Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   HD Decisions (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/hd-decisions-9088/)

falseharmonix 12-11-2008 04:37 AM

HD Decisions

Hello All,

I've been considering a shotgun as a HD weapon. From the research I've done, I've seen that many (both in this forum and others) speak highly of the Remington 870. I've also seen quite a bit of praise for the Mossberg 590.

With those two models in mind, would anyone care to share their preference between the two, and any horror stories or songs of praise?

I am not looking for an answer to "which gun is better". The gun that is better is the one that I prefer the most. I'd just like to know everyones take on their weapons. Thanks much!

jeepcreep927 12-11-2008 07:36 AM

Between the two is like choosing chocolate or vanilla: personal preference. Both have a good records in police and military service albeit the 870's is considerably longer.

I have had both and have no significant preference other than the Mossberg's top safety which I like better. Performance wise, they are both good guns IMHO.

Dillinger 12-11-2008 01:18 PM

I agree with Jeep - They are basically the same from most points of view and both have proven themselves hundreds, if not hundreds of thousands, of times over.

The Remington probably has more after market parts available, so you could probably trick it out a little easier/cheaper if you wanted to go that route.

The Mossy can probably be had a little cheaper, but that doesn't mean it's inferior.

Personally, I have shot both and wouldn't have any problem picking one up and putting rounds on target if I had too. I don't subscribe to the "shotgun for primary home defense" line of thinking, but that is just a personal call. Many people prefer the shotgun and it makes a damn fine choice, it's just not my first choice.

I have to say Jeep nailed it when he said chocolate or vanilla - I just happen to really like strawberry ( and redheads oddly enough :D ).

JD

falseharmonix 12-11-2008 01:30 PM

Thanks guys. I guess what I was looking for was if someone knew of any design flaws or pitfalls that might make one gun less practical.

Jeep, in my research I too noticed that the safety on the Mossy might make it more attractive to my needs.

I guess the only step now is to go shoot them and find out which gun I like the best.

Thank you gentlemen!

robocop10mm 12-11-2008 03:17 PM

Chocolate, Vanilla. Ford, Chevy. Personal preference. If you can find a Winchester Defender, especially a 1300 series one, that is where my preference goes.

kiabe1 01-13-2013 05:12 AM

i prefer the mossberg due to the ease of access of the thumb safety, just a quick flick of the thumb and your ready to go

Axxe55 01-13-2013 05:58 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiabe1 (Post 1091503)
i prefer the mossberg due to the ease of access of the thumb safety, just a quick flick of the thumb and your ready to go

you do realize your cutting into your gun buy budget because of all the birthday cakes you'll be buying?:D

kiabe1 01-13-2013 06:24 AM

oh crap not my gun money lol wat kind of beer u want with this one

Axxe55 01-13-2013 06:27 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by kiabe1 (Post 1091569)
oh crap not my gun money lol wat kind of beer u want with this one

personally i am partial to Corona, salt and lime on the side!:D

Marlinman 01-13-2013 06:32 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by axxe55 (Post 1091570)

personally i am partial to Corona, salt and lime on the side!:D

Where's my wl weller jonas???;)