Having trouble deciding on a new (tactical) shotgun... - Page 2
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Having trouble deciding on a new (tactical) shotgun...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-10-2010, 01:04 PM   #11
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jpyle View Post
If you are going with optics why not forgo the ghost ring sights. The front sight is usually permanently welded to the barrel.
I knooow . The thing is, I (like most people) like the idea of KISS for a defensive weapon, and ghost-ring sights are a simple and reliable way to still have pretty good accuracy (easily matching that of a red-dot), without all the short-comings of a ring-mounted, battery-operated optic. I don't feel like I would immediately be as successful with them as with a red-dot, but like I said, I think I could learn them with a little practice.

Plus, I am worried if I get one without the GRS and immediately add optics, I might eventually want to try the GRS, and then I'd have to have the front post professionally installed by a gun-smith, not to mention having to buy the sights aftermarket. And, I feel like without a lot of money into the install, they would never be as secure as if installed from the factory.

So, I will try them out and, if I really just can't make it work, I will go the optic route.

Deathricket, I think I would go with the Compstock specifically for that reason. My GF's M500 has a PG buttstock on it, and I cut off the area of the stock just behind the trigger guard to allow the trigger or middle finger to reach around behind the guard (between the guard and the grip) to hit the button. But, it was ultimately designed for use with a standard Monte-Carlo-type stock, so that is what I'd like to stick with.

And yeah, the 20g has a perfectly good slug selection, which is what still draws me to it. I also like the idea of a 20g in that it wouldn't require a knoxx stock. The money there isn't a huge concern, but again, desiring simplicity means a basic stock will be more durable than a spring-loaded one, and could even be used as a last-ditch weapon unlike the Knoxx stocks (a good buttstroke would likely break both the target's jaw and the stock itself). Of course, the lack of large buckshot makes it hard for me to go that route, and that it isn't the 590a1 doesn't make me want it any more either, heh.

Aarg.

Old 02-13-2010, 02:58 AM   #12

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

I know this is worthless without pics, but I just brought home that model 51663 590A1 . I also picked up a scope rail since it was only like $8. So, I will toy with both the red-dots and the ghost-rings and see which one I like.

I thought a lot more about going 20g, but did some more searching and actually did find some reduced-recoil loads that would give about the same recoil as your average 2.75" 20g buck or slug load, and actually at a lower price. Plus, the 590A1 is like a pound heavier. Plus it is just much cooler in general :-P .

Thanks for your advice.

Old 02-13-2010, 03:03 AM   #13
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1176 Times on 511 Posts
Likes Given: 2978

I installed Mossberg factory ghostrings on mine. They are good stuff. Easy and very fast to acquire.
“If ye love wealth better than liberty, the tranquility of servitude better than the animating contest of freedom, go home from us in peace. We ask not your counsels or arms. Crouch down and lick the hands which feed you. May your chains set lightly upon you, and may posterity forget that ye were our countrymen.”Samuel Adams

Old 02-14-2010, 01:57 PM   #14

Liked 4 Times on 4 Posts

Yesterday when lugging the new shotgun out of the car, I had a "forehead slap" moment. Apparently the zipper wasn't closed all the way, and when I stood up to go inside, the gun wormed its way out and, with a few loud clacks, found its way to the pavement. Gaah. I didn't have the stock on it as I had removed it to go fit some recoil pads at Academy, so it landed right on the top edge of the tang behind the safety and put a nice little ding in the receiver. Gaah.

Do you think good optics / rings can withstand falls like that? If I am going to put optics on a "tactical" shotgun, I want to make sure it will not only survive the occasional bump and fall, but stay zeroed as well!

Old 02-15-2010, 06:22 PM   #15

Just my 2 cents: I would always choose 12 gauge over 20. Especially for HD. More power is always better.

I have a Moss 500 12g tac and an 870. Love them both, and both have held up great. I can't think of one thing I don't like about the 870. As for the Moss, I don't like the safety lever - too hard to push compared to the 870. Also, I don't like the placement of the pump action release switch on the 500 compared to the 870 - a minor point, but one of personal preference.