You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

Having trouble unloading shells

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-11-2012, 05:41 AM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1 Times on 1 Posts

Are u sure your forend is all the way forward when u do that?

Old 02-11-2012, 05:42 AM   #12

Liked 783 Times on 453 Posts
Likes Given: 499

Quote:
Originally Posted by RomeSC View Post
Interesting. Yes his elevator looks similar, and his did catch ever so slightly one time. The next two shells he unloads in that fashion don't catch. The pictures I posted show that there is a considerable part of the shell that catches in the elevator.

This mossberg came fully assembled in the box when it arrived at my FFL. I'll have the read up on how to remove the barrel, what type of oil I'm supposed to buy, how to apply it and then how to reinstall the barrel.

I just didn't want to bother with all of that if the elevator is defective and will need to be returned to mossberg. If that needs to happen the sooner the better. I have read stories online of people waiting 2-3 months before receiving their gun back from mossberg service...
Mossberg barrel comes off real easy, unscrew the nut on the end of the mag tube and slide it out.

Remoil or Mobil 1 for that matter works fine. Either break the action down and wipe each part down or use your finger to spread a few drop around and cycle the action. If 2-3 months is the norm, an elevator assembly is a $30 "drop in" part at Midway or Brownells.

http://www.midwayusa.com/product/555627/mossberg-elevator-assembly-mossberg-500-a-12-gauge-590
"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-11-2012, 11:35 AM   #13

Liked 235 Times on 175 Posts

I think you are worrying over nothing. As long as the shot exits the barrel like it should when you pull the trigger and reloads when you cycle the action, I wouldn't worry about having to wiggle a shell to unload the magazine from the bottom. I can unload my 870 in similar fashion, but I just run them thru the action. If you are worried about running them thru the chamber (I wouldn't worry one iota) just don't close the action all the way and the interrupter will not let the hammer fall anyway.

Old 02-11-2012, 03:00 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginian View Post
I think you are worrying over nothing. As long as the shot exits the barrel like it should when you pull the trigger and reloads when you cycle the action, I wouldn't worry about having to wiggle a shell to unload the magazine from the bottom. I can unload my 870 in similar fashion, but I just run them thru the action. If you are worried about running them thru the chamber (I wouldn't worry one iota) just don't close the action all the way and the interrupter will not let the hammer fall anyway.
Well I think that since the gun is supposed to allow for unloading this way (and it is the preferred method according to the manual) that it should actually work out of the box. $400 is a lot of money to me and my wife, and if I'm buying something new than it should work as intended and as the manual says it should.

The bigger immediate concern is that the elevator is being heavily scraped by the shell as it goes in. I don't know enough about shotgun shells to know if putting sideways pressure on the shell by having the elevator push on the side of the shell while it loads into the magazine is dangerous. All I know is that it isn't supposed to happen so it shouldn't be.

I appreciate the link to the elevator "drop in part", although it is out of stock. But there's no reason to believe it isn't a different part in the gun preventing the elevator from going all the way up and out of the way. And I don't have $30 to waste without knowing.

I suppose I could bring it to the FFL I picked it up from and see if they would be willing to give it a look over, but who knows if they will charge me...

Old 02-11-2012, 03:19 PM   #15

Liked 1857 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 2005

Why not just pull the slide back let the round fall onto the feed tray tip the shotgun over & dump it out & repeat ??????????????

Old 02-11-2012, 03:38 PM   #16

I have owned several M500's and I had the following problem w/ everyone of them. When the forearm was pulled back, a shell from the magazine would occasionally, not everytime, but often enough to make it frustrating and aggravating, drop out onto the ground instead of going into the chamber. I believe the design of the action is inherent to this malfunction because the shell elevator does not always come down fast enough to catch the next shell. When I wanted a rugged inexpensive pump shotgun for duck hunting, I got a Benelli Nova. I have never had a problem since.
cottontop

Old 02-11-2012, 10:58 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by 303tom View Post
Why not just pull the slide back let the round fall onto the feed tray tip the shotgun over & dump it out & repeat ??????????????
Because I'm not supposed to have to do that. I bought it new, it should be fully functional in compliance with the owner's manual. Maybe that makes me weird, but I thnik things should function as they are supposed to when I spend my hard earned money on them.

Old 02-12-2012, 05:27 AM   #18

Liked 357 Times on 235 Posts
Likes Given: 28

Prefered method per manual?
Or is it prefered method in manual put forth by legal representation?

That way if you do it differently, and something happens, you can't sue them..............

Really, get the round on the carrier and don't chamber it, just flip the gun to the side and dump it out like others suggest.

Maybe the ammo you have is a little larger OD and it doesn't allow for enough wiggle to get past the tab with moderate thumb pressure.

I dunno, never unload my shotguns that way, and gave up on Mossberg a long time ago.

Old 02-12-2012, 02:08 PM   #19

Liked 1857 Times on 1240 Posts
Likes Given: 2005

Old 02-12-2012, 04:07 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hookeye View Post
Prefered method per manual?
Or is it prefered method in manual put forth by legal representation?

That way if you do it differently, and something happens, you can't sue them..............

Really, get the round on the carrier and don't chamber it, just flip the gun to the side and dump it out like others suggest.

Maybe the ammo you have is a little larger OD and it doesn't allow for enough wiggle to get past the tab with moderate thumb pressure.

I dunno, never unload my shotguns that way, and gave up on Mossberg a long time ago.

I understand and its definitely another way to unload it. I would love it if anyone can also speak to my concern about the shell rims scraping the elevator as they are fed into the magazine. It puts pressure on the side of the shell and I am nervous that it can be a safety concern. Nothing should be scarping anything. That is the reason I am more upset, because it appears something isn't laying correctly inside the gun possibly preventing the elevator from laying flat.

If its a safety issue to have that pressure put on the shell while loading it needs to be addressed and is more of a problem than the unloading technique.