Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Hawk 12 ga. Pump defense shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2010, 07:48 AM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default Hawk 12 ga. Pump defense shotgun

is this knock of of a 870 even worth purchasing? i hear mixed reviews. is the price to good to be true? do ya get what ya pay for?

HAWK 12 GA. PUMP DEFENSE SHOTGUN

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-22-2010, 07:49 AM   #2

Default ghost ring?

and they claim to come with ghost ring sights.... cant be tritium can it? i thought that costs as much as they are asking for the riot gun?

Old 02-22-2010, 05:22 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2686 Times on 1405 Posts
Likes Given: 216

I could not see any details about where they are made. Norinco (China)?

I do not know about parts interchangability with Remington.

If they are from Norinco, they had some issues with gritty actions on the Win 97 copies a few years ago.

The 870 is not my favorite platform. Give me a Winchester 1300 (FN)

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 02-23-2010, 05:09 AM   #4

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

+1 on Robo's post. In addition, I would not trust a knock off. A lot of times they use inferior materials. Although, it might be identical to the 870 in platform, the quality is just not there. Take it from for what it is worth, but if you were willing to spend the money on a Saiga, then I would spend that on an American pump. The 1300, 870, 500 and 590 are all great choices and will not let you down.

When you are talking 12 ga especially with defense loads the gun takes a lot of abuse. This is the what breaks the cheaper guns. There are some guns you can go a little cheaper on like the hi points, but when it comes to something like a shotty you need to remember this will probably be the most used gun in your collection. They are truly multipurpose. I know that if my 590 or 1100 breaks, I can call Brownells or Midway and get parts. Can you do that when the knockoff breaks?

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-23-2010, 05:15 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Leavingplatoscomphycave View Post
and they claim to come with ghost ring sights.... cant be tritium can it? i thought that costs as much as they are asking for the riot gun?
Ghost ring is a type of sight and tritium is an insert for all types of sight that make them visible at night. In answer, no ghost ring does not mean tritium.
"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Old 02-23-2010, 06:08 AM   #6

The Hawk Ind 982 is a well made 870 style shotgun. It's better made than the budget 870 Express. The 982 has been in the US for over 10 years now and it has been proved to be a very durable and reliable defense shotgun. Do your research, there aren't any mix reviews, 98% are all good from the ones who "own" them. Many don't like them because they are made in China and the fact is they have never owned and know nothing about them. Remington NEF also sells there own version that's made by Hawk Ind, the NEF Pardner Pump. It's the same shotgun as the 982 with a different style receiver.

Machined extractor & ejector like the 870P
Thick very durable Rynite polymer stock not hollow, nice recoil pad that is held on by machine screws & brass inserts, not wood screws in plastic
Parkerized finish
Nice ghost ring sights
"All" 870 parts will fit
Thicker hardened steel receiver than the 870
They aren't pretty, they have a utility tactical shotgun look to them that I like. They are a great beater shotgun that can take the punishment. The action is a little gritty but very easy to smooth out because it's an 870 action.

It's the best deal in a defense shotgun out there.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; 02-23-2010 at 06:37 AM.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:20 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
The Hawk Ind 982 is a well made 870 style shotgun. It's better made than the budget 870 Express. The 982 has been in the US for over 10 years now and it has been proved to be a very durable and reliable defense shotgun. Do your research, there aren't any mix reviews, 98% are all good from the ones who "own" them. Many don't like them because they are made in China and the fact is they have never owned and know nothing about them. Remington NEF also sells there own version that's made by Hawk Ind, the NEF Pardner Pump. It's the same shotgun as the 982 with a different style receiver.

Machined extractor & ejector like the 870P
Thick very durable Rynite polymer stock with a nice recoil pad that is held on by machine screws & brass inserts, not wood screws in plastic
Parkerized finish
Nice ghost ring sights
"All" 870 parts will fit
Thicker hardened steel receiver than the 870
They aren't pretty, they have a utility tactical shotgun look to them that I like. They are a great beater shotgun that can take the punishment. The action is a little gritty but very easy to smooth out because it's an 870 action.

It's the best deal in a defense shotgun out there.

GC
I firmly believe you can disagree without attacking the merit or experience of the person who disagrees with you. You can respectfully disagree, but the key word is respectfully. He asked our opinion and we gave it.

I am glad you have experience with them and give a positive opinion. If you are telling the truth then he should purchase one and be as happy as you are. From what you wrote they sound like a very nice gun and hopefully will withstand the test of time.
Thomas Jefferson

Last edited by DarinCraft; 02-23-2010 at 06:29 AM.

Old 02-23-2010, 06:43 AM   #8

Quote:
I would not trust a knock off. A lot of times they use inferior materials. Although, it might be identical to the 870 in platform, the quality is just not there.
How can make a statement like that with no experience to go on.

Quote:
hopefully will withstand the test of time.
They aren't new out. They have been in the US for about 11 years with thousands sold. To me that's withstanding the test time. Guns & Ammo magazine gave the Hawk 98, same shotgun, a very good review 10 years ago in their July 2000 issue.

GC

Last edited by MAX100; 02-23-2010 at 07:18 AM.

Old 02-24-2010, 01:13 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by MAX100 View Post
How can make a statement like that with no experience to go on.

They aren't new out. They have been in the US for about 11 years with thousands sold. To me that's withstanding the test time. Guns & Ammo magazine gave the Hawk 98, same shotgun, a very good review 10 years ago in their July 2000 issue.

GC
I see you completely missed the point of my statement, so answering your question would be moot. Have a nice day.
Thomas Jefferson

Old 02-24-2010, 02:04 AM   #10

i wantto buy a pistol and forend grip frmy 982 shotgun . the remington 870 pistol and forend grip will ft it right?

Tags
12 ga., pump, shotgun