Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   HD action (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/hd-action-90300/)

jeepboy4life 05-07-2013 11:32 PM

HD action

I've been reading a lot of the talk on here about home defense shot guns. But when I'm reading through all I see is talk of pump action, why is pump preferred over semi auto? I personally prefer semi auto myself as I own 2 Remington 1100's. Just want to see everyone's take on this subject.

HockaLouis 05-07-2013 11:38 PM

Reliability. Experience. Cost. Maybe capacity.

jeepboy4life 05-07-2013 11:42 PM

You can hold the same capacity in same though, you can get tube adapters for both, and I can see reliability if the person owning the gun doesn't take care of it, I have never (knock on wood) had one of my 1100's jam, and I have 20,000 through my 12 ga and 1000 through my 20 ga.

HockaLouis 05-07-2013 11:51 PM

I'm sorry, were you asking a question or arguing in favor of semi-automatic shotguns for HD?

Configuration choices of semi-autos for HD have also been considerably comparatively limited. That's probably more effect than cause as, well, that's not what people generally gravitate to. For almost any shotgunning.

eatmydust 05-08-2013 12:05 AM

The reasons you see put forth for pump shotguns for HD are the same reasons that the majority of people buy Rem. 870's and Mossy 500's for every other aplication, over 1100's and 5900's.

1) cost
2) reliability
3) familiarity

jeepboy4life 05-08-2013 12:39 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by HockaLouis (Post 1240261)
I'm sorry, were you asking a question or arguing in favor of semi-automatic shotguns for HD?

Configuration choices of semi-autos for HD have also been considerably comparatively limited. That's probably more effect than cause as, well, that's not what people generally gravitate to. For almost any shotgunning.

I was asking, I was just pointing out that I doubt it was capacity, and the reliability I was agreeing with you while also disagreeing, I guess its a natural defense to defend my semi auto shotguns...

Dearhunter 05-08-2013 12:39 AM

1 Attachment(s)
This HD works for me as a back up

Attachment 99907

DrumJunkie 05-08-2013 12:56 AM

For me I just prefer a pump action shotgun. The act of working the action almost forces the shooter back on target. I really like pump action rifles for the same reason.

JonM 05-08-2013 02:33 AM

the reason for pumps over semi is purely reliability. spend any time at all with a semi shotgun you will see they can be finicky with ammo.

a pump gun stick any 12ga in the tube its gonna work. you cant always be picky about whats available in the caliber/gauge of choice with your defensive firearm. thats why people pick pumps when it comes to shotguns.

there is just a HUGE varience in powerlevels of various shotshell ammo of any type.

Sgt_Skrb_25 05-09-2013 03:38 AM

I personally own two pump actions. I think hat most people perceive that just racking a round will deter intruders. I get that , but why the hell are you clearing the house with out one in the pipe! I prefer the pump for reliability. I know there are great auto shotguns out there, but I personally will trust a basic pump with my life over auto.