Hawk 12 ga. Pump defense shotgun - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Hawk 12 ga. Pump defense shotgun


Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-24-2010, 02:05 AM   #11
995
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Nov 2009
Posts: 163
Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Default

I like that Lever Action 12 gauge
__________________
I love the smell of gun powder in the morning . Hipoints break in my house and see if they work.
995 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:16 AM   #12
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
IGETEVEN's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2009
Location: Tornado \"Just Blow Me\" Alley,Oklahoma U.S.A.
Posts: 8,424
Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Default

Me too! Brings back memories.
arnold.jpg  
__________________
Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”
IGETEVEN is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2010, 04:24 AM   #13
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
i wantto buy a pistol and forend grip frmy 982 shotgun . the remington 870 pistol and forend grip will ft it right?
Correct. The metal forend tube on the 982 is a little larger in diameter than the 870 so it will be a very tight fit. You might have to tap it on with a rubber hammer. You can remove it with a socket the same size as the forend tube; just tap the forend tube out.

GC
MAX100 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 12:34 AM   #14
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
They aren't new out. They have been in the US for about 11 years with thousands sold. To me that's withstanding the test time. Guns & Ammo magazine gave the Hawk 98, same shotgun, a very good review 10 years ago in their July 2000 issue.
GC
11 yrs. isn't much of a span for examining "the test of time".
Obviously they couldn't come up with their own design so they had to copy an American classic that has withstood the test of time.

The Hawk's MSRP being $229.95, I would go with a Mossberg instead.

Winchester Defender series is always a cool choice...the fastest pump action of all of them.
UnderFire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2010, 04:24 AM   #15
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
11 yrs. isn't much of a span for examining "the test of time".
Obviously they couldn't come up with their own design so they had to copy an American classic that has withstood the test of time.
Remington H&R NEF thinks so because they added the Hawk Ind made Pardner Pump to their line up about 5 years ago and back them with their excellent Warranty. They are big money makers because they have a very low return rate. They expanded the line in 2009.

The 870 Express manufactured in the last 5 years or so has been having problems with shells sticking chamber. Do a Google search on 870: 870 jamming, 870 FTE, 870 shells sticking chamber...ect. Do the same for the Hawk 982 and see what you come up with on both searches.

The 982 is an improve version of the 870 as a tactical defense shotgun.

*Improved shell carrier/lifter , no need for a flexi-tab
*Barrel ring located higher up which gives room to mount a flashlight rail mount in front of the forend. It holds 5+1 without a tube extension, 4+1 on the 870. With an added tube extension it's a stronger setup because the extension is shorter, 3.5". No need for a mag clamp.
*Thicker steel receiver

They are a heck of a deal.


GC
MAX100 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2010, 12:50 AM   #16
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
Remington H&R NEF thinks so because they added the Hawk Ind made Pardner Pump to their line up about 5 years ago and back them with their excellent Warranty. They are big money makers because they have a very low return rate. They expanded the line in 2009.

The 870 Express manufactured in the last 5 years or so has been having problems with shells sticking chamber. Do a Google search on 870: 870 jamming, 870 FTE, 870 shells sticking chamber...ect. Do the same for the Hawk 982 and see what you come up with on both searches.

The 982 is an improve version of the 870 as a tactical defense shotgun.

*Improved shell carrier/lifter , no need for a flexi-tab
*Barrel ring located higher up which gives room to mount a flashlight rail mount in front of the forend. It holds 5+1 without a tube extension, 4+1 on the 870. With an added tube extension it's a stronger setup because the extension is shorter, 3.5". No need for a mag clamp.
*Thicker steel receiver

They are a heck of a deal.


GC
Dude you really need to compare apples to apples and oranges to oranges...
We're talking defensive shotguns not econo hunting shotguns.

No need to do a google search, but you should before you post.
I'm well aware of the QC issues the newer 870 Express have. The newer ones are not any kind of comparison to the older 870 Express.

The Remington 870 made it's debute in 1950 (60 yrs. ago). For years now remington has offered variations of the 870 for law enforcement. The latest being the model 870P MAX. This particular model is intended for tactical use.
Why don't you compare your Hawk 982 to that model (870P MAX) instead of to an econo 870 Express.
The 870P has more durable parts as compared to the 870 Express, different extractors,ejectors,etc. The 870P wasn't modeled after the hawk...in reality it was the other way around. The Hawk 982 didn't help the 870 line with any improvements at all. The 870 Express is an econo shotgun therefore made with inexpensive parts.
870's have been patrol/security shotguns since the late 60's, into the 70's and still used until this day. How many police departments use a Hawk 982?
870's have seen military duty (1966) and is used by uniformed U.S. Secret Service.

A test of time is one of the most important measures of the success or failure of any given product. 870's: continuous production since 1950, over 7 million sold. Safe to say it has withstood the test of time. Period. But not when a shotgun is 11yrs. old and only thousands sold. That's not even a drop in the bucket.
So in reality a Hawk 982 isn't any kind of a comparison to the 870 line. For it to be thought of as better is a very naive opinion. There's no comparison what-so-ever.

