H D shotgun
You are Unregistered, please register to use all of the features of FirearmsTalk.com!    
Firearm & Gun Forum - FireArmsTalk.com > Long Guns > General Shotgun Discussion >

H D shotgun

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2014, 11:42 PM   #1
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png
Feedback Score: 0 reviews

Liked 1449 Times on 859 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Default H D shotgun

I got an email from a friend on a car forum that went something like this. "You are the only gun guy I know, I am looking for a home defense shotgun that my wife would be able to handle. Would a .410 be ok?

I replied that it might do the job but I would be more comfortable with a 20 gauge. His wife is about 5'5"-5'7" and pretty thin, but the couple times I have been around her she doesn't seem like a wimp. I explained the different actions and the plusses and minuses of each in a HD situation, and offered to let him try out my shotguns (pump, semi-auto, o/u, and bolt.)but they are all 12 gauge and with my lightest trap loads the recoil is pretty negligable. He accepted my offer when it warms up around here.

I was at a gun show today and saw a Maverick pump that was very inexpensive, then I did a search on this site and it seems that a maverick is basically a Mossberg assembled in the USA of foreign parts, and this would suit his needs very well. It seemed well built to me but after being out of regular shooting for a few years I may not be the expert I once thought I was. I am thinking about recommending it to him as an inexpensive option for what he wants to do.

My goal is to slowly drag him into shooting sports, he is originally from New York and has been somewhat conditioned to the anti-gun mentality of those parts. He sorta knows that mentality is wrong but doesn't know exactly why it is wrong. I need to bring him along slowly so he doesn't resort to the NY state of mind on gun rights.

Your thoughts on the maverick, and on my goal are respectfully requested, I was a fairly skilled trap shooter, and a fair amount of black powder went through my cap n ball pistols before life got in the way! Life is out of the way now and I am looking forward to both trap and my pistols this summer!!

This post rambles some and I am sorry for that but I am trying to bring someone to the fold.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today - It's Free!

Are you a firearms enthusiast? Then we hope you will join the community. You will gain access to post, create threads, private message, upload images, join groups and more.

Firearms Talk is owned and operated by fellow firearms enthusiasts. We strive to offer a non-commercial community to learn and share information.

Join FirearmsTalk.com Today! - Click Here

Old 01-20-2014, 12:24 AM   #2

Liked 455 Times on 267 Posts

Default H D shotgun

I'd suggest a 20 gauge pump loaded with 8 shot. She'd be able to handle that no problem. Then take him and her out skeet shooting with your guns, specifically the semi and over/under. Set them both on station 7 and let them shoot shells specifically at low 7. Build their confidence and let them have fun and hopefully they will get interested in it and come back. Skeet is the greatest game ever and they will meet nice people. Keep things 'gentlemanly' and not tactical 'killing people' for a while. That's my 2 cents.
Polygon Likes This 
Old 01-20-2014, 01:05 AM   #3
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2654 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 14690

^^This^^. Good advice, and a method that should work.

i always knew I was a bit of a rarity in these parts. Born in CA, and I have spent the last 22 years in NY, and I am still not anti gun! Must be something wrong with me.

As to if I would recommend a maverick pump, in a word, yes. One of my first shotguns was a Maverick 88 I saved up for when I was 16. I gave my parents the cash for it, and they picked it up from a friend's shop down the road from us. That shotgun worked problem free for me for the first 15 years that I had it. The only issue I ever had with it was that the action bar (older model had only a single action bar) got worn down a little, and it would sometimes catch in it's groove in the receiver. A little seat equity with a stone, and a blueing touch up later it was working better than new.

I have the gun for a little more than 17 years, and I passed it on to a friend who needed a shotgun for his son to use while they were out hunting. They were in a seriously tight financial situation, and were hunting to keep the family fed so i gave him the shotgun to help them out. I am proud to say that it has functioned flawlessly for both father and son for the last 5 years, and I am sure that this will continue. They are as maintenance crazy as i am.

