HD action - Page 2
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > HD action

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2013, 12:18 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 154 Times on 116 Posts

For true home defense I am perfectly comfortable with one of my 1100s. They are certainly not unreliable in my 50 years experience with them, especially with buck or slugs. Of course, I would also be comfortable with my Wingmaster or one of my SxSs. If one wants to modify their shotgun that is their right, but I don't see the need - just for HD. If a platoon of bad guys drives out to get me, after I nail the first one or two, the rest can just stand outside and spray the house with their assault rifles - the preferred weapon of criminals according to the gun haters - and they will likely get me whether I have one round or five left, with or without a gun mounted light, too.
A pump action is likely to be more reliable throughout a wide range of conditions, because it will work as long as the shooter does, if it ain't broke.
To me, tactical and home defense are two different things. A lot of people like the tactical look. A home defense gun may not be suitable for tactical, but a tactical gun will do fine for home defense, it just has stuff you don't really need in that service. I'm not criticizing because I can't really say I need 8 shotguns, much less the bunch I used to have.

What could have happened... did.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:34 PM   #12
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 3160 Times on 1822 Posts
Likes Given: 2012

Let's ask the guys whose lives depend on or depended on a shotgun in action.

Leos, vets, actives, retired, what action were you issued and why?

Old 05-09-2013, 12:40 PM   #13

Liked 813 Times on 621 Posts
Likes Given: 125

Marine Corp. -- Beretta/Benelli Self-Loading M1014 Combat Shotgun.

Old 05-09-2013, 12:58 PM   #14

Liked 107 Times on 86 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by HockaLouis View Post
Marine Corp. -- Beretta/Benelli Self-Loading M1014 Combat Shotgun.
That gets me excited just reading the name lol.....it's hard to go wrong with a benelli/ beretta when it comes to semi auto

Old 05-10-2013, 02:35 AM   #15

Liked 154 Times on 116 Posts

Yes, but all those guys - Leos, vets, actives, retired,... - are not engaged in home defense. They have to be prepared for hunt and seek or other offensive situations.

What could have happened... did.

Old 05-12-2013, 07:35 PM   #16

Liked 5 Times on 4 Posts

I'm relatively new to the HD thought process, but based on multiple recs from friends and websites as well as good price I got a Rem 870.

One thing that stuck with me when I was looking at options was the fact that with a pump, I have the option to leave the breech open and unloaded after each shot versus an auto loader that will make the gun immediately hot again until it's empty. With kiddos and others in the house, it seemed like a wise choice to leave that option open during what would be a very stressful situation. Others may disagree, but that's my preference.

Old 05-13-2013, 06:06 AM   #17
No Longer a NY Resident.
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1753 Times on 1081 Posts
Likes Given: 9667

Quote:
Originally Posted by n2b8r View Post
I'm relatively new to the HD thought process, but based on multiple recs from friends and websites as well as good price I got a Rem 870.

One thing that stuck with me when I was looking at options was the fact that with a pump, I have the option to leave the breech open and unloaded after each shot versus an auto loader that will make the gun immediately hot again until it's empty. With kiddos and others in the house, it seemed like a wise choice to leave that option open during what would be a very stressful situation. Others may disagree, but that's my preference.
N2b8r. First off, welcome to the forum. When you get a chance stop by the introductions forum and introduce yourself to the other members. Let us know a little more about you.

Secondly. I would have never thought of the reason you listed in your post. My daughter is 16 at this point, and has been shooting with me for the last 7 years, so not really an issue in my case. Still, good food for thought.

I have never had any problems as far as reliability whit any of my semi-autos, shotgun, rifle, or handgun. I use a Remington 870 for HD for 3 reasons.

1: everyone in my house has used a pump action on a regular basis for at least the last 6 years. We are all familiar with a pump, and could operate it in the dark if necessary.
2: Versatility of loads. Not only can a pump shoot any type of load within it's size restrictions, but if you need to change from buck to slug, you can pull back the slide, pop out the extracted load, and turn the shotgun on it's side to dump the fresh shell out. At that point, you can safely load in a different type of shell into the chamber manually. At no point in this will you be risking a smashed finger due to hitting the bolt release. Trust me, that bolt coming home to the chamber does nasty things to a finger if it's in the way.
3: "Tacticool" add ons are perfectly legal on a pump in my state, but if I put the same add ons on a semi-auto I am breaking the law. Don't get me wrong, I have youth model synthetic stocks and a mag extension on my 870, and that is it. No pistol grips, no folding stock, no muzzle brake,etc, but in NY if even that 2 round mag extention were on a semi-auto, it would be an "assault weapon". The pump slides under the radar.

Just my opinion, that of other's will vary.

Is it better to do the right thing for the wrong reason, or to do the wrong thing for the right reason? If you do the wrong thing for the right reason, is it still the wrong thing?

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.