Having trouble deciding on a new (tactical) shotgun...
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > Having trouble deciding on a new (tactical) shotgun...

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-09-2010, 03:22 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Default Having trouble deciding on a new (tactical) shotgun...

I'll say first I have no planned hunting duties with this shotgun. In a survival situation I MIGHT keep some turkey loads or something for the occasional squirrel or something, but it would not be a priority.

I do not personally own a centerfire long gun (my GF has a Mossberg 500 in .410, though).

I don't really want an 870, due both to personal experience and to things learned from research. Mostly the reasons are outlined here:
http://www.members.tripod.com/~jth8260/870.html
In any case, I like the looks and controls of the mossbergs better, and since I already own a Mossberg and have previously owned a Maverick 88, I would prefer to stick to the familiar platform.

However, I have several desired choices, both in platform and gauge.

I like the Mossberg 590A1 series, with their heavier barrels (recoil reduction), and nicer features (metal trigger assembly, extended / disassemblable mag tube, drilled and tapped receiver).

However, I am also considering a 20g, largely because I like the idea of being able to target shoot slugs from a bench or bipod without leaving my shoulder in pieces at the range. If I get a 20g, I will probably just get the Maverick 88 version as it is pretty much half the price but has mostly all the same important features.

The things I don't like about the 20g are the obviously smaller selection of defensive ammo, and the lack of extended-capacity models available from Mossberg (they are all 5+1). For defensive purposes I really like the larger shot sizes (00 to 000) for more consistent penetration, which are not available in 20g (the largest I've found is #2 buck).

I am leaning toward the 590a1 with a Knoxx Stock and a good butt pad. What do you guys think?

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 02-09-2010, 04:15 PM   #2

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

"Enjoying a long-standing relationship with the U.S. armed forces, Mossberg is the manufacturer of the only 12 gauge pump action shotgun ever to pass the stringent U.S. Military Mil-Spec 3443 standard. Now, Mossberg will make available select 590A1 models to the general public."

Get it!!
Use it!!

Love it!!

Or spend a lot more extra scratch on a Benelli M4 Tactical Shotgun.

IMHO, the Mossy will do ya, and do ya well!

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-09-2010, 04:45 PM   #3

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by IGETEVEN View Post
"Enjoying a long-standing relationship with the U.S. armed forces, Mossberg is the manufacturer of the only 12 gauge pump action shotgun ever to pass the stringent U.S. Military Mil-Spec 3443 standard. Now, Mossberg will make available select 590A1 models to the general public."

Get it!!
Use it!!

Love it!!

Or spend a lot more extra scratch on a Benelli M4 Tactical Shotgun.

IMHO, the Mossy will do ya, and do ya well!

Jack
Couldn't agree more.

Old 02-09-2010, 04:54 PM   #4

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

I know most of the features (scope mount, heat shield, etc) can be added to cheaper models, but the 590a1's achievement's as a tough-as-nails shotgun can't be ignored, and is largely why I'm willing to pay the premium for it over an M500 or especially a Mav88.

Would you guys say Parkerizing is worth an extra $25?

Last edited by Lindenwood; 02-09-2010 at 06:03 PM.

Old 02-09-2010, 07:16 PM   #5

Mossberg 590A1 18.5" barrel, ghost ring sights, 5+1 capacity and add a tube extension for 7+1 if you like.

Hawk 982 with ghost ring sights is an excellent lower cost choice, as well. It's an 870 copy so it's very easy to take down and clean. All 870 parts will fit and it's a very reliable & durable defense shotgun.

GC

Old 02-09-2010, 07:52 PM   #6

Liked 27 Times on 21 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Would you guys say Parkerizing is worth an extra $25?
Indeed. Sure, parkerized is the way to go for a durable finish, tough to beat IMO.

Jack

ΜΟΛΩΝ ΛΑΒΕ!

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter." - Hemingway

“The greatest ignorance is to reject something you know nothing about.”

Old 02-10-2010, 12:17 AM   #7

Liked 23 Times on 11 Posts
Likes Given: 6

I personally am building my fourth "black" shotgun which is an 1100. However I would not trust my life with this one, which is why it is my fourth.

My first is a Mossy 500 that I converted to 590 and put a heavy 18" barrel a surefire fore end, Hogue stock ghost rings and a sidesaddle. I will trust the life of me and my family with this weapon. Problems are the plastic trigger housing and aluminum receiver. Excuse the pic, I don't have a recent one since I painted the receiver and got a decent dig cam.

My next two were Saiga S12's. These are sledge hammer autos. they will take anything you can throw at them due to their AK design.

I also used a 870 at work and did not like the weapon. The weight, the balance, everything about it I didn't like. If I were you I would not hesitate on the Mossy 590 A1. Your reasonings for wanting a 20 ga are good and I wouldn't let anyone convince you otherwise. I am a recoil whore which is why I shoot only full power 00. If you are not like that then a 20 ga is a great choice, but before you concrete that decision shoot "managed or reduced recoil loads." They have pretty much the same recoil as a full power 20 ga load with more lead.

Hope this helps you out.

"A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise and independence to the mind. Games played with the ball, and others of that nature, are too violent for the body and stamp no character on the mind. Let your gun therefore be your constant companion of your walks."
Thomas Jefferson
From the great speaker...er uh Barak Obongo

"Liberals make great proctologists. They're the only ones who truly know what the inside of an anus looks like."~me

Last edited by DarinCraft; 02-11-2010 at 02:51 AM.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:11 AM   #8

Liked 2 Times on 2 Posts

Ok, I think Im gonna go for this one:
Mossberg 51663 590A1 12ga 9SH HBGSRNG for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $464.00

590a1, parkerized finish, ghost-ring sights.

I think I will also give those sights a try before adding any optics. I learned how to use the sights on my pistol so I figure I'll be able to do so on this.

Old 02-10-2010, 02:53 AM   #9

Liked 762 Times on 441 Posts
Likes Given: 457

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lindenwood View Post
Ok, I think Im gonna go for this one:
Mossberg 51663 590A1 12ga 9SH HBGSRNG for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $464.00

590a1, parkerized finish, ghost-ring sights.

I think I will also give those sights a try before adding any optics. I learned how to use the sights on my pistol so I figure I'll be able to do so on this.
If you are going with optics why not forgo the ghost ring sights. The front sight is usually permanently welded to the barrel.

"The whole of the Bill (of Rights) is a declaration of the right of the people at large or considered as individuals.... It establishes some rights of the individual as unalienable and which consequently, no majority has a right to deprive them of." (Albert Gallatin of the New York Historical Society, October 7, 1789)

"A free people ought not only to be armed and disciplined, but they should have sufficient arms and ammunition to maintain a status of independence from any who might attempt to abuse them, which would include their own government." - George Washington

Old 02-10-2010, 03:18 AM   #10

Liked 98 Times on 59 Posts
Likes Given: 108

I have a 590 and for a while i had the knoxx stock on it and it was a joy to shoot. I never had a problem with the heavy loads hitting my shoulder to hard, one thing i will note and its just preference is the forearm release do hickey behind the trigger guard is a pain to get to, you have to flip the shotty on its side and and slide your hand around to hit it, but like i said its all preference. If you want some kick ass anti zombie ammo look into the brenneke black magic slugs, i think you will be very happy with the ballistics data they also have a hard hitter for 20 to. i use their ammo for my 590 and i love it.