One plus side to the Maverick is that the only Mossberg parts that will not work on a Maverick are the trigger group, and the fore end. All the barrels (6 shot on 6 shot, and 8 on 8), stocks, sling swivels, scope mounts (1997 and newer Mossbergs are drilled and tapped, not sure on the Mavericks), shell holders, etc. will work with either shotgun. For the cost of a used model 500 or 870, one can pick up a new Model 88, and get a warranty on said new shotgun.

There is another reason that I gave up my old Maverick after I bought my 870. I am left eye dominant due to a 50% loss of sight in my right eye. Back when I was right eye dominant, the 88 fit perfectly. Left handed it never felt right, but a friend's 870 did. I bought mine, and the 88 started spending more time in the safe than out, so i figured it was time to pass it on to someone who would use it more than I did. It makes me happy knowing that it is back in the field, doing what I bought it for.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-20-2014, 01:17 AM   #4

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

I would not try to push your friends from NY into owning a gun. If you push to hard they will only back away. Let them shoot your guns like the New Yorkers own them. If they want to own a gun they will go out to buy a gun.

You claim to be an accomplished shot. You know there is a lot of work involved with becoming a good shooter. Either they will do the work or they won't. All you can do is be there if they want to do the work.

Old 01-20-2014, 03:52 AM   #5

Liked 2512 Times on 1477 Posts
Likes Given: 577

I think the Maverick is a decent gun. Let them ease into shooting at their own pace. I've taken a few new (and leery) shooters to the range because they were curious. I've found it was good to have some .22s around at a range session as well. It can introduce them gently to handguns and rifles as well. As they shoot and observe shooting, they will form opinions and possibly shatter some myths.

Being patient, mature, serious, while displaying the recreational sides of shooting, can make or break their attitudes toward shooting in the future.
People Like This 
Old 01-20-2014, 03:57 AM   #6
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

the Maverick is good solid shotgun and built almost like a Mossberg 500.

if recoil is a concern, you could always steer him towards the 20 ga instead of the 12 ga.

take it slow and let him progress at his own pace. the mere fact that he looked you up to talk and discuss owning a shotgun, especially coming from where he has, is probably a huge step for him and his wife.

above all, teach them safety with firearms first. this IMO is huge thing for those new to guns to learn before ever touching one to begin with.
kfox75 Likes This 
Old 01-20-2014, 05:26 AM   #7

Liked 2220 Times on 1525 Posts
Likes Given: 820

My experience with new shooters is they want to buy a gun right away. The ones that buy a gun right away end up with a safe queen and they never shoot enough to be confident in a self defense situation.

If they buy a maverick with an 18.5" barrel there isn't much they can do that is fun to learn to handle a gun with confidence. They will struggle to hit a skeet at all. I would advise them to buy a mossberg 500 combo. There are no savings in buying a maverick unless you buy a 18.5 barrel. The 28" maverick only has a modified choke. By the time you buy the other chokes you are real close to the cost of a mossberg 500.
texaswoodworker Likes This 
Old 01-20-2014, 06:53 AM   #8
The Apocalypse Is Coming.....

Liked 22314 Times on 12477 Posts
Likes Given: 53672

Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Deer View Post
That is no problem at all. If I can turn around in the hallway I can handle a 28" barrel in the hallway. Apparently you have never been quail or rabbit hunting. When hunting small game with dogs you get into places that make your hallway seem like Dorton arena, yet thousands of hunters manage to get off shots every day of hunting season.

I have hunted cutovers that were so thick you had to beat the brush down with the butt of your gun to walk. I have no problems with a 28" barrel in those areas, neither do the thousands of small game hunters.

Practical experience trumps the range and internet every time.
Quote:
My experience with new shooters is they want to buy a gun right away. The ones that buy a gun right away end up with a safe queen and they never shoot enough to be confident in a self defense situation.

If they buy a maverick with an 18.5" barrel there isn't much they can do that is fun to learn to handle a gun with confidence. They will struggle to hit a skeet at all. I would advise them to buy a mossberg 500 combo. There are no savings in buying a maverick unless you buy a 18.5 barrel. The 28" maverick only has a modified choke. By the time you buy the other chokes you are real close to the cost of a mossberg 500.
why do they need to buy a Mossberg with the 18.5" barrel combo, if you stated in this post on another thread that a 28" barrel would work fine for you?

IMO, based on what you are saying they could buy the lesser expensive Maverick with the 28 barrel and be done, but on the other hand, you tell them to buy the Mossberg Combo with two barrels which is higher priced. i am really confused JD. maybe you can explain yourself more clearly. iam having a har time understanding what you are trying to convey here. just curious John.

Last edited by Axxe55; 01-20-2014 at 06:56 AM.

Old 01-21-2014, 03:02 AM   #9
Not Unsafe Act Compliant!
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 2654 Times on 1610 Posts
Likes Given: 14690

Quote:

Buy the Maverick, and pick up a USED M 500 barrel and a pair of chokes. Problem solved.

Just how much does a full and an I.C. choke cost anyway? There is no way that a pair of chokes for a $250 shotgun will even come close to the cost of a $400+ 2 barrel combo on a higher priced name and model.

Si vis pacem para bellum.

There are two ways of doing something. Right and again.

If you can't be good, be great at it.
Axxe55 Likes This 
Old 01-23-2014, 02:09 AM   #10
F4U
FTF_SUPPORTER.png

Liked 1449 Times on 859 Posts
Likes Given: 1

Quote:
I would not try to push your friends from NY into owning a gun. If you push to hard they will only back away. Let them shoot your guns like the New Yorkers own them. If they want to own a gun they will go out to buy a gun.

You claim to be an accomplished shot. You know there is a lot of work involved with becoming a good shooter. Either they will do the work or they won't. All you can do is be there if they want to do the work.
Accomplished might be a bit much but I was pretty decent when I was putting150 or 200 rounds a week through my Red Label.

I don't know how long he has been in Ohio, a few years at least. He has bought at least 1 pistol since moving here. I have no idea how often he shoots or how good he is. My guess is he is a recreational shooter and goes plinking now and then. He did seem pretty amazed at the idea of walking out of the store with his new gun the same day he bought it. I have not pushed at all, he came to me with the question and I offered my opinion, and my help.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SSGN_Doc View Post
I think the Maverick is a decent gun. Let them ease into shooting at their own pace. I've taken a few new (and leery) shooters to the range because they were curious. I've found it was good to have some .22s around at a range session as well. It can introduce them gently to handguns and rifles as well. As they shoot and observe shooting, they will form opinions and possibly shatter some myths.

Being patient, mature, serious, while displaying the recreational sides of shooting, can make or break their attitudes toward shooting in the future.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Axxe55 View Post
the Maverick is good solid shotgun and built almost like a Mossberg 500.

if recoil is a concern, you could always steer him towards the 20 ga instead of the 12 ga.

take it slow and let him progress at his own pace. the mere fact that he looked you up to talk and discuss owning a shotgun, especially coming from where he has, is probably a huge step for him and his wife.

above all, teach them safety with firearms first. this IMO is huge thing for those new to guns to learn before ever touching one to begin with.
Thanks for info on the maverick, I think it will serve his purposes.

Axxe you are right about safety, and guy this will soak it up. He can be a bit of a safety Nazi on the other board we are on. I have only met his wife twice and for very brief periods of time so I don't know her well, but she is pretty thin and I think he is afraid the recoil of even a 20 gauge will be too much for her. I think this comes from a lack of experience though, most women are tougher than we give them credit for.

Doc when it warms up I hope to get them out to my parents farm for a leisurely day of shooting, with the stress on safety and fun. Then go from there.

I even thought of getting one of my cap and ball revolvers out to explain a little bit about how everything works, but I wonder if this might be pushing a little too hard.

Last edited by F4U; 01-23-2014 at 02:15 AM.
People Like This