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
Remington H&R NEF thinks so because they added the Hawk Ind made Pardner Pump to their line up about 5 years ago and back them with their excellent Warranty.
Now I'll address this misinformation.
As far as Remington adding H&R/NEF to their product line...actually it's a marketing support service. Where Remington will act per say like the Big Brother Co. and help out H&R/NEF with advertising, warranty and other issues. Remington offers this marketing support to help smaller mfg's to effectively promote their business/product(s). So sure, Remington believes in the H&R/NEF's product enough to give them support, but not enough to add them to Remington's product line. How you choose your wording (Remington H&R NEF) one would think it's a merger and it is Not. Remington is helping a sister company get successful. Other big/successful companys do the same thing in their related markets.

To the OP-
When Hawk 982 are compared to Mossberg's defense shotguns it isn't " a heck of a deal".
For 30-40 bucks more you'll get a lot more with Mossberg. Like all hugely successful designs, it has been produced in many configurations and is in current use by the U.S. military, which is a sure sign that the thing is tough. I wouldn't buy a copy I rather have the real McCoy.
UnderFire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 04:23 AM   #17
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Aug 2008
Posts: 55
Default

Quote:
When Hawk 982 are compared to Mossberg's defense shotguns it isn't " a heck of a deal". For 30-40 bucks more you'll get a lot more with Mossberg.
The Hawk 982 is a much better deal and more durable than the Mossberg 500. The Hawk 982 is about $100 less.

Hawk 982 has:

*Steel receiver - better more durable than aluminum receiver on the 500. Steel cost more to machine
*Nice set of ghost ring sights - GRS aren't cheap to purchase after market
*982 has a open mag tube - On the Mossberg 500 you have to remove the mag tube to clean it out or to replace the spring and follower and the standard 500 can't accept a tube extension.
*Machine aluminum trigger guard - plastic guard on the 500
*The 870 design is easier to take down and clean

Quote:
Why don't you compare your Hawk 982 to that model (870P MAX) instead of to an econo 870 Express.
Hawk 982 with ghost ring sights - $200. Rem 870P with GRS - $725

The 870P is a more refined shotgun than the Hawk 982 but it cost over 3 times as much. It's not any more durable or reliable.

982 has:

*Thicker steel receiver
*Better shell lifter/carrier design
*Nicer more durable machine aluminum trigger guard, compressed aluminum guard on the 870P. The newer 870P shotguns have plastic guards.
*Machine ejector & extractor like the 870P
*The Ghost ring sights on the 982 are nicer and more durable than the Wilson/Trijicon exposed GRS on the 870P
*The barrel ring is located higher up on the 982 which provides a place to put a mount for accessories (flashlight) It also allows for 5+1 rounds in the tube, 4+1 on the 870. It's better design for a tactical defense shotgun.

Remington could have dropped the Hawk Ind made Pardner Pump 870 style shotgun line when they purchased H&R NEF. They chose to keep it for a reason. They are big money makers because they have very low return %. The Pardner Pump & 982 are competition for the 870 Express and Remington knows that. Why try to beat the competition when you can own piece of it.

This is really a one sided discussion because I believe you have no experience with the Hawk 982.


GC
MAX100 is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 06:19 PM   #18
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
The Hawk 982 is a much better deal and more durable than the Mossberg 500. The Hawk 982 is about $100 less.

Hawk 982 has:

*Steel receiver - better more durable than aluminum receiver on the 500. Steel cost more to machine
*Nice set of ghost ring sights - GRS aren't cheap to purchase after market
*982 has a open mag tube - On the Mossberg 500 you have to remove the mag tube to clean it out or to replace the spring and follower and the standard 500 can't accept a tube extension.
*Machine aluminum trigger guard - plastic guard on the 500
*The 870 design is easier to take down and clean



Hawk 982 with ghost ring sights - $200. Rem 870P with GRS - $725

The 870P is a more refined shotgun than the Hawk 982 but it cost over 3 times as much. It's not any more durable or reliable.

982 has:

*Thicker steel receiver
*Better shell lifter/carrier design
*Nicer more durable machine aluminum trigger guard, compressed aluminum guard on the 870P. The newer 870P shotguns have plastic guards.
*Machine ejector & extractor like the 870P
*The Ghost ring sights on the 982 are nicer and more durable than the Wilson/Trijicon exposed GRS on the 870P
*The barrel ring is located higher up on the 982 which provides a place to put a mount for accessories (flashlight) It also allows for 5+1 rounds in the tube, 4+1 on the 870. It's better design for a tactical defense shotgun.
WOW!! 2 days before you responed. You've must of been googling/researching a lot.
Where do I mention the 500?
Is that the only low dough defense shotgun Mossberg makes?
Mossberg makes more tactical shotguns than you & H&R/NEF can shake a stick at. There's a reason for that!!
ok, so the Mossberg doesn't have an easy break-down, but it's not difficult either. What you can't handle it? Well, I'm sure the OP can.

The Chinese don't have the natural resources that we do in the USA. So where they have to make things out of "thicker steel" U.S. companies can machine parts from an aluminum forging and by using heat treatment to increase integrity making the parts lighter and rugged enough to get the job done. Don't even want to get started on what companies are doing with plastics nowadays. It will boggle your mind.

Hmmm, Aftermarket sights are better than Wilson Combat and Trijicon. This statement/thought is so pathetic that I won't waste my time explaining the facts.
The 870P MAX is the newest, higher end of the 870 line. So of course it won't compare in price, you missed my point. Dude, I don't know where you get prices at, but you need to shop around. A standard 870P w/ synthetic stock sells for less than 400 bucks. I've seen them as low as $299. How's that 3 times more? When you buy a product like Winchester, Remington you're buying the name, like Corvette & Harley Davidson. But of course you wouldn't know that because H&R/NEF never made a name for themselves even with Remington's help.
What's your point about mounted accessories?
Accessories can be mounted on 870P's & Mossberg's and not only flashlights. Some Mossberg's Special Purpose shotguns come with a 9 shot capacity before adding the extension. There's aftermarket shot extensions for the 870 allowing up to a 9 shot capacity. If you're defending yourself against an army it's inevitable you will have to reload at some certain point. You can ask any LEO or soldier and they will support my point.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
Remington could have dropped the Hawk Ind made Pardner Pump 870 style shotgun line when they purchased H&R NEF. They chose to keep it for a reason. They are big money makers because they have very low return %. The Pardner Pump & 982 are competition for the 870 Express and Remington knows that. Why try to beat the competition when you can own piece of it.
Dude? competition? Really!! Come on lets get real.
You need to understand Import/Export/Tarriffs, world trade & exchange, foreign markets, etc.
H&R/NEF went on the auctioning block so it was only wise that Remington buy All of H&R/NEF because of the past investments made through Remington. It comes down to cut the losses or buy the struggling company and give total help. Remington owns H&R/NEF fully not just a piece.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
This is really a one sided discussion because I believe you have no experience with the Hawk 982.
GC
Oblviously more than you can comprehend.
Again, your lack of knowledge is clearly on display.
MAX100, you're very annoying. This isn't the only time I've had to correct your misinformation. The last time was this --->http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/few-shotgun-questions-22663/index2.html
You need to start posting true facts instead of posting your opinions as facts. Keep doing google searches maybe if you read/comprehend enough you may gain some knowledge. Don't let ignorance prevail.
UnderFire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 07:23 PM   #19
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
DarinCraft's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2010
Location: CA
Posts: 1,170
Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post

This is really a one sided discussion because I believe you have no experience with the Hawk 982.


GC
Where is your experience with the 870? The Mossberg?

Enough is enough. All you are doing is repeating advertising points. You chastise earlier me to which you had no idea what you were talking about (so instead of arguing I just laughed and walked off) and now you are telling Underfire he does not know what he is talking about. You are reiterating the same point over and over again. You have mentioned the relationship between NEF, Remington and this other company very clearly many times. However, you have yet to address the statement about the quality of materials that Chinese companies use. China uses whatever materials they can get their hands on. If it happens to be good or bad, they don't care and this is probably the reason for their thicker receiver so they can get the same strength with cheaper materials. Steel is not Steel, there are so many different grades it's not funny.

Do we all need to actually own something to have experience with manufacturing downfalls of a particular country? What if it was made in Pakistan, Taiwan or India? Do we still need to own one? Do I need to go out an buy a Yugo to know it is a POS?

This has turned into someone arguing a point and you trying to justify your purchase of one. You've made your point, you like the gun thats great and I am glad it is a good gun-for you. Needless to say, if I bought a gun and it had a gritty action I sure as the hell wouldn't be praising it. But to say that it is better than the other no one can say for sure. It is clear you only own the hawk and we don't. We own 870's or 500's or 590's. The point is moot, the horse is dead. The OP isn't even responding anymore, hell he's probably not even reading it.
__________________
Quote:
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 02-27-2010 at 07:50 PM.
DarinCraft is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2010, 11:22 PM   #20
Feedback Score: 0 reviews
 
Join Date: Apr 2009
Posts: 973
Default

Quote:
Originally Posted by DarinCraft View Post
However, you have yet to address the statement about the quality of materials that Chinese companies use. China uses whatever materials they can get their hands on.
Good Point-
I mean after all the Chinese can't even make safe dog food for dogs to eat.
Their drywall is dangerous. Their shotguns are known to have problems.
I'm just saying...
UnderFire is offline  
 
Reply With Quote
Reply


Tags
12 ga., pump, shotgun
Thread Tools
Display Modes


Similar Threads
Thread Thread Starter Firearms Forum Replies Last Post
Savage 755a Semi automatic 12 gauge Shotgun and Stevens Model 67 Pump action 410gauge firejeff67 General Shotgun Discussion 4 12-01-2012 01:08 PM
Pump-Action revolver shotgun Cutaway DIY Projects 15 06-11-2011 10:32 PM
Norenco Model 372 Pump Shotgun RONSERESURPLUS General Shotgun Discussion 1 08-21-2010 12:08 PM



Newest Threads