Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   Having trouble deciding on a new (tactical) shotgun... (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/having-trouble-deciding-new-tactical-shotgun-23215/)

Lindenwood 02-09-2010 03:22 PM

Having trouble deciding on a new (tactical) shotgun...

I'll say first I have no planned hunting duties with this shotgun. In a survival situation I MIGHT keep some turkey loads or something for the occasional squirrel or something, but it would not be a priority.

I do not personally own a centerfire long gun (my GF has a Mossberg 500 in .410, though).

I don't really want an 870, due both to personal experience and to things learned from research. Mostly the reasons are outlined here:
http://www.members.tripod.com/~jth8260/870.html
In any case, I like the looks and controls of the mossbergs better, and since I already own a Mossberg and have previously owned a Maverick 88, I would prefer to stick to the familiar platform.

However, I have several desired choices, both in platform and gauge.

I like the Mossberg 590A1 series, with their heavier barrels (recoil reduction), and nicer features (metal trigger assembly, extended / disassemblable mag tube, drilled and tapped receiver).

However, I am also considering a 20g, largely because I like the idea of being able to target shoot slugs from a bench or bipod without leaving my shoulder in pieces at the range. If I get a 20g, I will probably just get the Maverick 88 version as it is pretty much half the price but has mostly all the same important features.

The things I don't like about the 20g are the obviously smaller selection of defensive ammo, and the lack of extended-capacity models available from Mossberg (they are all 5+1). For defensive purposes I really like the larger shot sizes (00 to 000) for more consistent penetration, which are not available in 20g (the largest I've found is #2 buck).

I am leaning toward the 590a1 with a Knoxx Stock and a good butt pad. What do you guys think?

IGETEVEN 02-09-2010 04:15 PM

"Enjoying a long-standing relationship with the U.S. armed forces, Mossberg is the manufacturer of the only 12 gauge pump action shotgun ever to pass the stringent U.S. Military Mil-Spec 3443 standard. Now, Mossberg will make available select 590A1 models to the general public."

Get it!!
Use it!!

Love it!!

Or spend a lot more extra scratch on a Benelli M4 Tactical Shotgun.

IMHO, the Mossy will do ya, and do ya well! ;)

Jack

suprdave 02-09-2010 04:45 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by IGETEVEN (Post 227325)
"Enjoying a long-standing relationship with the U.S. armed forces, Mossberg is the manufacturer of the only 12 gauge pump action shotgun ever to pass the stringent U.S. Military Mil-Spec 3443 standard. Now, Mossberg will make available select 590A1 models to the general public."

Get it!!
Use it!!

Love it!!

Or spend a lot more extra scratch on a Benelli M4 Tactical Shotgun.

IMHO, the Mossy will do ya, and do ya well! ;)

Jack

Couldn't agree more.

Lindenwood 02-09-2010 04:54 PM

I know most of the features (scope mount, heat shield, etc) can be added to cheaper models, but the 590a1's achievement's as a tough-as-nails shotgun can't be ignored, and is largely why I'm willing to pay the premium for it over an M500 or especially a Mav88.

Would you guys say Parkerizing is worth an extra $25?

MAX100 02-09-2010 07:16 PM

Mossberg 590A1 18.5" barrel, ghost ring sights, 5+1 capacity and add a tube extension for 7+1 if you like.

Hawk 982 with ghost ring sights is an excellent lower cost choice, as well. It's an 870 copy so it's very easy to take down and clean. All 870 parts will fit and it's a very reliable & durable defense shotgun.

GC

IGETEVEN 02-09-2010 07:52 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindenwood (Post 227367)
Would you guys say Parkerizing is worth an extra $25?

Indeed. Sure, parkerized is the way to go for a durable finish, tough to beat IMO.

Jack

DarinCraft 02-10-2010 12:17 AM

I personally am building my fourth "black" shotgun which is an 1100. However I would not trust my life with this one, which is why it is my fourth.

My first is a Mossy 500 that I converted to 590 and put a heavy 18" barrel a surefire fore end, Hogue stock ghost rings and a sidesaddle. I will trust the life of me and my family with this weapon. Problems are the plastic trigger housing and aluminum receiver. Excuse the pic, I don't have a recent one since I painted the receiver and got a decent dig cam.

http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/c...0226092230.jpg

My next two were Saiga S12's. These are sledge hammer autos. they will take anything you can throw at them due to their AK design.

http://i525.photobucket.com/albums/c...f/IMG_0122.jpg

I also used a 870 at work and did not like the weapon. The weight, the balance, everything about it I didn't like. If I were you I would not hesitate on the Mossy 590 A1. Your reasonings for wanting a 20 ga are good and I wouldn't let anyone convince you otherwise. I am a recoil whore which is why I shoot only full power 00. If you are not like that then a 20 ga is a great choice, but before you concrete that decision shoot "managed or reduced recoil loads." They have pretty much the same recoil as a full power 20 ga load with more lead.

Hope this helps you out.

Lindenwood 02-10-2010 02:11 AM

Ok, I think Im gonna go for this one:
Mossberg 51663 590A1 12ga 9SH HBGSRNG for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $464.00

590a1, parkerized finish, ghost-ring sights.

I think I will also give those sights a try before adding any optics. I learned how to use the sights on my pistol so I figure I'll be able to do so on this.

Jpyle 02-10-2010 02:53 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Lindenwood (Post 227794)
Ok, I think Im gonna go for this one:
Mossberg 51663 590A1 12ga 9SH HBGSRNG for Sale at Buds Gun Shop $464.00

590a1, parkerized finish, ghost-ring sights.

I think I will also give those sights a try before adding any optics. I learned how to use the sights on my pistol so I figure I'll be able to do so on this.

If you are going with optics why not forgo the ghost ring sights. The front sight is usually permanently welded to the barrel.

deathkricket 02-10-2010 03:18 AM

I have a 590 and for a while i had the knoxx stock on it and it was a joy to shoot. I never had a problem with the heavy loads hitting my shoulder to hard, one thing i will note and its just preference is the forearm release do hickey behind the trigger guard is a pain to get to, you have to flip the shotty on its side and and slide your hand around to hit it, but like i said its all preference. If you want some kick ass anti zombie ammo look into the brenneke black magic slugs, i think you will be very happy with the ballistics data :D they also have a hard hitter for 20 to. i use their ammo for my 590 and i love it.