-tactical-light-75887/)

AJAP17 11-07-2012 11:43 PM

Heat Shield or Tactical Light

Have a Mossberg 12g...with a heat shield .. in order to install an Elzetta ZSM mount for my light I need to remove the shield ...since this is mainly a home defense weapon I am inclined to do it...good decision?

locutus 11-08-2012 01:50 AM

Personally, I wouldn't have either the shied or the light on a defensive shotgun.

That light sure makes a great target.

AJAP17 11-08-2012 02:31 AM

Thought of that but wouldn't a tactical light in the eyes give an edge?

AJAP17 11-08-2012 04:25 AM

As to the shield it came installed and I had no reason to remove it...the weight didnt seem significant

Ultimate_sig 11-09-2012 05:27 AM

3 Attachment(s)
Quote:

Originally Posted by AJAP17
Have a Mossberg 12g...with a heat shield .. in order to install an Elzetta ZSM mount for my light I need to remove the shield ...since this is mainly a home defense weapon I am inclined to do it...good decision?

Get rid if your heat shield and get a black aces quad rail, very good product. Made from aluminum so its light but very sturdy

Attachment 68832

Attachment 68833

Attachment 68834

Old_Crow 11-09-2012 07:51 AM

Why remove the shield to mount the light on a pump shotgun? I would put a magazine extension on it before I put a light mount in my field of view. It looks like a tactical shotgun aint so frikin tactical. All my hunting models have a larger magazine tube, even my 20 ga.

sputnik1988 11-09-2012 08:08 AM

Target identification is a must, if a light isn't on, you need a flashlight, either way you are going to be visible. A bright led light in your unadjusted eyes disorient you, even in daylight.

Your flashight isn't going to make you an easier Target unless you are in a combat situation and and at range, even if you were, I've yet to see a light that didnt have an off switch, this isnt call of duty. Find a way to attach a light to your primary home defense weapon. You can't undo the mistake of miss-identifying a loved one.

DrumJunkie 11-09-2012 08:24 AM

I'm not a fan of lights on my SD weapons. Sure a light in the eye can be a distraction but it makes for a real easy to see target. Shoot anywhere a foot around that light and you're hit. The only things I do like on a HD shotgun are maybe a pistol grip with the full stock. I don't see much advantage in the rear pistol grip only and I've yet to see one of the adjustable rear stocks that where all that comfortable. I also like a larger mag/mag extension. Other than that anything else just seems to make me feel tacticool or action movie-ish. In all fairness though I have pretty good low light/night vision. So while I may have a light with me I don't always have it on. I feel like I'm losing the ability to keep my position from being too obvious. A small AA LED mag light works for getting around the house if needed or maybe something a little bigger for skulking around outside. My dog is my best ally for getting to know where unwanted pests may be lurking around out there though.:cool:

oli700 11-09-2012 02:09 PM

The light is only on momentarily. A second to ID threat/no threat……threat, boom, 2 seconds. If they get the drop on you while using a light proper than you aren’t doing it right. You all make it sound like your shining the light forever. That’s why weapon lights have a momentary on option, it’s not for navigation and it’s not to be left on long enough to count you enemy’s freckles. A light is much more important than a HS in Home Defense

Kemosabe 11-09-2012 03:01 PM

I have a 20ga Mossberg with a heat shield. I'm debating whether or not to keep it. What I have seem so far is you can get a light that mounts under the barrel. There's even one that has a light built into the forearm.