Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com

Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/)
-   General Shotgun Discussion (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/)
-   -   H&R pardner pump protector (http://www.firearmstalk.com/forums/f26/h-r-pardner-pump-protector-32622/)

fangus 10-05-2010 12:07 AM

H&R pardner pump protector

has anyone had any experience with this shotgun, are more then one type of barrel available for them?

Benning Boy 10-05-2010 12:36 AM

Got one, love it. Have shot everything out of it accurately, never an issue. Great price, one of the world's better kept secrets.

Don't know about extra barrels, but since this is primarily a "tactical" gun, I'm not sure you'd want to use anything but the 18.5 that's on there.

Alchemist 10-05-2010 01:20 AM

I don't remember if this forum allows such links but I'll try this link to the H&R Pardner Pump page... I have the 18 1/2" bbl. Protector model (the bottom one listed)... It's heavy but dependable and well-enough made for the price. They're produced in China but that doesn't bother me (though the moniker "New England Firearms" is kind of a hoot in this case).
Click below:
H&R PardnerŪ Pump

jbs7976 10-31-2010 11:17 PM

Bought one for my son, liked it so much I bought one for my self.1st was $150.00 second was $169.00.
Added a scope and sighted in at 75 yards ,can keep 4" pattern. using the KO Brenneke slugs.Good enough for deer hunting for me.
Kept the other as is, locked and loaded for HD.Both are good reliable shooters.Thats why Remington bought out marlin,NEF,and HR.
Picked up a mossy 500 with rifled barrel and scope for the kid,he likes it.Used but the mossy may need a replacement elevator as the feed is inconsistant and occasionally created feeding problems($200..
jsmith

NGIB 11-05-2010 12:03 PM

While I was in Walmart yesterday waiting on the pharmacy, I took a good look at one of these. It was priced at $159 with plastic furniture and looked solid and well built. For the price, I'd get one of these in a heartbeat for a home defense gun...

ta1588 11-07-2010 05:53 AM

GET ONE! They're great! never hiccups, solid as a rock! Wish I had the carbon fiber dip stock set on the one at the end of the page!

igordog 11-12-2010 12:29 AM

I've got one...I'm not a gun "expert" (that's why I'm here; to learn) but I love it. It's my home defense gun and I feel safe and secure with it around.

Greebo 11-12-2010 02:11 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Benning Boy (Post 362936)
Got one, love it. Have shot everything out of it accurately, never an issue. Great price, one of the world's better kept secrets.

Don't know about extra barrels, but since this is primarily a "tactical" gun, I'm not sure you'd want to use anything but the 18.5 that's on there.

+1 here, bought mine a while back without realising there was all this back forth on it, I just picked up a reasonably priced home defence shotgun and it's never let me down, taken everything from 00 to slug all without a single issue, love it.

igordog 11-12-2010 03:13 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by Greebo (Post 384790)
+1 here, bought mine a while back without realising there was all this back forth on it, I just picked up a reasonably priced home defence shotgun and it's never let me down, taken everything from 00 to slug all without a single issue, love it.

See, as a gun "newbie" this is something that I was unsure of...Is the Pardner Protector capable of firing slugs? I've just been firing shot rounds when I go out.
I thought that you had to have a "rifled" barrel or something? Mine has a "smooth" barrel...
Can you (or someone else) please explain this to me, and if it is OK to fire slugs from it, what type/size/etc..?

Alchemist 11-12-2010 03:35 PM

Quote:

Originally Posted by igordog (Post 384984)
See, as a gun "newbie" this is something that I was unsure of...Is the Pardner Protector capable of firing slugs? I've just been firing shot rounds when I go out. I thought that you had to have a "rifled" barrel or something? Mine has a "smooth" barrel... Can you (or someone else) please explain this to me, and if it is OK to fire slugs from it, what type/size/etc..?

Yeah, it's totally OK... Most of the slugs you buy nowadays HAVE "RIFLING" ON THEM so they get a spin for better accuracy THAT way. Let's see... right now I have Federal Power-Shoks... Says right on the box... "For use in smooth bore shotguns." I can see the big fat ol' slug sitting right there in front. (Jeeesh, I'd hate to be shot with that thing....)
Click these if you want more reading:

Slug barrel - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Shotgun - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

http://www.realtree.com/forums/showthread.php?t=68346