H & r single shot shotgun
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion > H & r single shot shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-11-2010, 07:02 PM   #1
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Default H & r single shot shotgun

Hello, I am new to this forum and to guns in general. I just purchased a H & R SINGLE SHOT SHOTGUN, 16 GA., SN 196801, with a pat. date Feb 27, 1900.
From other answers I have read on this forum, especially by b.goforth, I understand that the 1900 is the model #, not the date of manufacture. Is there any way of telling what yr it was made by the SN 196801. I also assume it should not be fired, due to its age, even though the condition is good. Am I correct.
Also, what type of license, if any, should I have to own this and any other antique guns I may purchase later. Thank you for any responses.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 07-11-2010, 09:55 PM   #2

Liked 17 Times on 12 Posts

Quote:
Originally Posted by ebluebill View Post
Hello, I am new to this forum and to guns in general. I just purchased a H & R SINGLE SHOT SHOTGUN, 16 GA., SN 196801, with a pat. date Feb 27, 1900.
From other answers I have read on this forum, especially by b.goforth, I understand that the 1900 is the model #, not the date of manufacture. Is there any way of telling what yr it was made by the SN 196801. I also assume it should not be fired, due to its age, even though the condition is good. Am I correct.
Also, what type of license, if any, should I have to own this and any other antique guns I may purchase later. Thank you for any responses.
Pics might help. But, in most cases just because a gun is old, it does not mean it should not be fired. The case is unique to each gun. As far as the age, have you tried to contact H&R? They are now part of Marlin Arms, which is part of Remington, which is part of a huge conglomerate, but the records have been kept. Good luck.

I'm not sure of your state laws for gun registraion, etc. Most states do not have registration of firearms, especially for long guns. Check your local laws.

From C3Shooter:
Skullcrusher, you are evil, sick, demented, twisted- and my hero!

Quote:
Originally Posted by pandamonium View Post
...without the Second, we cannot protect the rest!

Old 07-11-2010, 10:06 PM   #3
FTF_MODERATOR.png
Feedback Score: 1 reviews

Liked 2989 Times on 1557 Posts
Likes Given: 277

Even if the patent date is 1900, most H&R's are far newer than that. Because they are inexpensive shooters, really old specimens are generally worn completely out and discarded. If it is not a rust bucket and seems to lock up fairly tight, take it to a competent gunsmith for a once over. If it gets a good bill of health, enjoy it.

In life, strive to take the high road....It offers a better field of fire.
"Robo is right" Fuzzball

Old 07-12-2010, 01:34 AM   #4

Quote:
Not sure about Maryland, but in Florida owners don't need licenses and firearms don't have to be registered. Only firearm permit in Florida I'm aware of is a CWP (Concealed Weapons Permit).

Old 07-13-2010, 03:01 AM   #5

Thanks to every ones quick reply. There is a new problem with sale so may not get it anyway, but I will be looking for another if not.

Old 07-13-2010, 03:12 AM   #6
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 83 Times on 54 Posts
Likes Given: 5

I'll echo robocop10mm. I've got one in 410 and I don't plan on selling it until it's unshootable. Where else can you get a nice 410 for $75 in like new condition?

If the pain is lacking so is the discipline...

"the only 911 call I need is chambering a round" - Mr. Muller, MO car dealer

Old 07-13-2010, 04:08 AM   #7

Quote:
Thanks to every ones quick reply. There is a new problem with sale so may not get it anyway, but I will be looking for another if not.
You can get brand new H&R and NEF single shot shottys with wood stocks for not very much money. Less than $300. I love them. Beautiful wood and good shooters. I hope you find one you want and like.

From C3Shooter:

Quote:

Old 07-13-2010, 06:05 AM   #8
FTF_MODERATOR.png

Liked 9509 Times on 4092 Posts
Likes Given: 1493

Quick note on old shotguns- special attention 16 g owners- Shot shells come in different lengths. While the standard length for 12, 16, and 20 is 2 and 3/4s, THAT WAS NOT ALWAYS SO. The 16 g USED to have a standard length of 2 and 9/16th. The longer shell WILL chamber- but is unsafe to shoot in a short chambered gun.

Before deciding to shoot ANY firearm that is older than yer daddy, it is a really good idea to have a competent smith take a look, and see if you are about to explore that double indemnity clause on your life insurance policy.

I DO have some guns that I shoot that were made in the EIGHTEEN hundreds- but they are in very good condition- AND get fed the correct ammo.

'Scuse me- I will go put my soapbox away now........

What we have here is... failure- to communicate.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:08 PM   #9

Thanks again for the advice. I would never shoot an older gun without it being checked out first also.
There is one thing I dont understand though. Why do all the auction houses demand a FFL from collectors/individuals in order to purchase an "antique" firearm. This is the problem I am having at the moment with this purchase.

Old 07-13-2010, 04:20 PM   #10

Firearms manufactured after 1898 (I believe) need to be transferred through FFL. Just because it is an antique does not mean it is old enough to not have to go through FFL.

From C3Shooter:

Quote: